Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    I wouldn't be either. He specifically agreed to Leeds because Marsch was specific about what his role would be in the team and it appealed to him. No such guarantees now.

2. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    And how many of those Championship players were still starting or playing significant minutes for Marsch's team in the past 20 games?

Leeds got a bit deeper under Marsch, but, arguably, not more talented. (I'd give you 'more potential' given the younger players they signed like Gnonto.) And without getting into 'what ifs,' I think the goal differential between Bielsa's last 20 games and Marsch's is strikingly in Marsch's favor.

Personally, I'm disappointed because I really wanted to see the Marsch-Leeds go up against a Casemiro-less ManU. I thought Leeds had a chance to get 3-4 points out of the two games as they've played well against teams that play their game straight up and don't re-tailor their game just to stymie Leeds. And they've just been so unlucky with finishing!

As a Yanks Abroad fan, Leeds will be less enjoyable without Marsch in charge. And I feel like, after the January window, it would have been fair to give him at least until the Everton game to show improvement.

kumuyc, Eliezar and Dizi repped this.
  3. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    There is an old joke about a guy that died and he went up to heaven. He met Saint Peter and toured heaven for a day. He had a good time etc. He later met with Saint Peter and said I could be happy here. Saint Peter says to him you have to go down there for a day and then decide. He goes down to hell and golfs with friends goes to a big Bar-B-Que. Attends a big party. At the end of the day he goes back to heaven and Saint Peter tells him its time to decide. He says to Saint Peter that although he had a good time in heaven he had a better time in hell. So he returns to hell only to be confronted by fire and brimstone and suffering. He speaks to the devil and says this is not what he was shown the previous day. The devil tells him yesterday we were campaigning today you voted.
    Leeds was very shady and used Jesse to land Wes.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    So the bait must not have been donuts...

But yeah, that's a crappy welcome home present, but as a grown adult soccer player he can't really be surprised either. I mean, half the folks here knew that was a very real possibility if not probability. Wes and co had to know it too.

RossD and aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  5. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    I get Wes not being thrilled, but yeah, he had to know it was a possibility. Obviously, you don't want to go somewhere if you think you are going to clash with the coach, but especially in these top European leagues, you shouldn't be jumping somewhere if the manager is the majority of reason for doing so, because there is always a good possibility they aren't going to be around too long. I know some here are frustrated by Marsch being let go, and while I don't rate him, I could also see giving him some more time than he had. But what boggles my mind is Liverpool potentially letting Klopp go because of this season. Obviously they have to blow some things up regarding the roster, but this is a manager who got you a Champs league and finally delivered you the long awaited Premier League trophy, and if it weren't for the absurdity of Man City, would probably have one more for sure.

Dizi repped this.
  6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    That's crazy. Does Wes have access to the interwebz? Last year Bielsa was fired when Leeds was in this exact situation. Wes must have known and even assumed that Marsh was on the razor's edge.

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's entirely possible, but it could have also been a knee jerk reaction to Lampard's sacking and Everton and Wolves winning. Fear of relegation (losing money) is a great motivator.

Andoni Iraola, manager of Rayo Vallecano, is the current favorite to takeover Marsch's role.

8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Rumor from where?

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of brutal that Bamford and Sinisterra get rewarded after the Forest debacle... but perhaps w/ JM gone they will come good. We shall see.

11. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think Bamford was the first to get a sharp knife out and cut JM after he was gone.

12. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    29 But he says Wes knows its business and will his head down and work.

gjackson2207 repped this.
  13. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Further clarifying Wes was partially sold on Leeds by Jesse. Do you think he would be happy that he is gone? In the selling business this would be called bait and switch.

14. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    How can anyone blame management for firing Jesse? Their record was awful and if we, keyboard warriors could see this, then the professionals who do this for a living can. Now if Wes asked upper management for assurances Jesse would remain on then yeah, he has a legitimate point. But it doesn't seem like he was given any such assurances.

freisland and Scissorkick Collins repped this.
  15. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    If Wes wasn't in shape when he arrived, it won't take him long. What a crazy game. Quite a contrast from the relatively placid Juventus games.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would also caution that public pronouncements are not always heartfelt sentiment. It is possible Wes was super-excited to play for Jesse. It is also possible Wes was really super-excited to play with Tyler and Brenden but is smart enough to know Jesse was likely 1 lower-table loss away from being fired, and nice/smart enough to know he should seem sad without seeming disgruntled.

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is anyone on leeds now as good as raphina???!

HScoach13, adi21 and Dizi repped this.
  18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the soccer "culture" in England is dreck.....I hate that that country is seen as the pinnacle of the sport, basically, in the American soccer landscape.....

it does a lot of damage to the sport in the USA, imo

England are perpetual losers in football....and I think their collective mentality is a big reason why......but somehow Americans (players, owners, fans) put their overpaying clubs on a pedestal...and now almost all of the best American players are there ...getting ground up in that meat grinder....for "prestige" and, obviously, high wages.

Dizi and Roblar repped this.
  19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure. You always here about the speed of the game being so fast in the EPL... When he played at Juve he was often in a ton of space when he got the ball. He wasn't really trusted in one of the CDM "most pressed" positions and even the 6s for Juve have more space. Tyler on the other hand, was playing in a very similar system at RBL so the transition has been easier. Tyler also had the entire offseason to get to know his teammates. In short, Wes should be given a break for not hitting the ground running... Also, I think he might do a bit better as one of the forward midfielders. Last, but certainly not least... Leeds needs to put him in the box on set pieces or you lose a lot of the value he brings as a goal threat.

20. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Gotta say, I am not digging the 'fat shaming' from all corners for Wes on leeds twitter and youtube (and sadly here on Bigsoccer). Yes, I saw the video/pictures from his physical, and he did not look ridiculously overweight. Maybe the fans were expecting the Ronaldo body, I don't know.

Yes, most soccer players are thin and have a good cut, but body types vary. He has always had a sturdy frame, and imo has lost some of that baby fat since he left Schalke.

Tell me if I am wrong, but looks to me like he ran hard for 80 min today. At the end of the day, if the player can run and endure and put in a shift like that, I'll appreciate it - no matter the appearance.

21. bittercask

bittercask Member

Dec 25, 2020
    Always ironic to see keyboard warriors spouting that nonsense about a guy who typically goes for 90'' at a good pace.
    Curious, does Luke Shaw receive the same treatment?

adi21, ChicagoVT, mattjens and 5 others repped this.
  22. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Luke Shaw definitely did at one point in his career and I'm sure certain people can't get past it. I don't get it because Wes runs all day, so I don't see an issue.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Clubs are not country. The quality of EPL club football is clear. I don't really understand this point.

Of course the players are following the money. 2 years ago most of the "best" US players were in Germany, Italy and Spain... I don't really know what difference it makes. You have to play against the best at some point - and the best are in some combo of the top clubs in the best 4-6 leagues - which includes England.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t blame them for firing Jesse. Plenty of reasons to do it.

I do highly question the timing though. Shoulda gotten a run with his winter signings.

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    english clubs are run and controlled by english people. the english national team is run and controlled by english people. english fans got jesse marsch fired....their chants was what did it fyi....its the culture there that I dislike....and its impact on what happens.

"the quality of the EPL" isn't my issue.

English clubs do not treat players well. they dont treat american players well. look at how toxic chelsea fans are to pulisic, for example.

plus, look at how physical the championship is. i dont think theres another leauge in the world that is close to that level of physicality. its the culture of the sport....long ball hoof...go 100mph every second.

US players would be fine not going to england...the other countries have plenty to offer.

eric_appleby repped this.