Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    gnk repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT repped this.
  4. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... his passing early was pretty fantastic.... and he really looks to have gotten used to the speed of the league. A bit more defensive in the 2nd half but did well IMO. But it drives me nuts that the coaches have him at the top of the 18 during set pieces. He should be a primary weapon in the box on corners.

adi21, WheezingUSASupport, russ and 8 others repped this.
  7. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Class performance

Boysinblue, Deeneaus, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  8. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Weston was great yesterday. The first half was one of his better if not his best club performance since he broke his foot with Juve last year. Even though he lasted the whole match it looked like he was gassed after ~ 75th minute. His involvement was down towards the end of the game mostly due to Forest by passing the midfield with more direct play but when he was involved he did look tired. Just wasn't as crisp as the first half. All together his performance was very good yesterday and I was very happy/ relieved to see it.

9. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports of his and Leeds' demise were premature. He's such a brawler, probably the best guy we have in a street fight kind of game, which is what most games in the EPL end up being. I love how demonstrative he is as well. His teammates are looking for him and taking direction from him; once again, this guy is central to his team and proving to be a top class player.

10. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phat Boy McKennie had a pretty good match, I thought. Pinging balls around. Tackling the mess out of the poor NF sods. He really drove that midfield.

When they went down early I thought it was gonna be the same ho hum. Nope. I know it’s NF, but here’s hoping the squad has turned a corner. I hate being so invested in this dang team.

Wasn’t that a hockey assist on that second Leeds goal that no one is mentioning btw?

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does seem to become the heart of a team.

wsmaugham repped this.
  12. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Yeah great game. Those long range passing definitely comes in handy from time in series A. I always think the double pivot where he plays along a true dm is his best position. Not AM. He's allow to roam freely in this role and it shows.

madvillain repped this.
  13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played well on both sides of the ball. He also proved he can slot in for Adams so long as his CM partner covers for him when he ventures forward. For much of the game Wes was in the 6 position with Roca covering for him at times when Wes advanced.

edcalvi, Winoman and madvillain repped this.
  14. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    he improved so much at Juve, specifically with his passing range. he's not quite the platonic ideal of a rangy, athletic and ball curling italian mid but he certainly got a lot closer at Juve.

usnroach, wixson7 and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also became much more disciplined with his defensive positioning. At Schalke he would expend lots of effort ranging all over the field but not always with any incremental benefit to the team. He learned to be more efficient with his defensive running at Juventus.

usnroach, Winoman and madvillain repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Wouldn't bet against Adams, Zimmerman might be helpful as well. Of course none of them is the GOOCH.

Pegasus repped this.
  17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #18017 butters59, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    Surprisingly he is just like Michael Bradley V 2.0.

usnroach repped this.
  18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a bit similar to Bradley’s loan actually. He was at a big Italian team and spent a short time at a relegation battling EPL team. Hope this goes better.

usnroach and Winoman repped this.
  19. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    bradley wishes he had 1/2 the skill weston does at progressive passing and dribbling. a pretty unserious comparison imo. if anything bradley's modern analogue is adams. but that does a disservice to adams as well imo.

adi21, chrome_vapors and mattjens repped this.
  20. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, good comp. Bradley had very good passing and vision. I'd argue Wes' running is more intelligent, or at least more tactically precise. Bradley would just run in circles -- all game -- some big, some small, but he never stopped running. Wes on the other hand is a lot more nuanced about when he'll run and where and at what pace. He usually seems to find himself in the right place at the right time. But Bradley was our best mid for a few years. A 2.0 version would suit the level the squad is at now.

usnroach and NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  21. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley's range of passing was excellent. He had good defensive bite and generally made good decisions. This is some revisionist history. Adams is a knife and Wes is a sledge hammer. Bradley was more hammer-y than knife-y because he was never quick enough to be a blade.

usnroach repped this.
  22. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    the dude that earned the well earned moniker backpass bradley was an accomplished progressive passer? I mean come on, there is a reason at his absolute peak he was a rotation guy for a mid table Italian side and then fell off to MLS level within a few years. bradley never came close to being a regular on a side as talented as Juve, or frankly, Leeds, given how elevated the EPL is thanks to the TV money these days relative to all the other leagues.

USA-Zebuel and mattjens repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can play several spots well as he has some differing strengths. He is good at quick turns and long passes but when up he shoots pretty good, heads well and is just good at junk goals like he scored at Grenada where he reached out his foot up by his waist and knocked in a goal. He crosses well from the right and combines well on the sideline. One thing I haven't seen in a while are his long throw ins. He does seem to lose concentration on short passes at times (looking for longer stuff?) and needs to be at peak physical shape to play his game.

usnroach repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might pick Dempsey. He looks like the kind of guy with a bunch of dirty tricks.

uniteo repped this.
  25. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. In his one full season at Roma he was a regular starter on a side that finished 6th in Serie A. Over the course of McKennie's time in Turin he was a fairly regular starter on a side that twice finished 4th in Serie A.

usnroach and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.