Chelsea v. Arsenal, post match [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by jamison, Sep 1, 2002.

1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Little bit of pbp here.

1-0 Chelsea in the 50th minute.

Zola with a goal on a free kick that bounced through the box and into the net. Looked like Seaman was expecting a re-direction from Gudjohnsen that never came, and when it came time to stop the shot, it was too late. Gallas was also crashing back post and might have distracted seaman out of the corner of his eye.

Vieira just sent off rather harshly for his second yellow after a tackle on Gronkjaer in which he stepped on Gronk's foot. Seemed a very suspect card, as Jesper made a meal out of some rather light contact. The ball had gone though, so I guess I see the ref's point, but Vieira has been sent off 8 times in the EPL, and twice now by this very ref.

Arsenal are struggling at this point of the match, and are not helped by the ref at this point. Wiltord and Gronkjaer both yellowed for a struggle on a dead ball.

This match is getting uglier by the moment. Chelsea started strong, Arsenal answered back with pressure in the 20th minute or so, but Zola's goal around 35' seems to have lifted the home side who had many more chances at the end of the first half, followed by the better of the play in the second to this point. Looks like Arsenal will need shades of last weeks performance @ west ham to pull this one out.

2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    And that took all of 5 minutes. Toure gets a goal on a header to draw the game level at 1-1 on the 60th minute. Appeals for offside by the keeper, denied. Interesting to see if Arsenal can hang on for the point on the road with 10 men.

3. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    82nd minute, still 1-1.

Cygan on for Kanu as Arsenal look content to take the one point and go home. Hasselbaink was inserted by Ranieri to try to break the deadlock, but so far it's been a midfield battle with few clear chances since Vieira departed.

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    And that's the game.

FT 1-1.

The explosion buff was referring to (merge threads?) was after a pretty reckless challenge on the touch line. He took the player down (gronkjaer?) after the ball had passed with a pretty solid brian leetch-esque hip check. He was fortunate not to be carded, and since he was sitting on one card already, not to be ejected.

Arsenal hang on despite being down 10 men for over 40 minutes. On the arsenal goal, it was a Cole cross into the box that just eluded the Chelsea defender and was shot on frame by wiltord. Cudicini got a hand on it, but only deflected it up. Toure ran onto it and finished, but it might have bounced into the net anyway.

Not their best effort of the season, but once again they show that even when not playing their best on the road they can still scratch out points. And, if you consider the fact that they were missing nearly half of their starting lineup (henry, db10, pires, ljungy) and had to do without vieira for 40 minutes, it was a special point they earned. Not many teams can be missing that talent, go down a goal, lose a player, and come back on the road to win points.

The draw does, however, leave us 2 points behind spurs on 4 games played, 10-8. Liverpool (on 7 points from 3 played) go tomorrow against Newcastle for the chance to vault past us into a tie at the top.

5. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Felt that Chelsea (of course with the man up) looked closer to winning, but being the sportsman that I am (please please...spare me the compliments)...

...i feel that Viera got unjustly sent off...I'm sorry to say it...but it looks like it knives out for Viera this year with officials...

And this ref in particular was a wanker and a half for a horribly officiated game (had no control whatsoever!?!?!)

Last thing...the logo sucks...and so do the kits (do yourselves a favor and at least sue nike!?!?!?) :p

6. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    BBC
    Ananova
    Sporting Life
    I'm still clueless as to why Wiltord was still on the pitch at the end. :confused:

7. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerNet
    *Note: The Sporting Life article contains the result of Bolton-Aston Villa

8. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Was I the only one thinking that the foul looked very similar to Cole-Cisse incedent. I'd be interested to see if that card is even thought about being recended. In fairness tho, Wiltord could have been sent off for that push and was quite lucky not to have been. Maybe a makeup call?

9. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Being a man down, I'll take the point. The call on Viera was justifed for the first yellow. The red card was complete BS (and I don't mean big soccer) !

Wiltord's WWE style pushing and scrapping after Viera's exit was really pushing the envelope and he was lucky the wanker of a ref didn't send him packing as well.

