Cheesesteaks [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by Dills, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: OT :: Cheesesteaks

i was working on a project in DC for over a year, and at one of the last job meetings the owner's rep wanted to take my and the partner from my firm to get, what he referred to as, a cheesesteak.

long roll ... check
    steak ... i think so
    melted cheese ... yep

but that's where things get interesting ... i can see onions and peppers, but once the lettuce, tomatoes, and french fries :eek: came on, it was time to pass. after that scarring incident, i have to stick with the original.

2. mdelrossi1

mdelrossi1 Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Center City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I saw one in london for just a "cheese steak" it was basically the same thing except on a kaiser roll.

3. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ya beat me to it. That was my "other" vote on the poll. Located on Belmont Ave across the street from the FM talk radio station (96.7?). First went there in the mid 90's. Love it.

Based on quality of the steaks alone, I'd go to Slack's over Pat's or Geno's, any day. Well, except in the case of taking a noob to experience the South Philly atmoshere.

4. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was about to mention Rick's before I happened across your post...damn tasty.

5. Andrew Yost

Andrew Yost New Member

Nov 7, 2009

1lb. Cheesesteak at the corner of Kensington and Lehigh! ...& yeah, I Know that it is not the best neighborhood in the city! I believe that it being in a bad neighborhood puts, & has put, a bad taste into the mouth of those not used to bad neighborhoods, giving 1lb. Cheesesteak a reputation of quantity over quality, when they clearly make the best cheesesteak in the city and that I have ever had! And I have eaten steaks at all of the most famous places that are known to make them, i.e. Pat's, Geno's, Jim's Steaks, Chinks Steaks, etc.

Pats & Genos are clearly the two most overrated places in the city of Philadelphia to go to eat anything, let alone a steak; they are subpar!!

6. KnightofNi

KnightofNi Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

holy 2 yr old dead thread batman!

7. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008

Dear gods! This thread has been around longer than I have! Fun read, although I must admit I'm a Dalessandros man myself.

Prime... If you are still lost about how to have a decent steak, it's fairly easy, although I don't have a freakin clue what the Mormons use for a decent hoagie roll. Simply go to your local supermarket when they have good prime rib on sale. Buy a small roast, then take it back to the butcher and ask him or her to slice it as thin as humanly possible. Bring it home, and wiz wit it is!

8. sara_laughs

sara_laughs New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You planning on these at a tailgate Chefie?

9. USArsnl

USArsnl New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

QFT.

Also, Chubby's right across the street is very good.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Holy crap Jim, I was living in freaking Florida when I posted in this thread last. Keep up man.

11. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Last time I posted in this thread I was still optimistic about life.

12. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008

Jesus! When this thread was started, all I knew of the Sons of Ben was a picture in the Philadelphia Inquirer of Bryan, Davey and Andy. Hell, if it wasn't for this board, I would only know about the Union through the MLS page. I wouldn't know anything about men in skirts, or why I have a new respect for FrankenBerry cereal. If it weren't for the craziness that all you psychopaths have shown me, Captain America would only be a super hero, Duct Tape would only be something in my toolkit, and Zesty Italian would only be a salad dressing!

Glass houses, my friend...

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What?

14. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008

I don't really have a clue. i'm just doing my part to get the Union forum post count up above Colorado, which is the next domino to fall...

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL. Is this the place where I post a new Klingon proverb for the greater glory of Philly Union's post fetish?

16. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008

Actually, that's the 100,000 thread. I guess I was just a touch cross about not keeping up when I wasn't even on the board yet... :eek:

17. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Never been to Dalessandro's, but I do love Tony Luke's. Although I usually get the roast pork.

Escalation! Tony Luke's now has a five-pound cheesesteak. Only $43!

18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Steve's Steaks in the Great Northeast. I said it almost 3 years ago in this thread and I say it again. :)

19. MAS117

MAS117 Member

Apr 28, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pat's and Tony Lukes are the best!

20. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That, my friend is what we in the south call a po' boy...I think y'all call it a hoagie. I wak planning on hitting up Tony Luke's on my way out there next season, the broccoli rah and house baked rolls intrigued me, although I'm not a big fan of provolone on a cheese steak. Seems I'll be heading to D'Allesandro's instead.

21. KnightofNi

KnightofNi Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

as long as there are options i have no problem serving cheesesteaks. :D
    i cant' stand wiz. i'd rather have blue cheese before wiz.

and i'll take a shift on the grill for them, but don't expect the speed of any of the big names. you get the help you pay for. lol

22. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008

I would really prefer not to do them. Truth is, Cheesesteaks suck worse than BBFC in the MLS Cup Final when done improperly. There are only two ways to put 'em on a buffet. First is to put them on the line completed, and there will always be a knucklehead who doesn't want onions, or some douchebag who doesn't want cheese. I'm not Burger King; special orders DO upset me. Second is to put the cooked meat on the line. That sounds fine in theory, but we are dealing with testosterone induced soccer fans, and there's always gonna be somebody who tries to pile a pound and a half of meat on a single sandwich. Add in the fact that you only have residual heat to melt cheese, and it becomes, as a dear friend puts it, "a real shit show."

I think if we're gonna do 'em, we should make it a single tailgate special event, and do nothing but steaks. We can market it as such, and make it a one shot deal. We all learned a ton from the GCQF, and I'm preparing to make good use out of the knowledge gained. Tailgates for the Philadelphia Union are going to be the stuff of legend, and after a season or two of us teaching a new group, we won't even have to be involved.

23. KnightofNi

KnightofNi Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

(1)they actually do them catered here at work a lot. the meat is fine in a chafing dish and as long as it gets stirred up a bit it doesn't dry out. you just have to watch for juice build up at the bottom of the pan. it melts the cheese fine. and i will personally give anyone trying to take too much meat a smcak on the hand with a hot spatula. that's just inconsiderate as everyone paid. (we could also combat this by overestimating how much we will need, but i feel you are the choir and better at judging these things than i am)

(2) do you really think you will be able to stay out of the "kitchen?" i have a feeling you will always be involved, and i will always find myself doing something to help out. but that's ok. afterall, someone has to stand around and get in the way :D

24. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008

I was simply referring to the aspects of portion control. I've had "steaks" from a chafer, and while they aren't bad, I personally don't think they are in the same zip code as good enough to call a SoB Philly Cheeseteak.
    I think that sometime in 2011 or 2012, I will be gently and respectfully be nudged out of the way and told to F off. I will never be too far away to help, but I don't think I am running the show until I am forced to miss a homegame for Charley's High School (or College) graduation. Besides, when it comes to the tailgates, I'm not important at all, the event and the culture behind it is. I'm sure at some point I am going to get a Chef Coat in the style of a Union Kit, but that's probably a "thanks ever so much, now get the F out, kthanksbye" sort of gift. Once we have the recipie boxes and the catering formulas set up, and all the procedures in place, there will be plenty of folks who will want to help. If you think about it, some of these people probably don't know about the Union at this minute, let alone understand the tradition and standards they will be upholding when we step aside for the Union home opener at Chester in 2013 against the St Louis Revs.

25. USRoverDE

USRoverDE Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You sure it won't be the 2013 St. Louis Wiz (wit)