Chelsea TV Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Dear_Claudio, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think that's at all what we should expect.

I was worried when I first heard the news today but the more I've thought about it the more I like it. NBC Sports Network is growing into a giant, and the only way they can fight the monolith (ESPN) is by producing really high-quality content. NBC (the free-to-air channel, not NBCSN) has been airing some MLS games. Imagine what they would do with the Premier League, especially as it could be their headlining act -- so to speak -- after the Sunday night NFL game of the week.

This could be very, very good for the Premier League and the continuing growth of the game as a whole. FSC has made a major mistake by putting all of its eggs in the Champions League basket.

2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think they were intending to. Given the cost of the EPL package tripled, I bet they had never budgeted on the NBC scale and I reckon there are shockwaves over there right now. I don't know anyone over there so its pure speculation on my part.

3. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Back in the 1970's a station did that with an NFL game. Didn't have the advanced cameras and angles that they have now, though.

4. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yeah, this is really too bad for FSC. I don't get NBCSN but imagine it'll be in the package in the future. But what I don't like is that FSC was designed around the PL, now there will have to be a whole new transition.

Do not like.

5. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Blame the big dog, FOX, instead of the people FSC. They have had a stranglehold on the Premier League for years and the most they've done is show replays up against NFL games. FOX has the World Series, Super Bowls and have even started investing major cash into college football. FSC is just a half-assed side project when compared to what NBC is doing with its sports channel.

NBC Sports is the best in the business right now so I am very excited about the possibilities. A network that is willing to put MLS on free-to-air is showing commitment.

JediSoccer repped this.
  6. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    personally I like what FSC currently has going, although I do not care for the current format of the News show, but they seem to have a healthy balance which tailors to the appropriate audience with the majority of their broadcasts. I think Barton generally talks sense, Wynalda clearly appeals to a certain "more hyper" contingent and McBride is a good balance in the middle.

For those of you who remember the early days of the ESPN broadcasts and the "bulge in the old onion bag" will realise how much better things are now

What concerns me is how long will it take NBC to get it right.

7. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Very true, but ESPN have done excellent work on both the World Cups and the Euros that they've had. I can't believe they haven't made more of a push to get the rights, especially since there's no way NBC is going to sub-lease games to their rival network.

Good point. Biggest fear must be some attempt to use American commentators, but I really doubt that will be the case.

fernb8 repped this.
  8. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  9. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Can't wait for Arlo White to be calling EPL matches.

10. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think he'd do great. Man, has he climbed up the ladder. What do you think?

11. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    I think if they have a presentation not too dissimilar to their olympics coverage, it will be top notch. Except for the time delays of course.

12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    tbh Pete I think their Olympic coverage is pretty poor

just my two cents

13. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Their coverage as a whole or just specific to the football/soccer? Because I was referring to the latter.

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    as a whole

I agree with you on football, thought that was good

15. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Awesome. I have watched Notre Dame games when I'm at work using that app, and the picture quality and consistency (i.e. no skipping) is fabulous.

My pants just got a whole lot tighter.

16. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully all the coverage will be included at cost unlike the fox on the go rip off we currently have going on that doesn't even show the games it purports to. Not having to pay for two channels (fsc and fsp) will be nice too.

I'm going to stay optimistic that this is ultimately a good thing and if fox can step up the ancillary programming to justify their existence of fsc, even better

17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know this is a tv thread and I'm likely late to the party having only just discovered this in early October, but talksport.com (not co.uk) have audio commentary of all EPL games online outside of Europe. I've been using the crap out of it as I'm often out of the house on Saturdays and it's super convenient for listening to whilst driving. Just need to set up a free account and off you go.

Dear_Claudio repped this.
  18. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm going to be in Spokane for the next week and will be there over the weekend. Is there anywhere to watch the FA Cup tie against Yanited? Anyone familiar with the Spokane area enough to recommend a pub?

Thanks lads.

19. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    back to the NBC rights....

i know NBC said they'd have all games available live, which is excellent, but are the channels mostly basic cable channels? or extras? i'm wondering what type of package will be required to get all games. footy is literally the ONLY reason we have cable in the house, and to get FSC currently we have to get a monster package. i'm hoping that will decrease.

also, does anyone know if there will be any online streaming options through NBC such as foxsoccer2go (which i've become quite a fan of). it would be even better if i had a monthly subscription only to some NBC online service that got the games, and do away with the rest of cable. just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this. right now through foxsoccer2go, i get all CL games right on my phone so i can watch it all at work, i've found that to be worth the $20/month. plus replays whenever i want, almost eliminating my need to DVR, and all fox soccer plus games are shown live on the weekend, only needing a few hours delay to watch the FSC stuff. i've almost thought about giving up cable in the current format with foxsoccer2go, only problem is chelsea is mostly only on FSC on the weekends, usually not plus.

lobomojo repped this.
  20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does this help (I think this is fairly reasonable on the subject of channels that may be used, but it may change - may already have been revised).

http://epltalk.com/2012/10/28/14-th...overage-plans-for-the-premier-league-2013-16/

lobomojo, Wrath and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  21. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    still have quantity concerns on actual tv,; concerns re: streaming availability, cost and quality, and though Spanish would be preferable perhaps to some of the crap announcers we get now, Dish does not do ala carte Spanish and one could be stuck with $50-60 + to add that package:eek:; and fears they could go more all "yo Americans this is a bulging onion sack" on us though Fox regressed a bit that direction this year; and I don't think NBS Sports is close to quality, in fact i think they are shit in Olympics, conferencing-motorcycle-helmet-wearing football :D, and college basketball and I hate young entitled punk-kids smoking my lawn...and I definitely missed Judge Woppner and.....................

22. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah I have this mega contract with Verizon already. Hopefully I would not have to add to that.

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    http://www.capitalnewyork.com/artic...s-rising-popularity-killing-fox-soccer-channe

been quite busy with fixtures so didn't have time to post this but Fox announced a couple of days ago that FSC is being shut down

no real surprise but stinks for those who enjoyed the coverage. Hopefully NBC will step up their game as they have been shit with the Olympics and if they are wise they should snap up some of the FSC crew (Barton especially).

Blueallthru and lobomojo repped this.
  24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  25. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA