Chelsea bid £32m for Gerrard

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by BridgeMonkee, Jul 4, 2005.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Well, they've got more English players than Liverpool.

2. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why I think Gerrard wants to leave:

<o =""></o>His decision had nothing to do with money - Gerrard thinks he has a better chance of winning future trophies elsewhere, which, of course, is true.

Liverpool fans have been deluding themselves into thinking that because they made that great run through the CL tournament it somehow has put them on a par with the big boys -- today's big boys, not the big boys of the past. But Gerrard is smart enough to know that they really have little chance of competing for more top level hardware over the next few years and he wants to go to a club big enough today -- not big enough yesterday -- to win the big trophies on a consistent basis.

<o =""></o>Question is does he want to win medals in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Spain</st1:country-region> or in England?

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bit more than OK, frankly... twice European footballer of the year there, wasn't he?

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I mentioned this on the ;pool boards but didn't want to labour the point under the circs'. When Benitez came there was Mikey, Steve, Spud Murphy and Carra... I think that Owen may have jerked them around on a new contract and all that but, regardless of the reason, they end up with just the two of them.

They've even shipped out Kirkland on loan and brought in some other Spanish fella, haven't they? Didn't Bnitez call him the best keeper in Spain or something? Well, that's obviously twoddle for a start.

If you look at the guys that Benitez has brought in outside of the goalkeeper position over the past couple of weeks I've been scratching my head and asking 'WHO?'. I'm sure they'll do a good job for Liverpool at some point... Benitez is no mug... but even so! I can't help thinking it's all played a part. I think that's what StevieG meant when he talked about 'What's gone on in the past 4-5 weeks'.

Weren't he, Mikey and Spud best mates or something? Or did I dream it.

Anyway, shame it's worked out like this cause I like the lad and the way he plays.

5. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il
    Uh, what happened to the transfer truce with Real? What did that last, a day?

6. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    article on Gerrard effect on cole:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-1682485,00.html

and the part that makes me a bit nervous along with pool actually having better results without Gerrard than with the last couple of years, I think, but who am I to aurgue with the special one and the special monkee

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...errard+fit+in+at+Chelsea?&channel=premiership

And Happy Birtday 11.

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

Not only is he a know all kunt, he has a good sense of humour...

too bad he is an old git!

8. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you guys think of the purported offering of Duff +25 mil for gerrard?
    sounds like **************** to me, why would Duff want to leave chelsea, he seems to love it there. my bet is on 35 mil with the clauses rising to 40

this is what the Mirror says
    After having an initial bid of £32m turned down, Chelsea insisted they will not go above £35m and pay what they described as "silly money".

The British record is £30m paid by Manchester United to Leeds for Rio Ferdinand.

If Liverpool can tempt Chelsea to give them £25m plus Ireland international Duff, a deal will be rushed through by the end of proceedings tomorrow.

If not, then Liverpool will push for a £35m fee plus add-ons to take the total to £40m. While Chelsea will still haggle, there is a will on both sides to find a solution and it looks certain to happen.

i really cant see duff agreeing to a move.

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    kinda goes together me thinks. :D

10. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Sorry Monkee but I think its all about money. The hubcap theives just won the CL for fecks sake, and although they finished 38 points behind us in the League they surely are planning on improving next season (upgrade at keeper, a few more Degos in to help, Everton coming back to reality, etc) and should be a little closer this season than last.
    So why does he want to leave? Perhaps the new regime at El Anfield doesnt sit quite well, perhaps siestas and mugging grannies dont go well together, perhaps a sombrero doesnt go well with a tracksuit and trainers, who knows?
    It could be that Stevie caught the "look how much so and so is making" disease. Rio wants 120 grand a week, our Frankie has just signed to better terms, Parker is on 55 grand a week with the bar code army! So perhaps Stevie thinks he worth a ******** load more than the Pool are offering. I think he wants to be thought of and paid amongst the top midfielders in the world and I dont think that the Scousers are willing to do that.
    All in all, I dont know how I feel about this. IMO most of us, myself included, would have sold our grans last summer if we could have landed him, but why am I (and seems like several of you) so disillusioned now?
    Perhaps I need a beer.

11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

I hope you didnt highlight my name as part of that jasik

although I do agree know all kunt and old git go together.

