Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    You’re absolutely right, the father of a player tweeting that his son is too big for a club that is currently negotiating the possibility of paying him 25-30 million will have no potential affect on his media coverage, the expectations from said media and die-hard fans, nor the fellow players in his locker room that may catch wind of it. Nothing to see here! I’m sure it will totally endear him and his dad to everyone at the club and get things started on the right foot.

theboogeyman repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So what happened to the interest from Arsenal? Was it just passing interest?

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Was Raphina too good for Leeds? If he is, that's a good thing. He should be one of the best players on the field every game, help Leeds stay up, show that it's not a fluke next year while helping Leeds to solid mid-table, and then move to a bigger club.

Dizi and uniteo repped this.
  4. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

majspike, Dizi, KenC and 9 others repped this.
  5. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Wes. He gets to play in the top league for a club that’s investing.
    Honestly these criticisms of Wes are boring. So many unproven players get sold for huge numbers. People drool over Musah but it’s Wes and Tyler who were the class against England’s midfield. It’s Wes who German and Italian managers have continued to trust in some of the biggest matches in Europe, and shown he belongs.
    Football fans can be so strange - do you just constantly want the shiny “high potential” players? Do we just think all these people who have rated Wes are stupid?

ChicagoVT, Dizi, uniteo and 3 others repped this.
  6. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if any of these players are great comparisons to McKennie. In the first place, Aouar has never played anywhere other than Lyon, he's been there since he was a kid. Gueye and Torreira had much more impressive profiles and each were coming off multiple considerably better seasons than McKennie when they made their big money moves. I suppose Allan in some ways is the closest comparison of the names you mentioned. But even then he'd had more impressive seasons in Italy than McKennie before his move to Everton (a move which ended up being, if not a flop, certainly a disappointment from Everton's perspective).

As for McKennie, he's a hard working fairly versatile midfielder who can score the occasional goal but as far as I'm concerned no part of his game is elite and at ~$30M I'd like a player to do something at an elite (or close to elite) level. I wouldn't pay much more than ~$20M for him.

For comparison purposes, Fulham are reportedly close to signing Torino's Sasa Lukic, who grades out roughly comparably to Weston, for ~$10-$12M. He is a bit older and has a year less left on his contract so you'd expect Weston to cost more, but 3 times as much???

Dizi and Deeneaus repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    no one cares about dad unless he’s your agent. And dollars for donuts dad will still take the keys to the cayenne Wes gets him for his birthday.

Dizi and MayaDempsey repped this.
  8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    With this McKennie's stay in Serie A has drawn to an end. The similarities to Michael Bradley's stay in the league are striking.

They have a nearly identical number of appearances, 70 for McKennie and 76 for Bradley, in two and a half seasons. McKennie won the Coppa Italia, Bradley made the final. Both were hit by ill-timed injuries as well.

Plenty of differences also. McKennie scored more goals due to being better on set pieces, while also playing further forward positionally than Bradley. McKennie jumped in immediately with Juventus, while Bradley had to start at Chievo and then move upwards to Roma. And McKennie got the opportunity to play in Champions League, though each season has ended in disappointment.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purchase "option"?!?! That should be an obligation if X amount of minutes, relegation avoidance, or something to that effect. Otherwise I don't get the point. They should have sold him outright for a little less to Arsenal or whoever (that's what I wish would have happened).

If this is a straight loan w/ a buy option, this is at least a triple from Leeds' perspective, because they get a quality player w/ no risk attached. Even if it's someone who they maybe didn't need as much as a LB, CF, CB, etc.

I don't really like this from Wes' standpoint. He had opportunities to compete for titles and European inter-league play, while playing a significant role in those things. I suppose since it's a loan, he's not going down with them. They wouldn't buy for 30+ and keep him in the Championship.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    What an interesting career. He was going to go to college but signed for Schalke, a big club with a lot of history and became arguably one of their stars in his last season there despite their fall from grace and then goes to Juventus unexpectedly and was a starter (when not injured) and surprised a lot of folks. Now heading to the Premier League :thumbsup:

Deeneaus repped this.
  11. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, how has Sasa looked in the Champions League?

