Cheap or free tickets. Why?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by riverplate, Oct 18, 2003.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Listen, if somebody right now handed me free tickets to tonight's game, I wouldn't tear them up. But...

What is this business of nobody seeming to think they should have to pay full price for tickets to MetroStars matches?

Let me start off by saying the full price of Metros tickets is quite reasonable. It's hardly going to put anyone in the poor house to shell out for them. (I know a jerk at work who last week spent $250. to go to a Knicks pre-season game!)

However, most of you are always saying we have to show our support for the club, the players, for MLS, blah blah blah. But then I'm constantly reading stuff on these boards about reduced season-ticket plans, some deal that's going on at McDonalds, people getting freebies for the U.S. Open match, and now this coupon that's popping up on my computer screen about getting $5 off tonight if I bring it to the ticket window. All of you seem to think this is great. But I ask: What gives?

How is this club or this league going to get out of the red ink if some of you good people don't begin to realize that cheap or free ducats cost much-needed revenue to the Metros and MLS.

Or maybe we'll have to wait until Amado and Jonny Walker start getting paid in food stamps before some of you understand this.

(Please don't respond and mention what you pay for parking, something yet again many of you think should be free. I spend $7 for the bus. Those are different issues.)

2. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    $5 dollar coupon?? where did u get that??

3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    It's popping up in a window on the MetroStars home page.

Come and get 'em.

See what I mean!!!

4. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As season ticket holders have already paid for their seats, freebies and discount offers are ways of driving fans to the stadium to check out the, uh, scene. Exposing new fans to the team is never a bad thing.

If you were on the fence about attending tonight, a $5 off coupon may convince you to go.

If you were already committed to attending tonight but had yet to buy tickets, consider the coupon as a "thank you" for supporting the team.

I understand your point about MLS profitability, but freebies and discount offers are used in all ticketed events, whether they're concerts, broadway shows, or sporting events.

5. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ

Thanks... but please dont comment when you dont know anything about my situation. I use these coupons and specials like the McValue ticket pakage to get more people to come out to games with me. Unfortunatly i dont have friends who follow the Metros like i do so i try to find ways of making it easier and cheaper for them to make it out to a game... got a problem with that?

6. Nica1004

Nica1004 Member

Sep 14, 2002
    the couch
    My situation is like red&black1's. The only way I can get my friends to come out to games with me is by using discounts. (And free meals after don't hurt getting them to come out.) Also, my parents really did not want to take me to tonight's game, but maybe with the coupon, I can get them to take me. Not everyone is greedy. Think about why the discounts are there: to get more people to come to the games.

Sometimes, you got to give a little to get more.

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    No, red. That's what I want to hear. People's stories of how and why they may feel reduced tickets are justified. And if it just were one or two promotions, fine. But it seems to be ubiquitous. Today's pop-up window put me over the edge.

For those of you wondering if I'm going to be sneaking over to the ticket booth to hand in my $5 coupon, let me tell you that I won't. I'm not going to tonight's match so as to punish the club for their performance on Wednesday night. They let us all down. Even me.

Call it "tough love." It's like sending a naughty child to their room and "grounding" them. I want them to shape up.

I'll be there for the playoff match. Paying in full, believe me.

8. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    i dont see any coupons! I log on to MetroStars.com and i get no pop-ups!!

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I just went over to the home page and it popped right up. Is anyone else having a problem?

10. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Damn it!! its not working for me. I hate pop-ups with a passion, but the only time i wanna see one nothing happens....

It is imperative that i get some coupons.... i dont want to show up alone tongiht.

11. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
  12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see this as something to complain about. It's our last regular season home game, and as a gesture of thanks it sure as hell means more than a giveaway sampler of Libby's Kerns or even the players toting out a banner thanking the fans (though that's kind of nice, too).

13. Sasha Metro

Sasha Metro Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Sección ciento uno
    $5 coupons? We don't need no stinking $5 coupons.

I have 5 extra tickets for section 101 (courtesy of the mostly useless "never a wasted ticket" program) that I'll unload in 16A before the game for $5 each to any ESC member who wants them (PM me and/or look for the tall guy with a black WFMU baseball hat). I'd hoped to get friends to come out to use them, but after dragging seven people out to the swamp on Wednesday for a disappointing result, it's hard to get them to make a second trip three days later.

14. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    But you're going to miss Forchetti's farewell game.

15. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Jesus Christ!!! You're probably right!

It would be just like Bob to play he and Galvan tonight when I'm not there. Considering he thinks of them as scrubs and probably wants to save the world-beaters for the playoffs.

Damn!!

16. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Riverplate, $18 for a full price ticket is reasonable. The problem is that people don't come alone. If you have a family, you're talking about an $85-$100 outing for one night, so the $5 coupon for a family of 3 is a savings of $15.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but $15 for most families is a lot of money. Also, check out the newspapers.....there's a slew of people out there looking for jobs. The one's that do have them aren't guaranteed that they'll have one the next day, so looking for a discount on a ticket is nothing to be embarassed about.