Chelsea v Newcastle

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Monday evening game this one. 3pm est or noon out west.

Will we start seeing tuchel preferred 11? Will jorginho continue his hold over every manager he plays for?

Would hope we can start seeing more quality up front, juggling the forward players isn't helping produce goals. At the other end hope we continue to see good defensive work.

Looks like Havertz and Silva will be out until Southampton at least.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Win please. All I ask.

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect we see a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. Little chance we go to a back 4 with Silva out.

4. Fellini

Fellini Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Pa - USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Does Silva have a serious injury?

5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he’s expected to be back for Southampton so not too bad

6. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well it's been a great weekend so far with our immediate rivals all dropping points. It's imperative that we capitalise on this. Too many times we fail to take advantage.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm guessing the guy must look fantastic in training.

8. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Brings his acoustic guitar with him and sings old Oasis songs. He is popular at Cobham.

btw - IF Pep still wants him, we could swap him for Ilkay Gundogan?

9. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea predicted lineup (3-4-2-1): Mendy; Azpilicueta, Christensen, Rudiger; James, Jorginho, Kante, Alonso; Werner, Mount; Abraham

Maybe Kovacic? Maybe Chillwell?

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Chillwell starts as Alonso played mid week. AC was injured so prob Zouma too. Rest looks right to me. Hope Kov over Jorgy.

11. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Expecting famed midfield pivot “Jovacic” (Kovinho?) to play today though who really knows. Does Kante reassert himself as a starter today? Does CHO aka Cafu continue his RWB experience? Pulisic and Ziyech ??? Tamantha? Mason ?? BILLY ?!

Lotta questions still. At this point I don’t really give a shit who starts as long as we manage the W.

12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kepa returns

13. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    3-4-2-1

• 1Arrizabalaga

• 28Azpilicueta
    • 4Christensen
    • 2Rüdiger

• 20Hudson-Odoi
    • 5Jorginho
    • 17Kovacic
    • 3Alonso

• 19Mount
    • 11Werner

• 9Abraham
    Substitutes
    • 7Kanté
    • 10Pulisic
    • 15Zouma
    • 16Mendy
    • 18Giroud
    • 21Chilwell
    • 22Ziyech
    • 24James
    • 33Emerson

14. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Glad to see tuchel is open minded about the whole squad. Kepa had a decent game in the cup and now he gets a chance in the league.

A lot of pressure on him but if he can play to his potential it's good for us.

15. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kepa, why? Other than trying to raise his value above £3 and 20 green shield stamps.

We need to win so the best team should be out there and that doesn't include butter fingers

16. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Based on what I saw in the media, it's a clean slate and tuchel wants to see him in the league. He won't have much of a rope though I expect.

Maybe he feels these boards have been too quiet lately :D

JimWharton repped this.
  17. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ok so he made one good reaction save, to be fair he has always been good at those. But you need your keeper to be able to do the bread and butter work. I thought he still looked dodgy on crosses and hesitant in distribution.

I am fearfully for my heart rate.

18. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suspect you're not alone there. Fortunately it is a holiday here so day drinking may be necessary.

Like you say if he hesitates or makes poor decisions today, the punishment will be much harsher. Not having silva or kante is likely going to give him plenty of chances to show where he is.

19. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    On reflection I might be wrong Garry Neville just said that kepa is not good enough

20. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    TT in an interview said that he (Kepa) had a good performance last game and this was a chance to reinforce that and build his confidence and at the same time it was a chance to let Mendy relax so it was win win.

He is paid the big bucks to make these decisions. We need to take advantage of the weekend results

21. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Although you sound like you're kidding, yeah man, that is exactly why. The club's position is probably one nightmare season sitting behind the worst defense this club has trotted out in 20+ years probably shouldn't mean letting him go on a free transfer. Mendy also isn't exactly Buffon. It's more worth giving him a punt under new management than not.

22. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd understand if Thiago was playing ahead of Kepa, but with Christianson, this is a bad recipe

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AC has been good at the center of a back 3. It’s the back 4 where he’s look much more shaky

24. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    While the emphasis is on the 3 points I do sincerely hope Kante and BG break thru sooner than later. Jorg will never be the answer.

25. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The lack of both silva and kante concerns me. It would anyway but adding a goalie low on confidence is a risk. But given that newcastle are not a great team, it's a lower risk. I doubt his first league game back would be against City for instance.

We have looked more solid with 3 at the back rather than the 4 kepa has played behind previously so if we can limit the attacking efforts to the occasional hard hit shot rather than a rain of crosses and a plethora of one on ones, that plays into Kepa's acknowledged strengths and masks his weaker areas.

He has a higher ceiling than mendy imo because of that shot stopping ability. But we also know he has a low floor.

Really hope we see more than one goal today from our forwards. It's a razer's edge to rely on a clean sheet to win matches.