Cheering for foreign teams?!

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Kontra, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto
    Have you guys noticed you sometimes cheering or simpatizing for a foreign club that has players from your home country?

For instance, i always liked watching Barcelona matches when figo played there, but when he moved to Madrid i didnt enjoy watching Barça and did enjoy watching Real. Also, the result didnt mean jack for me unless the player i like did something good in the game.

Mourinho in chelsea, i like watching chelsea, and i follow the club since he moved there.

What about you guys, what foreignt clubs you cheer and why?

2. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I became a Blackburn fan because of Brad Friedel a few years ago, but I'd say that I've become enough of a diehard fan to stick with them ever after he moves on.

3. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I always support the team playing against a team from my country.

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Even if it was Sunderland.......?

:rolleyes:

Come on.....I mean I have my limits but....

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I support anyone playing a team/nation that I despise.

6. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    I supported Liverpool in their Champions League campaign. Mainly because of Jerzy Dudek. And the final, with their equalising from 0-3 to 3-3, Dudek's saves in extra times and his heroic penalty saves, was very emotional evening for many, many polish people. Dudek is only 3rd polish player to win European Cup/ Champions League ever and he was one of the heroes in the final, thats why I think, so many Polish people identified with Liverpool. But now it's going to change as they have new keeper, Jose Reina.

Now it is similar with Celtic, after they bought Boruc and Zurawski from Legia Warszawa and Wisla Krakow respectively.

7. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I follow foreign teams because the teams in my own country are crap. :)

8. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004

Likewise. I cheer for any team a Canadian is on, and I even enjoy seeing Hargreaves do well, although it is bittersweet. Also, when one of my favourite players moves, I usually look for the results of their team.

9. Gutan

Gutan New Member

Dec 28, 2004

You must cheer for Tromsø then, we got 3 canadian players in the squad. We gonna beat the danish in the UEFA cup thusday.

Back to topic. Personly do I not cher for forgeins team yust becouse they have Norwegians but I follow players thats comes from my own team as Morten G. Pedersen (Blackburn), Sigurd Rushfeldt (Austria Wien) Rune Lange (Club Brugge) and hope they and their clubs do well.

10. animatestate

animatestate New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Many Places
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I was like, "Foreign, what's foreign?" It's like second nature for me to watch EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and cheer for my favorite, so "foreign" doesn't exist in my vocabulary. For me, MLS is foreign and I am of US nationality. I respect and tune into MLS matches and I support the US growth, but I choose international over MLS.

11. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    So are in mine, but there's only one team for me - DINAMO ZAGREB

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    But i'm from england so if sunderland were in europe, pigs have show no signs of flying so its not going to happen, then i would be cheering for the team playing them.

13. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    i have the same thing as the topicstarter.
    When a foreign team has a belgian player, i tend to cheer for them.
    Like:
    Buffel - Rangers
    Sonck - Ajax
    Nilis,De Bilde - PSV
    Wilmots,Mpenza - Schalke

and next year, kompany - chelsea :)

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    kompany is a good player

15. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Get ready...
    [​IMG]
    Was in the paper so it must be true :rolleyes:.

16. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    same with me but instead of blackburn and friedel it was tottenham and keller.

im not swedish but i support sweden also and thier players. in 94, when i was a wee lad at 9 years old. i was very impressed by sweden in the wc. and tomas brolin was my fav player.

17. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004

3? The only one I know is Patrice Bernier.

18. Gutan

Gutan New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    We also got the quick forward Stephen Ademolu and goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld.