Chelsea bid £32m for Gerrard

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by BridgeMonkee, Jul 4, 2005.

1. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Scousers arent exactly the most politically correct people in the land are they?

Wait...am i racist against the scousers? Wait....they dont actually count as "people".

2. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    25 plus Tiago. They can' beat that now, Gerrard wants to leave.:D

3. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    20 mil + jarosik + tiago

4. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what makes you think rafa would want either of them or that mourinho would be willing to let tiago go? seems to me like mourihno has alot of confidence in tiago, and would probably like to keep him incase of injury to lampard,gerrard, del horno, gallas or makalele because of his versatility. i'm not too family with him but he can play d-mid and left and right back cant he? and then when you add in the Porto connection i think Tiago would be near the top of players he wants to keep, especially since Tiago is a known quantity in his system while gerrard is not just yet.

you know, you cockney rent boys arent too bad a bunch :D
    you'd think chelsea fans and liverpool fans would be friendlier (most of the animosity stems from the gerrard deal and the breaking of alonzo's ankle)
    considering how much the two managers like each other, and how both of us are trying to break the Man u, Arsenal stranglehold (well one of us is still trying anyway) you'd think we'd find more in common. if you guys would just get rid of kenyon and send him back to the mancs (that is what you guys got arnesen for right?) i think it might possibbly somehow be the dawn of new friendlier relations between the two supporter groups :D

maybe.

5. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4654837.stm
    Liverpool are waiting on a new offer from Chelsea before giving Steven Gerrard the green light to make a British record move to Stamford Bridge.
    Chelsea's opening £32m bid was rejected by Liverpool, but talks are understood to have resumed between the clubs after Gerrard, 25, demanded to quit Anfield.

The Blues are likely to land Gerrard with an offer of £35m, which could rise to almost £40m with additions.

Liverpool may ask for Chelsea's Damien Duff in exchange, according to reports.

Real Madrid have also declared an interest, but it is understood Gerrard has no desire to play in Spain and is only interested in a move to Chelsea.

The Bernabeu giants are also unable to match Roman Abramovich's financial muscle.

A deal is likely to be struck quickly, with Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez keen to start bringing in re-inforcements now as Gerrard has finally ended the saga of his future.

Sounds like a deal might be struck before I'm even able to get this post up.

6. Badbark

Badbark Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Bangor, N. Ireland
    News Flash - BBC are now reporting that Gerrard has had a change of heart and now wants to stay! Thank ************, I'd rather keep Duff than gain Gerrard. Get us SWP and I'll be happy.

Badbark

7. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005

Gerrard is such an fvcking tease. ;) I'm not upset with the outcome (should this be it) in the slightest.

So now will Chelsea make a huge bid for Essien?

EDIT: link for Gerrard u-turn story

8. sydneymuganzi

sydneymuganzi Member

Jul 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There is something probably wrong with him.He isn't in the right state of mind.We shouldn't sign someone who is not sure about what he wants for himself.You can't say you want to go,then have a change of mind a few hours later.Will this player have the heart to play.On the bright side at least we shall not be giving them the 30m.Lets now concentrate all our efforts on Adriano.With Vieri leaving Inter I think they have a striker in the pipeline.Wish they could get Gila and leave Adr for us.

9. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ho-Hum. Good luck to him at Anfield.

Fact is he's not very happy there.

10. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It is a tragic situation for him. He is not happy at the club. He is not happy with his teamates and manager. But everytime he wants to leave the fans beg him to stay and he stays. Quite sad really.

11. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    it'll be interesting to see now how many liverpool fans who claimed yesterday that gerrard was equal to scum for wanting to leave,will also do a u-turn today and proclaim him red through and through ;)

edit: & i dont just mean the b.s. board liverpool fans by the way.....

12. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    And will they outnumber the Chelsea fans who now say they didn't want him in the 1st place ?? :p

13. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nah, we wanted him. He's a great player. Even if he is a mentally unstable prima dona :p

14. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    or the arsenal fans who changed their minds about viera durning the whole madrid transfer saga...........the mind boggles ;) :D

15. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I can see this replacing the annual Viera to RM story

16. icecoolguy22

icecoolguy22 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    I will never trust Steve G again after this :D I can see this happens few years down the track, prima dona at his best! Based on what we have seen here, had he signed with us, one day he would pull a sickie the morning before an Anfield game.

17. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Of course it will happen again! He'll come crawling back to Chelsea next summer begging them to sign him.

He'll realize his mistake when TNS knocks them out in the 1st qualifying round and when Liverpool once again finish outside the top four. :p

18. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    im pretty sure he's already starting to regret his decision and once Rafa insists that he starts taking spanish lessons lol

19. Grim_Reaper

Grim_Reaper New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    HA Ha Ha,

Stevie boy has just torpedoed Rafa's rebuild fund...

Liverpool will be 35 points behind Chelsea -AGAIN- next season..

And read this ....

Dectech, a leading football forecasting firm, today gave its verdict on Steven Gerrard: he is worth about GBP0.8 million per season. Since he is currently paid around GBP4.0 million, Liverpool will lose GBP6.0 million if they retain him to the end of his contract.

This valuation is based on a detailed analysis of every action of every player in every game over the last three Seasons. Using sophisiticated statistical techniques Dectech are able to strip away the many variables that influence a match and focus in on an individual player's performance.

On this basis, Gerrard is not a superlative midfielder. For example, his bad pass rate in the opposition half last Season climbed from 10 per game to nearly 14, one of the worst rankings in the Premiership. Likewise, by Season end he was assisting in one goal per 10 games compared to one goal in 3 at the start.

Dr. Henry Stott of Dectech said "No-one is claiming that Gerrard isn't good. But he isn't worth GBP32 million either. Compare him with Tim Cahill, Tiago or Damien Duff. These are all better midfielders who have recently transferred for less. In the case of Cahill, his Everton transfer last year was for GBP1.5 million. Last Season he scored 11 goals for Everton, 4 more than Gerrard scored for Liverpool."

He continued "Our valuation approach has proved very accurate in the past, but when you get a discrepancy like this, it needs explaining. In this case, I think we're seeing two discontinuities. Firstly, because of its financial backing, Chelsea is distorting the transfer market beyond recognition. Secondly, Gerrard's agents, SFX can talk a better game than he plays."

20. The_Special_One

The_Special_One New Member

May 17, 2005
    london
    Just wondering, where in gods name where we actually going to play Gerrard if we had bought him? Surely we would have to leave one of our best players from last season out to accommodate him in that midfield.

21. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    excellent find! Plus won't other pool players be wanting increments as well... ah who cares, stevie's made one mistake after another and pool's silly to make it with him. Anyway, after this, i doubt many clubs trusts his fickle mind. he will never win the EPL in his life thats for sure.

22. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Statistics, what a wonderful thing, but I dont think you'll find many managers ringing them up before signing a new player. Comparing him with damien Duff just shows that.It's a load of bollocks.

23. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Good player. Glad he's staying at 'Pool. He's not worth that money, especially since we'd be giving it to a potential competitor.

24. KopThat!

KopThat! Red Card

Aug 16, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    But you don't have to WORRY about the money. It's not coming out of YOUR pockets. It's coming out of the Russian's and he has seemingly unlimited funds. As for not being worth the money, well if what you paid for Drogba is any indication then Gerrard is worth £60 million at least. Probably £100 million.

25. KopThat!

KopThat! Red Card

Aug 16, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Hmmmm, and I'm sure this time last year you would have said the same thing about him and the Champions League. Ooooops.*s*************.

Maybe at the last minute Gerrard had flashbacks of the semi final at the plastic Bridge. I guess he didn't fancy the idea of playing in a morgue week in week out in front of THAT sorry lot. Yeah, that probably settled it. Boom boom! :p