Dizi, wsmaugham and usfootball20 repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh right I remember he was a star at Chievo after having left the Bundesliga (just like Wes would do a decade later). It's a shame he didn't stick around Roma a bit longer.

13. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Here We Go.

I have been following Leeds SM, blogs and vlogs. The longtime fans are uneasy about the American invasion, but to varying degrees. The tweet last week mocking a clip of Jesse for making exactly the same tactical point Pep said a while earlier is illustrative of the more anti-American segment. But others appreciate the 49ers takeover and the need for more $. Almost all love Tyler but have skepticism about Jesse. They aren’t terribly realistic about comparing Marsch and Bielsa, or about what level of performance is realistic this year. They think of their extended absence from the PL as some sort of blip, as if Chelsea had gone down and was now back.

But look at the ages and performance of the new faces. Orta and Jesse have them on the right track. If they can shore up 5e back line even a little in the summer they will be strong. And I expect Wes is going to make a positive difference. If they stay up, they will not be worrying about relegation next year. They will eventually warm up to Jesse, I think.

Roblar and KenC repped this.
  15. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17290 Deeneaus, Jan 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    I’ll let you have it, as now we enter the subjective part of the discussion that will likely move us away from Wes in comparing players. You asked and I provided though. :) Just felt they each have similar profiles and I don’t think Wes is behind any of them at all. Fanboi over here though haha. Thanks for the discussion!

I’m super stoked for Wes! Very anxious to see how his game translates to the EPL. I think he’ll be a much better fit in the league and so glad he gets to challenge himself there over going back to the BL.

Curious to see how Marsch deploys him. Almost assuredly more advanced, yes? Whose spot will he be potentially taking?

16. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I for one am super excited to see Wes join Jesse's fitness camp - soccer team. This should be a lot of fun, and he can work off some of that pasta. Maybe US Soccer can save some money and do a joint appointment with Leeds?

Of course, Leeds probably should be spending that money on someone who can help their horrid defense, but hey, adding another high-energy monster in the midfield should make for good viewing.

Yeah, that's a fun comparison. Certainly our two best Serie A careers so far, by far, though I think you're short-changing Wes a little bit. Wes has been a regular starter on a Champion's League team that won some hardware. If Mike hadn't gotten hurt at Roma, who knows what would've happened - but unfortunately he did, and he was never the same.

This is not to knock Mike's time in Italy, because it was pretty great and unprecedented, but we've had very, very few players who've been starters on top Champion's League teams. Man were we spoiled the magical year of Dest, Wes, Puli (and Gio and Tyler to some extent I guess) all playing game in and game out for some of the best clubs in the world.

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will replace Aaronson

18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    If there’s only one Yanks game to watch each weekend it’s definitely Leeds now if it wasn’t before.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's basically gonna be a 4 month audition for the rest of the Prem.

Mt Stone@ repped this.
  20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may happen. Aaronson hasn't been as solid as before.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Aaronson was too expensive to drop. Remember he was most expensive transfer in LEEDS history. If he doesn't play his value drops off a cliff

22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Are you suggesting Leeds cannot afford to exercise the option?

Dizi repped this.
  23. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Jesse puts him on the right at RB or to Tyler's right and his job is to cover the entire right side of the pitch .. that could help their D and their O ... improving their GD is what will enable them to stay up.

Dervos repped this.
  24. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaronson needs to sit and Sinistera should start.

Wes will slot right in and I bet Ayling sits.

25. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Really smart deal on all sides. Jive gets to shed some salary and make a little money in a season where they’re not gonna qualify for Europe and won’t get relegated. Leeds gets mckennie now and aren’t stuck with him and his salary/transfer fee if they get relegated. Mckennie gets to show himself in the prem for half a season in the event Leeds dont stay up. And if they survive…Weston Adams and aaronson all on one team going into the copa America and the World Cup….good shit.