12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Cant see Duffer leaving. JM rates him highly and most of us saw how bad things got against you lot when we didnt have any healthy wingers. Think this still goes back to the time when it was between us and the Scouse to see who could get him from the Thugs (Blackburn). Just the media with nothing better to do IMO.

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Duff wont' leave. We need all the wingers we can get and Jose knows it. Also, Duff is not Spanish, so i don't see why Pool would want him.

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

He has quite a good Spanish tan though. The El Duffo!

15. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think 1. it's because you dont really feel like you need him anymore, considering how successful the current team was last year and 2. because it goes against your inherent feelings as a football fan imo. Gerrard and Carragher were to liverpool what Lampard and Terry are to chelsea. i think even though you guys will benefit from it, and even though you are fans of the "evil empire" so to speak, you still think it's a shame that an icon like gerrard is leaving for money.

Like someone said on a liverpool board, to you Gerrard will just be a great player, another player on the team books, your heroes are Terry and Lampard.
    To the liverpool fans Gerrard was an icon, to those in liverpool actual he was close to a son to all of them, one of "them" who had made it, and was living out all of their dreams, and for him to basically spit on them and the club they love after they held him up on a pedestal, stinks, no matter what viewpoint it comes from.

i doubt any of you would be having feelings of disillusionment if we had lost to you in the semifinals and not had champions league football because he would have had a damn good reason to move. but his cries of wanting more trophies ring hollow after lifting the CL trophy, and winning everything but the premiership with liverpool over his stay with us.

sorry for the long rant, but basically i think you guys are lukewarm towards it because you guys are human and you guys are football fans just like us bindippers, and we all wish there was a little more loyalty in footballers today.
    it's just lucky for you that you'll probably never have to worry about players leaving.

disclaimer: i'm not a psycologist, and i apologize if i am completely ********ing wrong :D

16. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    I agree, duff would hate to leave and JM knows better the winger situation in chelsea. Duff is an either footed crosser and that is an asset more than anything else. 35 mil quid is already "silly money". its all getting a little surreal. its like playing CM.

17. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    His claims of wanting more trophies still have merit. His interest in moving to Madrid, though, kind of throw that off. I hope he doesn't end up here, if he knows what's good for him he won't go to Madrid. That leaves only the Italian clubs. I'd say Juve could be a darkhorse to sign him.

18. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Takkie again.
    damn good post, and some good insight from a Pool fan

I suppose that is part of it. I wouldnt know what to do if JT suddenly becamed disillusioned with us. Perhaps that is a big part of it, who is to say that Stevie wont become "bored" with English football with us after two years and want the move to Spain "he has always dreamed of". I would be suprised if he ended up with us, I think to many sour grapes, that why I think he will end up with Real.

As for the psychology,
    I dont believe in psychololgy. Do you know what Ridalin does to kids? There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance. Electricshock therapy is cruel. I know everything about psychology (probably cant spell it, but I know everything about it) and you should take some vitamins and exercise. You are so glib, Matt!
    I definately need a beer now.

19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    yeah, he needs to spend a bit more time on the beach.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Great post, will try to rep you later.

21. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Must use SPF 98 on the beach with that skin tone!!!

jikes

22. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    lol yeahi really dun see RM ever going back to glory days, they are good, but inconsistently so. I doubt gerrad is disciplined enough to play the Dm role which gravesen is covering mediocrely. Im pretty sure he won't opt for madrid. I'd agree with you that he could suit a SeriesA club like Juve well. Or maybe there is just too much hype about him. he is great, but like madrid, inconsistent, and i think liverpool know better, its best for him to go, just where?? lol i hope chelsea give up thier bid lol

23. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just hope stevie knows what he's doing turning away his god like status for what seems to be ambivalent fans. oh well, he's made his move.

24. sstarch1

sstarch1 Member

Jan 25, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I dont see how it can be about money.
    They offered 100,000 per week! I think it has more to do with the coach, and the players surrounding him.
    While liverpool was his home and he grew up there, he feels like he is playing for some spanish club now. It could just be that he doesnt vibe well with the players there, thats all that it takes for someone to want to leave.
    He could just be a racist and hate spanish people, who knows.

25. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    very likely