Chat with Mia and Abby on Aug. 5

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by KellyG_Fan, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Bombatta2

Bombatta2 New Member

Mia retiring.......

Mia said next year is her last year (including the Olympics.....)

What is going to happen to WUSA when she and others of her `generation', including some famous foreigners like Sissi, quit?

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    There is a chance that the league probably won't be around in several years.

3. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Anyone else here have a question asked? They asked Abby one of mine. I tried to ask another, but it wouldn't submit it, dammit. Kept getting an error message, no matter what I tried. grrrrrr...

I'm glad there really weren't any "stupid" questions asked, although they did moderate it, so... I'm disappointed they didn't ask Mia any of my questions though. :(

The time went by so quickly it was over before I knew it!

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    My questions didn't get asked. One question I submitted had to do with the criticism folks have been spewing about how the USWNT has played softies such as Ireland and England in the past couple of months and how Mia would counter that criticism. The second question I asked had to do with a panel discussion that cachundo linked in the WUSA forum....I stated that more and more women are participating in sports but somehow it didn't lead to increased attendance...so I asked what they thought could be done to attract those females.

5. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Re: Mia retiring.......

I'm not ashamed to say that made almost cry.

I though she would do the Olympics then another year of WUSA. But we shouldn't be so selfish. I think she really wants to get on with her life, get married and have kids. She's been playing for what? 16 years?

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Mia retiring.......

Go read Lilly's latest diary. I think this is the point Lilly is at now. I meant to have a take on her latest diary btw...

7. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Re: Re: Re: Mia retiring.......

I think a lot of them are. I mean all that traveling. Especially for the ones with seemingly neverending commitments. I'm just gratefull that at this point Mia is playing so well. That to me is a gift. Be damn sure wherever her last game is.. i'll be there!

8. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Re: Mia retiring.......

That's the key. We go from Overbeck, Fawcett, Hamm, Lilly, Milbrett, Foudy, Akers to ... Reddick, Wambach, Tarpley, Welsh, Wagner, and Mullinix.

It's a BIIIIIIIG transition for women's footy. And we better get used to it.