Checketts...Wow What A Disaster (v.2)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSL Fortaleza Menina, May 8, 2007.

1. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Note: it seems the mods shut down the original version of this thread because it was started by an unknown poster--despite some very real & very serious problems that were being discussed.

Whether you support Checketts' business practices or not, closing down the discussion is wrong. If you disagree with the thread's assertion, discuss & debate it on the merits. And if you're nauseated by the very topic--just don't read it. BigSoccer is for everyone--not just the 'regulars' or the cheerleaders.

(It's sad irony how the thread re: RSL's owner, stadium, & community relations was shut down the very day a wildly off-topic & needless ManU Smack thread was opened & allowed to blossom.)

Regardless, as a 'regular' poster, I invite you to discuss all things Checketts-related here...

[​IMG]
    Checketts: serial victim?...
    ...or just kinda slimey?

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll let this thread continue only if you stop making fun of mods. We are ppl too and we have feelings. ;)

Seriously though, while a thread discussing the owner is fine lets not let it de-evolve or get strayed OT trolls.

Have fun.

3. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you have to call me out for starting an OT thread? I've done nothing but defend you in the past on here so that you can voice your opinion...:confused:

4. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The previous thread was shut down because it was started by a troll for troll-like purposes.

If y'all want to discuss Checketts and his merits (or lack thereof), go for it. Just don't be trolls about it.

And the ManU thread was purely all in good fun, with good natured smack. Off topic threads are not against the rules. They shouldn't dominate the board, but this is a place for Real Salt Lake fans to congregate, and sometimes we have things other than the team to talk about.

BigSoccer is indeed for everyone...but that doesn't mean that anything goes. Trolling isn't tolerated, regardless of whatever veneer of legitimate conversation is attempted to be presented.

5. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Personally, I didn't mind your ManU Smack thread--although I'm afraid I side with the dissenters. Anyway, it was merely used as an example of the capriciousness of the whole thread closing business. (see also Noodle's dubious "explanation" above)

Back to topic at hand... Language in the Sandy City interlocal agreement seems to commit RSL to locating the Academy in "Salt Lake County". That would be acceptable to the Democratic legislators I know who voted for HB38. (That also would seem to rule out the supposed Xango facility site in Lehi).

The new theory is that that the Academy might never actually be built--or that it might be "headquartered" in SL County--but located in a practical sense in a more year-round warm weather location (Florida or Arizona).

Bottom line: there seems to be a huge amount of grey area & wiggle room surrounding the Academy--which is great cause for concern for the many Checketts-skeptics around town. But as James Oshust pointed out, some of the blame now lies at the feet of government officials who failed to pin Checketts down with enforcable contracts.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But as the articles in today's paper show, the agreement that RSL, the county and the cities all already agreed to only states that the Practice facility (does it even say Real Academy?) need to be in the COUNTY, not the City.

How can Anderson seriously want it changed, for his own benefit, at this point? Except for the fact that RSL is like chum in the water for Rocky "Jaws" Anderson.

7. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Prime, while I haven't seen the actual interlocal agreement, the reporting today does seem to suggest the Academy itself must be located in SL County--not just RSL's practice facility.

And I agree, Rocky has no leg to stand on now. He should just make sure the $7.5 million check ("no strings") materializes as promised.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what the actual agreement says? It seems ambiguity is the name of the game these last few weeks with RSL in the news.

9. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you heard any actual report about this, or is this just your theory? I just have not heard anything yet that would lead me to believe that this will happen yet.

10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Checketts is a wanker! Oops! My bad! Wrong thread!

11. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I think it makes sense financially. Having it actually located in a warm weather area means you don't have to build any expensive covered fields. You can then get more development time in the year and the potential to host events all year to make more money as well.

Maybe I misunderstand but isn't the Academy supposed to build players that can eventually play for the first team? If that is the case who cares where it is located as long as it fills its role.

12. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The reporting? OK fine if you want to make your mind up based on what you infer from the local papers you are free to do so, but I think we can universally say that maybe the reporting in the local press may not be something to base very many opinions on.

My read is that the whole prop 5 project may not even get off the ground within 5 years with the litigation that will be filed. Best to get out on their own private property on this one. Xango in Lehi seems like the best choice, but right now I would prefer to hold off judgment until after I see what the interlocal agreement.

13. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Excellent advice...

14. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. There's nothing capricious about it. Threads started by trolls for trolling purposes won't be tolerated. Threads started by contributing members for celebratory purposes are quite literally another thing entirely.

Checketts is a goof. I'm glad he brought a team here, but he makes me cringe sometimes.

Anyway.

15. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think the title is wrong RSLFM. I really could care less about Checketts' business practices. I think that what he can be criticized about is his tolerance for Ellinger. Period. The main problem (not only one) with this team was its coach.

Now, lets just wait and see.

In the same way Kreis is learning to be a coach, DC is learning how to run a soccer franchise. The fact that you have experience in the sports business (american sports business) is no guarantee you will have success in soccer. Soccer is a whole other beast that many GMs and owners around the league have yet to tame entirely.

16. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    The original poster made--among other things--the following claim...
    I tend to follow RSL news rather closely--but had never heard about this Grand America hotel bill dispute. A subsequent poster claimed everything written in the original post was already well known. If so, does anyone have a link/source for the Grand America story? Failing that, anyone have the inside scoop?

Thanks in advance.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing came up on Google. I never heard of this.

18. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Donk was just generalizing about everything. We've heard about the debts with SportsWest and other debts, and we've also heard about Huntsman's daughters. I don't think he went down a checklest for every single point of the original article.

19. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Wasn't me. I don't care who the Governor's daughter dates, I don't care about other businesses Checketts owns or has owned and I didn't post anything about that.

20. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but Donk did claim..
    Perhaps I'm in the minority, but if true, I would consider failure to pay Real Madrid's GA hotel bill a rather "shocking revalation".

Note to Beaveman: Thanks for the negative rep ("lots of junk"). Long live accountability, free speech & hard questions. Not.

21. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! He gave you negative rep too? Apparently my avatar is offensive....

22. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Court records are public, so if indeed there was a case filed, don't you think it would be publicized? I know you like to take something and run with it without and good evidence, but if there was in fact a case filed, it wouldn't be kept quiet.

23. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Normally I'd be happy to defer to your first-hand experience with Utah's justice system, but not all court records are immediately public--and I certainly don't have time to run a Lexis-Nexis search. That's why I thought I'd ask.

I took you at face value when you claimed to already know about all these claims. So to clarify...do you or don't you know about this claim?

24. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I never claimed I did. This is not a new revelation because it's simply not true. There is nothing Lexus Nexus wise about this. And while not all criminal cases are public, civil filing are.

25. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that somebody who comes on here, makes some bold statements (WITHOUT listing a source) and then leaves should not be considered high in the "credibility" category. So until and unless we see an actual source on his accusation, I'm going to take it as merely gossip. :)