Charlotte MLS 2021: Team name, crest, colors discussion

Discussion in 'Charlotte FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte’s in! David Tepper has brought MLS to the Carolinas and it won’t be long before Charlotte takes the field.

so, what about team name?

what about the crest?

what about the colors?

On the team name, it’s been rumored that 8 names have been mentioned as possibilities.

These include:
    Charlotte FC
    Charlotte Town FC
    Charlotte Crown FC
    Charlotte Fortune FC
    Charlotte Athletic FC
    Charlotte Monarchs FC
    Charlotte Gliders FC
    All Carolina FC

More so, there’s the possibility to be determined that Charlotte MLS partners and adopts the Charlotte Independence.

On names, there’s the question should the team name be Charlotte or Carolina? Personally, I would argue more for Carolina to be more inclusive. But, I understand Charlotte wanting you make its imprint on the league.

Also, I would throw out that have some connection to the area:
    Flyers
    Flight
    Airborne
    Alliance
    Crescent
    Collective
    Legion
    Wildcats
    Wolves
    Cavaliers
    Racers
    Piedmont
    Appalachians
    Highlanders
    Resolvers
    Miners
    Rush
    Cardinals
    Colonials
    Continentals
    Lords
    Proprietors
    Metrolina
    Gold
    Freedom
    Liberty
    Castle
    Mecklenburgers
    Queen of the South
    Queen of the Carolinas

On Colors; the main thing will be that Panther Blue will at least be one of the other colors. Possibly, mint and gold might be colors too.

2. NCSoccerCoach

NCSoccerCoach New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the Charlotte Independence name over all other suggestions but also could get behind Charlotte FC and Charlotte Town FC. would be great if a deal could be struck with the Independence for naming rights.
    As for colors, I agree we have to likely stick with something similar to the stadium seats. The black and blue with a white base would look good. If we ignored the stadium seat color, i like the mint and gold idea.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Mint Green and Panthers Blue?

In no order:
    Charlotte FC
    Charlotte Independence
    Charlotte Athletic
    Charlotte Town FC

The names Independence, Athletic, and Town would all be new to MLS unlike United, Inter, City, and FC

4. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the Independence name and their crest. I think Town is a copycat English name but the fact that Charlotte use to be called Charlotte Town and still has many aspects of that name throughout the city makes it more fitting.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the name Independence too... It celebrates Charlotte’s history, it’s unique, it sounds soccer-ish, it’s strong, it sends a message, the colors align with Charlotte’s theme, the crest is A+, and also I like the fact it separates from Atlanta United in regards to Euro vs American. In a sense, it draws a bit of a cultural line to say, what do you prefer? More copycat style names like FC, United, etc. OR do you prefer your “Independence” and stand alone.

In this regard, Atlanta and Charlotte will be competing for fans across the South not just in their respective cities. As a Greenvillian (SC), I could see this being a fun debate between the two clubs, and how each have their own identities and cultures.

More so, I have already seen plenty of Independence car stickers and Atlanta United car stickers, what’s the point in reinventing the wheel?

I’m really hoping David Tepper meets with McPhilliamy and negotiates an agreement where he adopts the team name, crest, colors, and in return, he supports USL Independence, as seen across the league. It makes sense from a business perspective, IMO.

Simply, I am hoping that the only way that Charlotte Independence does NOT become the team name is if McPhilliamy and Tepper have a falling out. Which, if that’s the case, Tepper is going to have to start his own USL team to stay competitive with the league, and the Independence will be driven out of town.

6. NCSoccerCoach

NCSoccerCoach New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I received a survey today from the team asking for feedback on the team name. I am assuming i received it due to making a deposit for tickets. I like their approach, but it appears they have an interest the All Carolina FC name as there were a lot of questions related to that name specifically.

7. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gross, that name sucks.

Red Card and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    As a Duke fan, gotta say not just a no but HELL no.

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the chances the club goes with the Charlotte Independence? It has to be one of the coolest names and crests in the league. It’d be unfortunate to see this team die out.

11. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slim and none!

12. AA23

AA23 New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Hey, i haven't been on these forums since forever. I'm British but started dating and eventually married a girl from Asheville. Charlotte getting a MLS team and Asheville now having a team in USL2 this has all become a dream realised since 2001

With that said, I thought long and hard about a name and from my Anglo point of view is that it would be a missed opportunity in branding if the name doesn't reflect the Royal history in some way.

