Chelsea v Liverpool - EPL - Dec 29 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Bird, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1 Red Bird, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Good opportunity to bounce back away against another top side. In Dalglish's last season, we had mentally poor players who failed to recover from a setback and basically gave up, letting everybody, especially the manager, down. This time we seem to have winners so let's show our mettle. Need to cut out the defensive gifts to the opposition that we've been giving all and sundry since the Arsenal game. Surely even Rodgers has noticed that we are poor at set-pieces and it matters not who the personnel is-- it's almost the same sh!t all the time.

Full team to follow after an injury update, although, I probably wouldn't change much except, maybe, one of the fullbacks.

One thing to expect is that a spotlight on Skrtel's shirt-tugging at set-pieces, especially after Rodgers's moan about Lescott on Suarez.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Unlike Man City, Chelsea are struggling to score goals. If we can get more than one we're a long way to winning this fixture.

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #3 Red Bird, Dec 27, 2013
    But remember Mourinho is the master of anti-football. He'll bore us all to death and then get Terry or somebody to pop up with goal from a set-piece at he death.

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

Ant-football? :D

5. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol. corrected in original post.

el-capitano repped this.
  6. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am all for the smash and grab here. Why not take all 3?

7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Chelski can be beaten - they will of course suck the life out of the game - but they can be beaten. Can we handle the midfield that is has just tons of class - if not steel - Ramires aside? How hungry is Luis to score a goal after not getting one yesterday? etc. etc.

Team likely will need to be the same - just because if you look at what was on the bench and what came - it didn't do much. Alberto is good for games we are winning so I think I get why he didn't come on.

-------------Migs----------------
    Johnson--Toure-Sakho--Cissokho
    -------Lucas-----Allen---------
    ----------Henderson----------
    Sterling----Suarez-----Coutinho

I did drop Skrtel - I'm tired of the goal a game he gives up on set pieces (not that the rest of the team acquits themselves any better)

kick96 repped this.
  8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rodgers has said that it will be the same squad as was involved at City excepting Moses who is ineligible.

9. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Moses can't play then bring Ibe. I guess we start the same team. I think our lads feel hard done by the result yesterday. Should be a good game.

10. coachamurton

coachamurton Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I like the consistency our back four are getting, only change I would make there is if Flanno was healthy. But otherwise no real changes back there. I might consider putting Countinho on the bench to give him some rest if he is as tired as he started to look last game. But that could just be the speed of the Citeh game that got him. But other than that no changes in the midfield or up top either.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  11. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Alberto come off the bench if we need a goal. I was clamoring for him yesterday but we got Moses instead. Aspas isn't a bad option either, but I think we'll need a guy who can pick a pass to unlock what will undoubtedly be a bus parked in front of the Chelsea goal.

B.A. repped this.
  12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aspas is just stuck in no-mans land - one of the reasons I said in these recent blow outs he should have been given 15-20 a game to help get acclimated.

13. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #13 idreamofpikas, Dec 27, 2013
    Sterling has scored 2 of his goals in the last 10 minutes of games, had we been taking him off for Aspas we might not have seen his increased confidence and there is no guarantee that Aspas would of picked up his form as he started 4 games at the start of the season with little to show for it.

edit: he has started 4 games and came off the bench in 4 others and has still only managed 2 shots all season, I'm not really sure an extra 20 minutes would have made much of a difference.

14. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus where did you find that, that's hilarious lmao

el-capitano repped this.
  15. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Chelsea was the much more likely game for us to grab the 3 points from. Like how we played against City, do it Sunday and we should win.

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I thought we drew with Citeh, just didn't get the one point.

LiverpoolFanatic and el-capitano repped this.
  17. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stamford Bridge is a fortress for us, however it certainly wasn't during Mourinho's first tenure at Chelsea. It'll be interesting. The City loss raises the urgency to an extent, although I'm gonna be honest, I won't be upset with a draw. We ought to go all out and try to win this one though, it's a much more winnable game than @ City.

18. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also I apologize if this was already mentioned, but Ramires got his 5th yellow the other day and can't play. That's a big big loss for them, and something we absolutely must exploit.

19. kick96

kick96 Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Drop Skrtel... That is all

20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho is still undefeated at Stamford Bridge, is he not? Draw would be a good result. Maybe Suarez can work some magic as he has all season, that's what I think it would take for a win... but any way you look at it, getting something from this match is nothing to scoff at, especially with the top of the table so congested.

Arsenal loss and LFC win would be wonderful, so I'm hoping for 2-0 to the good. I expect 1-1, though.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Jose's doing a Buck:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1177306/Mourinho-Reds-are-title-contenders

22. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He has a bigger and better squad. And we need to beware Mourinho; although he loves the sound of his own voice, he can squeeze the entertainment juices out of a football and still win it.

I'm hoping we spent yesterday recovering and tactical boardwork, and then some light tactical work on the pitch (set-pieces, anyone?)

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news.

25. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I really, REALLY want to win this one. If anything just to shut the pundits up who keep saying Chelsea will win the title.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.