Chelsea TV Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Dear_Claudio, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  2. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Re: BREAKING NEWS: ESPN (USA) picks up Premier League for 09/10

Not quite sure what to make of this. While I will enjoy watching the games on my tv as opposed to my computer but if I have to suffer through Alexi Lalas or Tommy Smyth I would almost prefer to watch it on my computer. Granted there is always the mute button but if ESPN were smart they would just bring over old Setana people to comment on the games. We will see.

3. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Re: nvm

I'm trying to lock/delete this thread since I cannot find any other source for this. As for the commentator thing, I think ESPN would do their own studio full of clowns for pre/HT/post game coverage but would simply use UK-based commentators.

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Re: ESPN picks up Premier League in America? First game Chelsea/Hull?

If true, awesome.

Only problem I can see is how they'll schedule things for college football.

5. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Beginning on August 15, 2009, each week ESPN will feature the 7:45am ET Saturday game and the 3pm ET Monday game.

There is no college football at either of those times. ESPN should worry a lot more about La Liga as anything on Sunday will get blown away by the billion pound gorilla NFL.

6. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Would be nice if true, even though I know a lot here don't like ESPN. Basic cable is my only option at school, and TV is better than stream any day. I know Smyth and the rest of the crew are poor, but I turn down the volume on Chinese commentators anyways.

7. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

The main thing for me would be HD. The picture quality on Setanta and Fox Soccer is bad imo, especially on a 50" tv

8. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

These games are the same times that ESPN picked up in the UK. Their UK broadcasts will be in HD. Therefore, I can only assume it will be ESPN's UK feed coming to the States, hence it would be in HD and have quality like Ray Stubbs rather than the trash we've been forced into listening to. I must wonder why ESPN didn't start to monopolize footie in the US by keeping hold of the Champions League rights. Imagine that plus EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga:eek:They also have Serie A in the UK so that may be following in the next year or two over here:)

9. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Good point, perhaps they didnt expect to be outbid by Fox, or they thought about buying out setanta us, or they sacrificed the CL rights to make a huge bid for the EPL US rights when it goes up for bid? Who knows?

But you have to think that with the EPL deal, the La Liga deal and Bundesliga, that this will lead to ESPN finally creating a soccer/football channel?

10. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Probably a year away from something like that. This experiment will need to work and they'll have to secure full rights for the PL for that to work. Also, does anyone know long FSC has the CL for? I've been a long time supporter of FSC and the channel really got me into the game back when it was Fox Sports World, but I would much prefer ESPN to have as much as possible because I only have basic cable at school and ESPN360 is amazing if the right things are on it (such as Newcastle/WBA this weekend:)).

11. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007

Espn footy will happen.

12. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I love ESPN already. They've pretty much doubled the football available to watch in the UK and they've only been running a matter of days.

Premiership
    SPL
    Serie A NEW
    Bundesliga
    Eredivisie NEW
    Portuguese Liga NEW
    Russian Premier League NEW
    MLS NEW

As well as continuing the NCAA football. Super stuff.

13. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA

The levy has really, truly broken with regards to soccer and this country, good stuff.

14. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Right. The US Premiere League TV rights go up for auction at the end of the summer supposedly. These are the rights for the start of the 2010-2011 season. I think if ESPN gets those rights, then that would most likely green lights a soccer channel for the start of next season.

I believe the FSC CL rights is for 3 years

15. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm still probably more likely to go to the pub early in the morning for Chelsea's fixtures anyway, whether they're being aired on ESPN or not.

The idea's still nice, though. Should there come a morning when I'm too tired or lazy to get out of my house, ESPN will suffice.

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

This would be really really good.

17. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

This would be good! I hope they use the UK announcers because it just has a better feel to it

The walls are breaking down in USA for sure.

I think one day people are going to realize that a running back slamming into the line for a 2 yard gain and then 60 seconds expiring before the next play can become rather boring.

18. ElSpruceMoose

ElSpruceMoose Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX

I disagree that people will decide American football is boring, but I do think more people will decide that other codes of football are enjoyable as well.

America is a multi-sport nation. If a person watches one sport, chances are they watch another as well. We're beginning to see the evolution of a casual soccer fan in America, something that is drastically needed if this sport is to "get big" here.

19. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think that's selling football a little short, but the TV breaks have really damaged the game.

I actually think MLS is on the rise mroe than European soccer. While trying to get a fantasy league going with my friends over half the people I asked said they only follow MLS really and don't know much about the EPL. MLS really is getting bigger, and I think getting European rights will really help both grow.

20. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

One of my other favorite sports has always been hockey. I used to play street and floor hockey with friends growing up. I supported the Boston Bruins, about 10 years ago I started to drift away from the sport. I would watch it here and there. But the last couple of years I have barely watched any games. This past season during the playoffs I tried to watch some Bruins games. My cousin is a die hard fan, kept trying getting me back into it. I tried to watch a game, I changed the channel after about 25 minutes, couldnt bare the commercial breaks. When all I pretty much watch for sports is football/soccer, trying to watch a sport like hockey with commercial breaks, it was torture. Anyone else feel this way?

21. StamfordBridgeView

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This WOULD be great, but unfortuanetly, I havent heard anything outside of the first link. The link was posted here almost 24 hours ago, and at last check, I have heard nothing, and just looked at both ESPN.com and Soccernet.com, and so far have heard nothing.

It would be great, I just dont understand why they would announce this so late, especially since I was under the thought that Setanta US was still up and still had all the rights to the games.....

22. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I feel that way when baseball season first starts and it's after 9 months of soccer. Yeah, I wanna watch the Cubs play but holy crap is it boring until you get used to it. The thing about a footie match is you block off 2 hours of time and that's what you do practically the whole time. Every Saturday for college football I can easily watch 3 games (or more!) simultaneously and obviously the same for NFL ball. Good point.

Apparently Setanta had dropped those games from their schedule so there must be something in this.

23. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/08/morning-ticker-epl-to-espn-fc-dallas-wins-again-and-more.html

ESPN has yet to confirm the deal, but EPL Talk has usually been spot-on when it comes to EPL broadcasting news. (UPDATE-Sources tell me no deal is finalized yet, but that talks are underway. In other words, you might want to hold off on the celebration until something official is announced.)

24. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA

In other words, Ives doesn't want it to be a story till he has broken it.

25. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here, here!

rep given.

Would be good for the development of the sport in this country if ESPN gets these rights. It would also be good to shut Jim Rome the f*ck up from all his badgering of soccer's development in the US.