CHEER UP! Expansion Article - they want us

Discussion in 'Milwaukee' started by DjTannerr, Feb 29, 2008.

1. DjTannerr

DjTannerr Member

Dec 3, 1999
    New York/Milwaukee,WI
    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080229&content_id=141313&vkey=news_mls&fext=.js

I know some have given up, but in Jeff Bradley's recent article "First XI: 2020 Vision - Eleven cities for future expansion consideration" for MLSnet.com, we're listed as #11 to make the league 27 teams. Not sure why he listed 11 teams, but this is what he thinks MLS should do to benefit everyone.

"11. Milwaukee. A natural rival with Chicago as it's less than two hours away by car, Milwaukee is my kind of town. See, I said "town" and not "city" -- because, first of all, its sports fans do not take themselves too seriously and, second, it's got that cool-weather climate that's perfect for soccer. You'll see cool weather as a theme (not 100 percent) as you work your way down this list. Former Chicago GM Peter Wilt is a natural to lead this club, which would guarantee a grassroots fan base that would be second to none. Can you picture an entire supporters section in cheeseheads?"

Now, we know Peter Wilt has moved on, but hey...... it DOES say his 2020 vision. Maybe now is was not the time, but perhaps in the future we'll have better luck.

I was just trying to keep some hope alive, even if calling for an enduring hope.

2. daveamos

daveamos Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the article; I'm a sucker for "what if" kind of speculation like this. Off of his list, my top three would be Milwaukee (duh), Minneapolis-St. Paul (natural rivals, along with Chicago), and Portland (I just moved from there, wonderful soccer city).

Of course, it all comes down to money and a stadium. Maybe things will be different in 2020?

3. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    maybe after city officals see what mls can produce they will be a little more helpful.

4. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just not in their nature. They were all born evil soccer-hating buffoons.

5. WaikikiBallersSC

WaikikiBallersSC New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Waikiki
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. illwauk

illwauk Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Wow... Bradley sounds like he might be the biggest prick this side of Bill Simmons. "Notice I said town and not city" and "Can you imagine an entire supporters section in cheeseheads." Hey moron... this might surprise you seeing as how you probably mistook Laverne & Shirley for a documentary, but Milwaukee is not the same city that it was in 1955... oh what's the use? We're putting up a fonzie statue that only 50 people want so we'd better get used to another 30 years of this...

::smh::

7. cander38

cander38 New Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milwaukee is a great sports town, but im afraid it will be awhile before MLS puts a team there.

I'd say all of these cities will see an MLS team before Milwaukee: Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, Atlanta and St. Louis. Then there is also the Twin Cities and Indianapolis in the region that would provide strong competition to get a franchise before Milwaukee.

In the end it will come down to the ownership backing. If Milwaukee can put together a very strong ownership group/person then it will happen there sooner rather the later, but all things being equal, the above listed cities may all get teams before Milwaukee.

8. Lebronfeldt

Lebronfeldt New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    It would be strange to see MLS with over 20 teams. I wish Milwaukee gets a team, it might depend on the Bucks and their financial/owner situation.

9. MBurmy

MBurmy New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    We've got a US Senator as the Bucks' owner. If there's one thing he's not short on, it's cash.

If there's one thing he might be short on though, it's interest in the locals.

10. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, the bucks situation right now is probably not helping. Unless when the lease is up we can tear off the roof of the bradley center and turn it into a stadium for soccer. haha. I feel like there should be some sort of group that would have their goal be making a team here, but I suppose if peter wilt couldnt do it then what chance does an underground type group really have.... then again that is loser talk, so I suppose it could happen.