PBP: Chelsea v. Wolves

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Boris10

Boris10 Member

Chelsea
    England
    Sep 25, 2019
    Like I said earlier, I do still like him in the right situations, he's just not worth sacrificing Mount for.

2. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    His family are from the Balkans no? Pronounced Pulisich no?

I used to be married to a Croatian called Hlupic (pronounced Hlupich)

3. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take the point.

Blueallthru repped this.
  4. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Low priority perhaps but much more interesting to debate this than the actual game! :-D

5. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I concur with that. We didn't need him tonight. Some might say we rarely need him.

6. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm neutral on all this. Better energy today than we've seen. Tuchel cuts a happier, more excited figure.

Tuchel went with experience today. Lamps never learned with Jorginho so we'll see where things go with Tuchel.

7. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is true.

I wonder how Paul Merson would pronounce it.

8. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Might be enough to keep us in tenth!

limpidrock and Dtrip77 repped this.
  9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tuchel played him there at BVB a few times when the offence from the opposing team did nothing but sit back and watch.

10. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

To play Jorginho once is unfortunate, to play him twice...

As Oscar Wilde said

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  11. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

When he was signed he gave the usual Chelsea TV interview. They asked him and he said as he was American it's ic rather than itch

Boris10 repped this.
  12. Boris10

Boris10 Member

Chelsea
    England
    Sep 25, 2019
    The actual commentators all get it correct (still some variance on which syllables to stress though) but a few ex-player pundits still get it wrong.

13. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm afraid I'm programmed to call him Pulisic (pronounced Pulisich), it's probably a European thing, if I was Christian I wouldn't take it to heart.

14. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Everton Leicester game has come on the TV here (right after ours) and in 5 minutes Leicester have had more chances than we had all game! lol

15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It starts with a whimper and not a bang. To focus on the positives:
    We didn't lose
    Clean sheet
    A new formation
    CHO
    Mount was a threat off the bench and made space in the box
    Werner did not have a bad game

Obviously more will happen in the following weeks. I can start seeing glimpses of what he wants to do and the next team selection will be telling.

Any team that comes to defend will be a difficult nut to crack especially when you are new to your squad and have no chance to impose your philosophy. Whilst a disappointing result in spite of all that, not unexpected and some things to look forward to.

PS the academy is a long way from dead, I think those players will prove their worth.

Crawleybus, Dtrip77 and Yahtzee repped this.
  16. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New coach means a new clean sheet opportunity for all the players (seasoned and academy) to impress. It rejuvenates their drive and by end of February, we'll see who is still left out

17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think we showed a lot of dynamism at first and then sputtered out. I always feel that if we don't score in the first 30, we're not scoring.

We're still just not quick enough to break lines and move into the box and challenge the keeper.

Blueallthru repped this.
  18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Not with Jorg....at least Kovacic tries to go forward. I think Spurs will be a good game to look at.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  19. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    no doubt, they are good and getting better, most better than who took their spots today but will it be for us or more ala DeBruyne and Salah?

If Lampard neither got patience nor the benefit of the doubt, what incentive is there for the new pretender to risk playing younger players...

limpidrock repped this.
  20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If what we saw from CHO and mount today is an indicator no patience needed. By the time our next crop come through we'll be 2 or 3 managers down the line :D

But I do take the point. It's one I've made for 15 years, with the need for instant success and open transfer market there is an extra degree of difficulty for young players.

I think what happens with billy will be the biggest indicator as he is less established and would have gotten more time under lampard.

Boris10 and JimWharton repped this.
  21. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just make Tuchel watch Billy's highlights from the weekend. I mean, it's night and ********ing day isn't it? Superior in every regard. Prayers up for Xavi. I mean, Billy.

22. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Havertz showed some glimpses today of the player we are hoping to see, unlucky not to have an assist and a goal

Boris10 repped this.
  23. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "We had a clear idea to start with three at the back to help defend against the two fast strikers, so we didn't have a situation where we slipped up or allowed an easy counter-attack," added the German.

Really like this observation from tuchel as we all have seen how exposed we get on the counter and true, wolves didn't offer much, but we didn't let them either. Credit due.

We are also a team that seems to specialize in giving up one or two chances which lead to goals. If we can stem that flow a little we will improve plenty and assert more control.

Far sterner tests ahead.

24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Three at the back against Wolves has usually worked for us.

That said, for this match, I'll take it. One of the things we have to remember is that Wolves is actually good. There was some urgency for once, which is nice to see.

25. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    That’s a bit of a straw man/exaggeration, but I thought we’d established that patience doesn’t exist at Chelsea. It’s not a thing. We don’t need it. We win trophies without it. It’s win or GTFO.