Chelsea v The Arsenal, EPL Match Day 25, 20 APR 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saka also has 10 and is even younger. Makes me like the idea of a facilitator/false 9 at center forward if these two continue to develop as goal scorers. Having each of your regular front three in the mid-teens for league goals can take you much of the way to where you need to challenge at the top of the table. If you can get 10 from someone like Martinelli as a spot starter and game-chasing sub, 5 or 6 from Ødegaard…and you’re in the 60s from just five players.

I wasn’t the first to say it, but I definitely touted the Rosicky comp because of his ball carrying…

But given the goal scoring development, I think the Pires comp is pretty apt.

daedalus and KevinJRogers repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you're referring at least in part to the lack of HR's going to the sideline to review plays. I think that is one of the stupidest policy guidelines in the EPL's implementation of VAR. I believe that could be done quickly, perhaps even more quickly than the VAR reviews at Stockley Park, in that HR's are already ensconced in the in-game mentality of quick decisive calls.

The first year they did their best to dissuade HR's from going to the pitchside screen. This year we see it a tad more, but still not enough IMHO.

3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I said the same thing. Their games are slightly different, but there are a lot of similarities as well. Neither is particularly fast, strong and big, but they both can play out-wide and can win you games. They also both have a knack for making hard goals look extremely simple and finding open pockets in the final third.

daedalus repped this.
  4. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    His comp is DeBruyne in terms of role(before anyone takes that literally)

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen anything close to KdB's range of passing yet, but perhaps that will come.

daedalus and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think ESR has that good 10-15 yard burst of pace, but no, he's not an Henry or Walcott sprinter. And interestingly enough both he and Bobby are 6 feet tall, not huge, but not small either.

KevinJRogers repped this.
  7. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    You see the past few City games? moreso about the positions he takes up

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    KdB's role w City requires him to create a ton more - ESR can't really do that, and it seems like he doesn't have the vision to do it.

Tonerl repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah KDB became a proper 8 under Pep

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just rewatching CHE-ARS now, while saving it to dvd.

Listening with headphones on to catch all the great singing by our supporters…

Especially: “there’s nobody here, there’s nobody here, just like the old days, there’s nobody here”. :D

And one other thing I noticed this time was on Eddie’s second goal, Laca was warming up and totally smothered him with a hug in the corner….

The old guy giving love to the young guy who’s in the process of taking his place?

Laca may be maligned and deserve some criticism, but he’s really hard to hate.

11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh, no doubt. it's not even just that play (which was great). he had a ton of good moments (including defensively). he's still work in progress (even if you ignore azpilicueta's goal) both offensively and defensively. essentially, he's just about right for a no 2 LB for us (though it would help if arteta learns to rotate more/better).

there's a part of me that just wants to see him and partey in a shooting competition.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah, both he and aubameyang have always been good about being happy for their teammates.

KevinJRogers repped this.
  13. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    ESR takes up similar positions as KdB, what he does with them will improve overtime. That's all.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kdb plays exclusively as an 8 in the right half space (obviously drifts at times)

Esr is out wide left and coming onto his right foot

I don’t see the comparison???

mebeSajid and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't see it either.

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    apparently, the 2nd and 3rd players of such age to have double-digit league goals for us. that's pretty impressive.

spreading the goalscoring duty out is a good way to handle not having an henry or lewandowski at the 9. plus, we would be far more protected against slump/bad form or injuries.

for my eyes, that's the one that resonates the most because of his ability to kind of pop into weird pockets of space and his contributions are more frequently those minor touches to move things along.

man, i would not hate it if that's where he ends up. not at all.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    IIRC De Bruyne often played as a wide attacking midfielder in his breakout season for Wolfsburg

Pep converted him and Silva (who was also more of a winger) into proper 8s

It's a common transition for younger guys to start in the wide midfield roles before being given the keys to central midfield. Schweini was also a winger when he started

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Esr doesn’t have that same ability. Kdb and silva especially were tens originally and moved back. Esr does not look like an 8 at all to me, he’s a counter attacking threat that carries the ball wide left and cuts in

he’s fine there

daedalus repped this.