Charlton @ Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Charlton Athletic' started by hartley, Dec 2, 2004.

1. hartley

hartley Member

This could be a tough one.

But we should be motivated by the way they handled us in the Carling Cup match at the Valley. Time for a bit of pay back, wouldn't you say.

Here's the lineup I would put out if I were manager:

Andersen

Young El K HH Konchesky

Rommedahl Holland Euell Thomas

JJ Jeffers

Subs: Kiely, Fortune, Kishishev, Bartlett, Murphy

2. doug001001

doug001001 Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Fish fit yet? If so, I'd give him a run and put hh out wide where he seems to be playing well

3. hartley

hartley Member

doug,

I have to disagree. I don't think Fish is ever fit enough to start in the EPL.

The only reasons I put HH in the middle is for his height and the fact that Fortune hasn't looked all that good.

I would prefer to put HH out wide also, but we seem to have our hands tied until Perry comes back or we get another center back when the window opens.

With a win on Sunday, we could climb as high as 9th in the table. I am figuring that both Man City and Newcastle will lose to Boro and Chelsea respectively. But that Man City game ought to be a good Monday night match to watch.

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be a good match, but one that Charlton needs to win. To have even the slimmist chance of playing in Europe they need to beat the teams they are supposed to, and steal a few points from those they should not. Crystal Palace is a team they should beat.

5. doug001001

doug001001 Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just saying give him a run if he's ready, just to see if there might be something there. not that I think he's a top line epl defender. you never know, he might come back from the injury with renewed confidence, etc etc..

6. hartley

hartley Member

I guess we all hate it when they play a Sunday match. Sunday is usually full of other things.

Charlton Athletic 1 - 0 Crystal Palace

Rommadahl scores in the 93rd minute. Dennis came on for the injured JJ in the 19th minute. JJ apparently strained a hamsting. This may be Rommedahl's big break. With us still playing a 4-3-3 [I'm assuming from the lineup], Dennis could finally play a more natural wing role.

Apparently some good chances from both sides with Kiely even saving a PK and Young having to head one off the line. Also some contorversy with Bartlett being taken down in the box, the side judge waving his flag, but the center ref calling nothing.

Just checked FSW's schedule for the upcoming week. At this time, this match is to be shown Wednesday during prime time and in the very early morning hours of Thursday morning.

7. richard120572

richard120572 New Member

May 19, 2004
    Just for your info the incident were Bartlett was pulled down was way outside the penalty area.
    Rommedahl up to the goal was pretty terrible, but the result is everything - Palace will be very angry they didn't geta point. on the plus side I thought Murphy played really well - showed some long awaited passion- the defence looked slightly shaky - and whenever Kiely came of his line he stuffed up - having said that it was a great save.
    With 3 easy(ish) games coming up things are looking slightly more rosy -

8. hartley

hartley Member

Thanks for the info. I have not seen it as yet. Looking forward to watching the replay.

So, if Murphy had a good game this time, shouldn't we sit him for the next game? He has one on, then on off. Maybe Euell should start in the middle. And maybe Jeffers up top.