Chattanooga FC

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by El Conductor, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Also, everything is awful and there is no more joy.

2. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wtf?

3. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Crikey there's so much drama here:

That thread is nuts.

4. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
  7. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018

8. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Also relevant:

9. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    And

10. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    FOUR QUESTIONS:

1) Is there a chance that Chattanooga FC will not be granted a lease at Finley Stadium for next season?

2) Is is possible that both USL and NPSL clubs could be playing at Finley next season?

3) Is it against USL policy to play in the same venue as a team from a "competing league?"

4) Would USL Chattanooga resort to signing a more lucrative deal leasing Finley than Chattanooga FC can offer, and then try to lure them into moving from NPSL to PDL?

11. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    So a lot of this is still in play, but...
    Obviously it's possible, but it's hard to justify this on Finley's end. The biggest problem for CFC at this point is knowing their schedule. I could also be misreading the room, but I didn't feel like this season went as swimmingly.

Rumor has it that CFC has a fallback option with the Chattanooga Christian School (who are about a mile and a half down the road from Finley and where the team trains) who are evidently cool about "adult concessions". That's really the kicker here.
    There is a finite number of viable stadia in the Chattanooga area(1), so, given the short notice, a stadium sharing arrangement may need to be in place at first, regardless of USL policy(2).
    This has only been confirmed for D2, but the general consensus is "yes, probably". As mentioned in Nipun Chopra's tweet, above, the Finley board has does not meet to discuss business until the end of August and, as a Finley board member, he said that no requests have been made by the USL team, that he has been made aware of (as I understand it, he is recused of decision making when it comes to lease agreements, but he would still be aware of them).
    The latter bit of this is a non-starter. None of the remaining CFC board want anything to do with the USL whatsoever and their plan is absolutely some sort of semipro full-season league. The former, obviously, is possible, although the economics of that look really hard to make work. The expenses for this club are going to be considerably higher than CFC worked with, so either corporate sponsorship or ticket prices (or, likely, both) will need to be raised quite a bit. Given the complaints of ticket prices this year ($10/ticket), it's going to be tough to raise them much, continue to draw the crowds they think they're going to be poaching from CFC and stay afloat on rent artificially jacked up solely to screw the other guy over.

1. There are some more options here if either party is willing to invest in a modular stadium concept. One could pretty easily go inside Engel Stadium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engel_Stadium), which would have some of the amenities you need (lights, parking, ticket booths, etc.), but the stands are in too much disrepair to use. There are a few other sites for such an arrangement, as well. The Lookouts' stadium is too small for a soccer pitch, so that's out, however they will likely be getting a new one soon.

2. Again, not much is known of D3 stadium policies, but along with the rival tenancy thing, USL very much expects their teams to be the primary tenant, which will always be UTC football. Although Tim Kelly is absolutely certain they will make a play for Finley, it remains to be seen if A) they do B) they do temporarily until they can secure their own space.

USRufnex and msilverstein47 repped this.
  12. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    The Chattahooligans have written up a FAQ to help discuss the concerns we have with the USL moving in and how to explain the situation to people: http://chattahooligan.com/usl-faq/

Bklyn Royals Fan repped this.
  13. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
  14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  15. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Yeah... This was, of course, assumed, now confirmed.

Some shade thrown in his direction:

16. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Oops. This one was the pertinent one in that thread:

17. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    CFC met with Finley Stadium's leadership:

Important takeaways:
    "Finley’s Chairman and Executive Director are confident they have capacity to host and fairly schedule two soccer teams."
    "They will not engage in exclusive contracts with either team."

Now if someone could parse the tea leaves from

18. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #143 USRufnex, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    My overall take is that CFC sees the value of moving onward from NPSL summer league soccer to an extended season at Finley. Whether that's a USASA certified NPSL Pro or USSF certified NISA is anyone's guess. My guess is the former is more likely than the latter, but either way, I see CFC competing in the fall of 2019. Which is a good thing, because the worst thing for CFC IMHO is to have extended parts of the season in which USL D3 is the only game in town.

Of course, I'd love for my club to be part of the mix, but alas, the USL coverband Roughnecks still have another year or two of utter futility left in them to continue to try to destroy the legacy of the original Roughnecks...

While we have been forced to start from scratch on a suitable venue...

19. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
  20. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Hopefully, if you can survive in a smallish NPSL Pro for the first couple of seasons, some others will catch up and join up...... you don't want to see FC Wichita join USL D3 or some rich guy completely rebrand what's cooking in Little Rock...

21. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I'm not too worried about CFC since they've been planning for this for a couple of years now, but I do worry a bit about the size of the footprint of the league and what that might mean on stability of its clubs.

22. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    MidfieldPress says that New Orleans and Virginia Beach are going to skip the fall 'Founders Cup' and will join the first full season of the league the following spring. There's also Jacksonville and I would think any possible other teams holding off until 2020 makes sense; it gives them a better chance to prepare.

23. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Also to get an idea of the competition level and running costs.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine needing 18 months to figure that out.