Charlotte Independence 2015 (R)

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by UxSxAxfooty, Feb 1, 2015.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I missed Riley's transgression, what was it?

Hope he isn't suspended for the next match as he seemed to have a decent game v Philly.

2. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Karate kick to the opposing player. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some sort of DisCo action. IMO, It was card worthy, although Burling's second yellow was a bit soft so it all worked out.

rod.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  3. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    March 27th is our first match against Charleston Battery, the Houston Dynamo affiliate.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit soft, but it's made up for due to the utter stupidity of the foul. I had no problem with the second yellow being given.

jayd8888 repped this.
  5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Berner going to Charlotte. It makes total sense to loan out your third GK as long as the option is there to recall him if he's needed to serve as a backup. With that said, Berner is going to be in for a battle to wrestle away minutes from Diego Restrepo, one of the better GK's outside of MLS. It won't be easy but competition in never, ever a bad thing.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we will see, I know nothing about Restrepo, but my money on Berner going down there is he's the starter. They could just keep him here if all he gets is pratice time.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Caleb Calvert scored in the first minute of our scrimmage last night against UNC Charlotte. There was a broken play on defense for UNCC and the goalie came out a bit. Caleb made a move and poked in the goal from just outside the box.

Berner and Eloundou also started for us last night. Berner had a few nice saves and also came out of goal twice, once taking out a UNCC player and another time running into one of our own guys resulting in our defender getting a concussion.

Eloundou looked strong playing in a LW spot. The ball stuck to his feet and he was able to make a few nice runs. The majority of his play was in the first half when we had more of the trialists in so as a whole that first half was pretty sloppy.

We ended up losing 2-1 on a late defensive lapse where our defender basically handed the ball to the UNCC forward for an open shot on goal. Overall in preseason the team has gone 0-3-2 with a lot of turnover of trialists. The signed and Rapids guys definitely look in a different class then most of the others we've been trying out.

Here's a good breakdown of the players we've had in and out of preseason.

577905506280308736 is not a valid tweet id

Not yet signed but who I expect to stick with the club: Chris Estridge, Jack Thompson, Ryan Finley, Raphael Cox, Mamadou Kansaye, Charlie Bales

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Newnam is still here in Colorado.

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is CB Grant Van De Casteele there (2014 Rapids #1b pick)?

I thought for sure he would end up there if Rapids didn't re-sign him. Maybe one of the Texas USL sides since he is from there.

10. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Not yet. I commented up thread I thought Grant or Neeskens looked like viable candidates to be loaned to Charlotte. But then both were unsigned/released and haven't ended up on a team as far as I can tell. We were told 4 players would come on loan and we have 3 currently. So it wouldn't surprise me to see Grant sign and be loaned out. Or I threw around the idea that Newnam was going to be released from his Independence contract, sign with the Rapids and then be loaned out to us.

11. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

Maybe its more fair to the player to see if they can get on with another MLS club first before going the USL route.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  12. teamed

teamed Member

May 18, 2014

13. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there's the answer for GVDC. Glad he found a new location, not sure why though we couldn't resign him and keep him in Charlotte...

Tom Collingsworth, Stuart95 and jayd8888 repped this.
  14. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insight and news ... GREATLY APPRECIATED!

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the situiation last year and him only getting in 1 game although we had critical CB needs, I guess he just didn't have ability for MLS level. Why waste a slot like we did for years on Armstrong if you know they just are not likely to ever get there.

22SteveD and JasonMa repped this.
  16. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that wasting a space isn't ideal by any means, but why use a high pick like that and not let him develop in your system (totally separate subject as to if the Rapids EVEN have a system right now)...especially now that the USL relationship exists. I mean I think Grant, Watts, Neeksen, and Eloundu are all players that with the right direction could flourish into MLS or equal leagues elsewhere quality players.

17. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Independence lost their inaugural match tonight to Charleston, 3-2. No match reports yet.

Looks like Eloundou and Berner started.

Tom Collingsworth and 22SteveD repped this.
  19. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte picks up a point tonight. Eloundou and Berner started again, Calvert had the assist.

Tom Collingsworth, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  20. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richmond beat Charlotte 3-0 last night with Berner, Hairston, Eloundou and Calvert all getting time. Berner and Hairston going the full 90, Eloundou starting and getting subbed off at '72 and Calvert coming on as a sub at the 63'.
    http://www.richmondkickers.com/home/872676.html

Tom Collingsworth and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  21. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrisburg City Islanders at Charlotte on now at:

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  22. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1, Charlotte took an early lead but Harrisburg were able to tie it up after the half. Quick match summary up on the USL site: http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32800&ATCLID=210047573 Hopefully Crown Town Soccer will put up a better analysis.

I missed the opening (and opening goal) but watched the rest of the match. Hairston and CO native Patrick Slogic had good games. Calvert played as well. I believe Berner was in goal but never heard his name called and missed the lineups.

Tom Collingsworth and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  23. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slogic scored the goal, Berner and Hairston started, and Calvert came in as a sub in Charlotte's first ever win tonight, a 1-0 result over Louisville City.

Tom Collingsworth, JasonMa and Stuart95 repped this.
  24. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they ever post video highlights of games anywhere?

25. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States