Chelsea 03 and Man U 99 comparasons

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by qazwsx, Nov 13, 2003.

1. qazwsx

qazwsx New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Australia
    I was thinking the other day about how well Chelsea have done in their last few games and relised their side (or at least their midfield) is structured alot like Manures 99 side.

Man U 99:
    Giggs Keane Scholes Beckham

Chelsea 03:
    Duff Makelele Lampard Veron

Giggs and Duff:

Both left sided attacking dribbling wingers. Giggs in 99 was arguably better than Duff 03 however these days they are both similar quality.

Keane and Makelele:

The anchor defense linchpins of each times midfield. Again Keane was better in 99 but I think Makelele is better if your compare them now.

Scholes and Lampard:

Both hard working, "behind the front two", box to box midfielders who act as link men in their perspective sides. Scholes better in 99 but these days its a toss up whose better I beleive.

Beckhame and Veron:

Both playmakers and wonderful passers/vision and work well in space. Beckham is still was and still is better than Veron in my opinion, but Veron is a talented enigma and I beleive will go well at Chelsea.

So yeah, both teams midfields are structured remarkedly similar. Chelsea's current strikers are probably more talented than Manures 99 strikers and Chelsea's defence better than Manures. Full credit to Ranieri, the guys a genius for finding the right players and put them into the right structure and having them play so well together so soon.

2. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    good analysis.
    they had the great Dane and we have Carlo. tough call, probably the Dane.
    they had Nevilles in defence, we have an awesome back line in my view. We’re easily superior in the D.
    Up front they had – Teddy, Andy Cole, Playboy Yorke and the schoolboy.
    Well, quite frankly our present strikers simply over shadow them.
    over all, we're just simply a better side :)

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    In defence of United...

1. Carlo is great, don't get me wrong... but Schmeichel meant we didn't need a very good defence, he was the worlds best, and one of the all time great goalies.

2. Sheringham was our Zola - you know you wish you still had Zola. Ole is the supersub. See the CL final (along with Teddy). Let's not forget tht Yorke-Cole is one of the best partnerships in history (over a signle-season span). Granted, Chelsea have the better strikers on paper, but you need that 'magic' too.

4. qazwsx

qazwsx New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Australia
    Thanx, I just found it interesting because the styles of play between the two teams are similar and their lining up with similar formations. Time will tell if Chelsea end up with Man U old problems of not enough players in central midfield when playing this wide diamond midfield formation. Teams used to cause Man U trouble by ganging up on Roy Keane seeing as Beckham, Giggs and Scholes were all off on the wings or pushing forward. If teams attempt that with Chelsea, then Lampard and Veron will need to push back into central midfield on occasions (even if they take turns) to support Makelele. Chelsea are playing some great stuff at the moment.

5. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    With your in depth reviews.... how could you have missed Veron's deeper role in midfield? Lampard too has made tremendous defensive contributions.... and that also went unnoticed it would seem.

Ranieri has made adjustments and everyone has a role to play defensively for the team I reckon. Therefore it doesn't surprise me when Veron made X numbers of tackles and so does everyone else.