I came up with this but i hated it to begin with but after i while i started to like it

Regal Carolina FC or Regal Charlotte FC

What do you guys think? iI's definitely unique but if you think about it, traditional at the same time. Plus the Royal theme would be more authentic that Real Salt Lake

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d like it if it came after the city/state.

Carolina Regal FC
    Charlotte Regal FC

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, hope that Greenville Triumph schedules some games against Asheville. Seems like a waste to not develop that potential rivalry.

15. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Free movie tickets after every home win . . .

EPJr and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. AA23

AA23 New Member

Feb 1, 2004

Either way I'll be happy - in the end I would put Regal in front of the city/state as a homage to the Real monikor.

That said, I wouldnt like it if they called the team Real Carolina

Sounds too forced but weirdly Regal Carolina FC does it for me as it's very unique and can ride on the "Real" branding e.g crowns on top of the badge etc

Do we know if they are close to announcing a name yet?

17. AA23

AA23 New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Btw. I would love it if they have Ingles as the shirt sponsor :laugh:

18. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Royal more than Regal. Charlotte/Carolina Royal or Royal Carolina/Royal Charlotte

19. AA23

AA23 New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Btw. I would love it if they have Ingles as the shirt sponsor :laugh:

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I didn’t mention already, I’m rooting for Carolina Crown FC.

When are we going to hear more about the name and everything else?

21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dig the mint color. It will be unique for the league. If it's relevant to the city as I hear it is, even better.

I dont think the stadium seat color has to matter that much. Ideally you'll be selling out all the seats that are made available, and any other unused sections will be covered/hidden somehow (canopy, tarps, etc) And it's not like the stadium has red or yellow seats or something where some empty spots would stick out like a sore thumb.

A thought I had as an outsider, that I didnt see mentioned....

Charlotte Town FC sounds like a legit name to me. Probably my favorite I've seen suggested. Not trying too hard, a little bit of Euro flavor, but unique name on this side of the pond. My only negative thought is it sounds like it would be the name of like a lower division team in England. Not an elite premier level team. And regardless of the fact that a team like that could hypothetically be promoted to the top division in any other country, that's not the case here. I cant see any MLS caliber team desiring to exude anything but an elite image. Even if "Town" has some local relevance, it wont to the rest of the leagues fan or to Don Garber. I could also be reading way too far into it as well.
    I dont mind Charlotte Crown as well. It sounds simple but dignified. "All Carolina" sounds like it should be the name of a regional league, not team.

Just my thoughts. I think Charlotte will be a major success. Good luck!

23. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like CLT will have black and white as colors; if so they will be in great company!

Black and White Striped Clubs
    Magpies, Zebras, Bianconeri, Os Alvinegros, The Black Eagles, Die Schwarz-Weißen, whatever the nickname, there are quite a few clubs that sport the vertical black and white stripes on their shirts. Newcastle United and Juventus are perhaps the most famous clubs with the look, but there are plenty of top division clubs all around the world with the "zebra" tops.

OMR El Annasser (Algeria)[​IMG]
    ES Sétif (Algeria)
    LASK Linz (Austria)
    SK Sturm Graz (Austria)
    Charleroi (Belgium)
    Atlético Mineiro (Brazil)
    Botafogo (Brazil)
    Figueirense (Brazil)
    Lokomotiv Plovdiv (Bulgaria)
    Tonnerre Yaounde (Cameroon)
    Brujas FC (Costa Rica)
    Notts County (England)
    Borussia Mönchengladbach (Germany)
    PAOK Saloniki (Greece)
    KR Reykjavík (Iceland)[​IMG]
    Juventus (Italy)
    Siena (Italy)
    Udinese (Italy)
    Heracles Almelo (Netherlands)
    Club Libertad (Paraguay)
    C.D. Nacional (Portugal)
    St. Mirren (Scotland)
    FK Partizan (Serbia)
    Artmedia (Slovakia)
    Beşiktaş (Turkey)[​IMG]
    Al-Jazira Club (UAE)
    Miramar Misiones (Uruguay)
    Montevideo Wanderers (Uruguay)
    Zamora FC (Venezuela)
    Cefn Druids (Wales)

http://www.thebesteleven.com/2008/06/black-and-white-striped-clubs.html

24. AA23

AA23 New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    I think the better move would be blue and black stripes. Or blue in line with the Panthers perhaps.

The rationale for me is that the teams biggest rival would be ATL. They play in black and red stripes and if Charlotte does something similar it could be a nod to the AC Milan and Inter Milan rivalry.