Check out this week's ALIVE for Crew content

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big Strong Patrick, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny O on the front cover & interview, Crew cliff notes & fan pictures. If you are getting a copy with your picture in it (Chelsey) make sure it isn't a copy with off-center printing.

2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does it have in it?

3. kmmc

kmmc Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is video interview with Danny O'Rourke on the Columbus Alive website. You can find it by following the link under Multimedia->Alive & Unedited menu on the left-hand side of the page.

4. DeVille

DeVille Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Here's a feature intended to introduce fans who might have lost touch with the Crew or are new to the team. It's basically a newbie's guide to jumping on the bandwagon.

Here's the Q&A with O'Rourke. (You can get to the video with him from there too... it's mostly the same content.)

Here's a look at some of the supporters clubs.

Be sure to check out the print version too. I'm pretty happy with how the spread turned out.

In other exciting news, I got the green light for a weekly Crew page in the paper with the goal of covering the team from a feature-y bent. I'm hoping to do more with the supporters clubs, some Q&As with players, maybe some other stuff. So keep picking up Alive for the rest of the season.

5. kmmc

kmmc Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the links Chris. Looking forward to seeing you down at Keegans again.

6. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    Awesome, Chris. Thanks for fighting the good fight to get into the print edition on a weekly basis now.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever happened to The Other Paper's Crew coverage? They used to have a piece almost every week and, except for their annoying habit of referring to McBride as "Buns" it was often rather good.

8. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    lol @ that newbie guide saying that Hejduk 'blazes it up' on the field. I'm sure he does...

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't read the other paper every week, I haven't seen their "Crew Scoop" in years.

10. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    Chris Shott was a really funny guy....then he moved to Washington DC to work for National Geographic, I think. When he left, their Crew coverage pretty much went with him.

Chris used to send me his articles "as written" so I could compare them to what appeared in the paper. The editors liked to "punch up" the stories with things like Buns McBride and other soccer-mocking nonsense.

11. Big Strong Patrick

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm perplexed by the timing of this cover story because 364 days ago Eddie Gaven was on the cover of the Alive also.

12. DeVille

DeVille Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Last year it was a "Did you guys enjoy the World Cup? Now go see the Crew" story. This year it was a "Hey, fellow Alive staffers, we haven't done anything on the Crew yet this year, when do they have a game coming up soon?" story. It conveniently coincided with when the team started to get interesting. Just a coincidence that the two covers happened a year apart like that. I would imagine next year we'll do something for the first home game, which is what I meant to do this year.

13. Big Strong Patrick

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This week's Crew article was replaced by yet another Ohio State football recap, will this be for the rest of the season?

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a crime that his parents didn't name him "Coupe"

15. Goalden

Goalden New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Bottoms
    Hey Deville, seriously, why don't you try to get ahold of the HSG, maybe that guy that was at the first fan meeting, what was his name, McClaine or something,
    and ask them some direct hard hitting questions.
    Like, why aren't they spending money on the Crew?
    Why isn't the Crew a good investment for them? Have they denied Zigi the funds he needs or has he just failed to find good players?
    Why don't the economics work? Whats missing? How is killing the season ticket sales a good business move? Why is the team losing money and if the answer isn't putting a good team on the field and getting the market back, what is the answer?
    Is the team folding? Can the team keep operating on the cheap year after year?
    Everybody appreciates what they have done for soccer in America. There wouldn't be a league without them. But we are passionate Crew fans and we want answers. And that means no McCuller.
    Thanks.

16. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    No it's not!

Chris is out of town this week.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    His name is Sigi not Zigi. Not that hard to get it right.

18. DeVille

DeVille Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Yeah, I have been gone for a week. Missed the Colorado game and didn't feel comfortable writing anything in advance to run while I was gone. Crew Cuts will return this week, even though writing about this team is becoming extremely unpleasant.

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Welcome to covering the Columbus Crew!

20. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Something tells me this isn't quite the slogan the team desired for the cover of the 2008 media guide.