Lastly, when you get the ball in front of the net and it's just you and the keeper......Shoot The Ball Ray!!!

10. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Nope, I thought the same thing, although to be fair Vieira's contact was more apparent than Cisse's, so this one might be harder to rescind.

As far as Wiltord not being sent off, I agree that he could have probably gone for that late foul on the touch line. But as far as the shove goes, I think yellow was right. He didn't hit Gronkjaer in the face (unlike Keane against McAteer), and I've seen plenty of incidents where players shove but still stay on after a yellow.

Hey, missed calls are part of the game. I thought Toure was offside when Wiltord took the shot today, so the goal should have been disallowed. I thought Niall Quinn dove like Greg Louganis a couple of games ago against Everton to draw a penalty against Richard Wright. I thought that the ref in the USA/Germany match was correct not to award a penalty to the US, while Franz Beckenbauer thought it was a clear-cut penalty.

As far as the game itself, we lined up with 4 defensive midfielders, an in-form Wiltord and an inconsistent Kanu. Missing Henry, Pires, Ljungberg, and Bergy, we were always going to struggle to score against a pretty good defensive team. Besides the Zola free kick they never really put us under any major threat. Neither team played their best, I'll definitely take the point.

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Without a doubt, a point well earned. Any info on what is ailing Henry? I can't seem to find anything on that.

12. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    michaec posted a link in another thread that Henry bruised a toe in training. EDIT. Henry Winter's game story in the Telegraph calls it a bruised ankle.

Speaking of injuries, Sol looks to be out of the Saturday England match against Portugal. The Sky Sports News crawler said that Sol came out of today's match at half time. Interesting, since I thought he played great throughout the entire match today.

13. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Scrappy game, good result.

14. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Many comments were made as to what Chelsea squad would show up and the bigger question was What Arsenal team was that? Chelsea actually put up a mid-road performance while Arsenal looked flat horrible. Keown and Campbell were good and strong but the midfield and forwards were ineffective at best. The fact we missed Henry was too obvious. Kanu was a joke and Wiltord is not a primary striker. Wiltord seems to thrive on the creation of others and he had no help in this one.

Our passing was poor and seemed to be aimed at the Chelsea players. When we go to 10 men suddenly we become more active, pass the ball better and finally started going to goal. AC3 could not make a run all game until Vieira is sent off and then creates the scoring opportunity. I wonder if this is not A captian wanting to get thrown out to charge up his teammates. I doubt it strongly but it worked.

Vieira may not have deserved the second yellow but if you watch they way he treated the ref, it didnt matter what happened he was a marked man.

We got out of Stanford Bridge with a valuable point. and it really doesnt matter how it happened.

15. BazoDee!

BazoDee! New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    B'klyn
    Itemizing

1) Toure was not offside. The shot was just that: a shot. When the keeper hit the ball out from goal, the ball was moving backward, not forward. If the ball is passed backward, (i.e. away from goal), you can't be offside.

2) Kanu is a joke. For such a tall guy, when he decides to dribble, he is decidedly flat-footed, stagnant.

3)Should've brought on young, hungry talent. Pennant, Aliadiere.

4) Captains don't get thrown off to charge up their side and serve a suspension unless they are @ssholes. (Did somebody say Keane? Naaaahhh. He's having hip surgery, so what the hell if they give him a suspension?)

5) Parlour was just out for a stroll in the 77th minute.

6) I'll settle for the one point under these circumstances. But as I mentioned in another thread, we're the Gunners. League and Cup Champions. We've got to go into these types of matches expecting three points, derby or no. Currently, the Hammers are in dead last place with one point, and it pains me knowing that it came courtesy of our Gunners.

Dave.

16. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Re: Itemizing

In this situation the determination of if a player is in an offside position is made when the shot is taken and has nothing to do with the keeper touching to ball to make a save unless they changed this rule recently.

17. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Agreed on the amount of contact. Its just that with the decision D'Urso made to not even review the card can't help but make me feel a little paranoid.

I think the person who sent the mail about halfway down the page summed my feelings best:

(taken from http://www.football365.com/You_Say_We_say/MailBox/story_39589.shtml)