Charlotte Independence 2015 (R)

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by UxSxAxfooty, Feb 1, 2015.

1. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Yeah and it's not pretty either. Would you believe Hairston was called for a foul on this?!

[​IMG]

2. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Yep! It's typically the home side that is responsible for the YouTube broadcast and highlight reels. As you can tell each club has a varying degree of professionalism in their broadcast quality. I listed starting most recent games and going back.

v Louisville City FC

v Harrisburg City

v Richmond Kickers

v Wilmington Hammerheads

v Charleston Battery

3. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the highlights, looks like Hairston is doing a good job getting forward. He was involved in a number of attacking moves in the Harrisburg City highlights; almost looks like an outside midfielder. It's hard to tell, though, but kinda looked like he got beat on the goal.

4. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    I know a lot of the fans here are really impressed with Hairston. We're glad to have him and hope he has a quick recovery. Eloundou on the other hand was not endearing himself when playing out on the wing. He would leave the defense on in island in the midfield. Didn't seem to be too interested in anything but using his speed to press forward.

Berner has also taken less chances coming further out of goal to challenge the other team. He's starting to settle in nicely and had a strong game in our first win. I think it also helps we've since revamped the back line that's right in front of him.

5. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just looks brutal!

6. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
  7. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kucsdat, Jimmydinho, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  8. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hairston's assist (at 2:10) is a play I don't think you'd expect many right backs in MLS to make. His goal was a calm finish.

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I have to preface what I am going to write by saying I am a huge fan of Hairston. Last season before I left for England he made a positive impression on me. No, I don't think he was refined, but he had all the attributes to become a very good MLS player. His touches and vision seemed solid and he played positive passes. And he had a very good work rate.

Now he's being given a look at right back, which I endorsed several months ago. I did so with the thought that he has the right stuff for the position and if he could learn to read the game properly it seemed he could have a big impact both defending and attacking in that role.

After having watch the Rapids in their 4-2-3-1 this season I am second guessing myself. Not because I don't think he would make a good right back, but because he looks to me like he would be a very good fit pairing with either Sarvas or Pittinari in front of the back line. I can envision him become good at reading the game and intercepting a lot of passes as well as springing teammates with his passes. And it seems he has a scoring touch. Too bad the Rapids didn't have him last night.

10. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Great game this week! We got revenge for the 3-0 loss against the Kickers early in the season. Hairston was great, we even serenaded him with a little "please don't leave us" when he was subbed off. That got him to turn around and laugh.

The team is really gelling well and finally capitalizing on chances that weren't going in through the first three or four games. Outside of the mental lapse in the 6th minute the game was heavily dominated by the Jacks.

Enough can't be said about the recent defensive additions of Bilal Duckett and Mechack Jerome. Along with Patrick Slogic and Hairston they've turned into a formidable back line. I don't think it's coincidental that our first two wins have come since Duckett and Jerome paired up.

Looking forward to the revenge tour continuing in Harrisburg City this weekend. We drew 1-1 a few weeks back in a game most fans believe was very winnable. Here's hoping to three in a row!

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 COMtnGuy, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Are we sure Hairston is playing RB? On his goal scoring play he was in center of field the whole way, hard to believe and outside back would find himself there usually but he did have crosses that looked like he was at RB.

Edit: Yep RB

Charlotte Independence

May 8 at 3:46pm · .

CLT Starting XI: GK-Berner; D-Slogic, Jérôme, Duckett, Hairston; M-Ribeiro, Herrera, A.Martinez, Del Piccolo; F-Finley, Thompson

12. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Also there's Ryan Finley giving him a hard time.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32800&ATCLID=210083988

“I had Marlon, I think it was in the Harrisburg game, with one, and we were all busting his chops about his lack of finishing,” said Finley to the Charlotte Post’s Ashley Mahoney. “I think he made up with that one, so I was pretty pumped for him. I don’t know how he scored from the left side of the field playing right back, but we’ll take it.”

jayd8888 repped this.
  13. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    kucsdat, Stuart95, Hararea and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte lose 2-0 to Harrisburg City Islanders. Only caught the tail end of the match.

15. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    I too missed the game but Harrisburg finally posted the highlights.

From the tweets I was reading it seemed like the Jacks never really got in sync during the match. Highlight wise I wonder why Finley tried to head that one in versus chipping the ball high into the net.

A reddit user (credit /u/sideburnsy) on the USLPRO posted an interesting grid of Offensive and Defensive effectiveness for each USL club. Didn't want to post the pictures as the full resolution is huge. But here is the link:

https://imgur.com/a/6HFTs

Offensively the Jacks are just outside the "Energetically Wasteful" section, meaning we create a lot of chances either of low quality or profligate. Another interesting takeaway is we averagethe most shots per game in the USL by about 1 full shot over Tulsa/Louisville City.

Defensively we look to be middle of the pack if not in the slightest leaning towards "Easily Breached" meaning we restrict the opponents chances but defense is easily breached.

Converting our many chances was something we've known was an issue from early on in the year when the first study done like this showed Charlotte was the most unlucky club to date. Hopefully it's just a string of early bad luck and not a trend that sticks with us for the remaining 20 games.

Time to move on to the US Open Cup, we'll be facing Upward Stars this Wednesday with the winner taking on NASL's Carolina Railhawks the 27th. A footnote to that is we defeated the Railhawks 1-0 this preseason.

Stuart95 and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a report that Berner was injured and had to leave the game at half.

17. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Ah I forgot that in my recap but yes that happened in the 40th minute.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    #93 CLTJacks811, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

Also from that press release a few injury updates for our loanees.

- Berner has a right knee contusion but has returned to full training
    - Caleb Calvert suffered a head injury requiring 10 stitches and will be out of full contact training till those are removed.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I'm going to assume Berner and Calvert are on season-long loans but the other two loanees are there on short-term loans until they've recovered fitness or are needed by the Rapids.

20. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fwiw, this is exactly how I was hoping our USL affiliate would be used; as an competitive assignment to get those on the cusp but off the bench players sharp and keep or get them up to 90 minute levels of fitness and able to be recalled as worthwhile contributors to first team. Yes, we will probably take a few more injuries knocks than a reserve team would have but I think the added conditioning and sharpness may be well worth it. I hope it doesn't wreak to much havoc w/ Charlottes ability to field a steady starting lineup.

21. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    #96 CLTJacks811, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    We have held a pretty consistent lineup. Losing Hairston will hurt and leave some question marks whether we replace him with the next best defender (likely his replacement, Newnam) or do we fill that spot with an attacking back like Jack Metcalf or Francisco Cordoba. Outside of that Calvert and Alvarez have made sub appearances. Berner is a mainstay as keeper but I feel less tactics are needed for that position.

So in a nutshell we've gotten to see quality of Rapids players while still fielding a fairly consistent team week after week. I'm just bummed our "please don't leave us" chant didn't work on Marlon. Good problem to have I suppose :)

Stuart95 and Jimmydinho repped this.
  22. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte is tied 0-0 in the 2nd half with Carolina in Open Cup play tonight.

I chickened out from going, but looks like Alvarez and Berner in the starting lineup.

JasonMa and Stuart95 repped this.
  23. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte takes the 1-0 lead in the 81'.

JasonMa and Stuart95 repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the final score. Nice job Charlotte! On to New England.

UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  25. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte holds on for the win. Solid result, topping an NASL club.

Looks like Berner came off with an injury, though, while Alvarez nearly went 90'.