Charlotte Independence 2015 (R)

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by UxSxAxfooty, Feb 1, 2015.

1. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This purpose of this thread is to track happenings with the Rapids' USL Pro affiliate, the Charlotte Independence, including news and match results.

The Independence are slated to play at the American Legion Memorial Stadium, a 21,000 seat natural grass municipal stadium that appears to mainly feature a lacrosse team and high school sports.

The Independence will join the USL Pro Eastern Conference, which includes traditional powers the Charleston Battery, Richmond Kickers, and the Rapids' arch-nemesis Rochester Raging Rhinos. The Independence's first home game with be March 27th against the Battery.

Mike Jeffries, a former Duke player and assistant coach and Hermann Award winner, was hired to coach Charlotte. MLS veterans probably recall Jeffries from his unsuccessful stint with the Dallas Burn, but he had success last season with the PDL's Des Moines Menace, posting a 12-1-1 record, and includes stops with the Chicago Fire under Bradley and as a scout for the USMNT in 2010 on his CV.

At present, 5 players have been signed by the Independence:

Andrew Ribeiro -- a 24 year old defender / mid and Creighton grad, drafted in the Supplemental Draft by NYRB and later signed by Chivas USA, but without an MLS appearance to his name, spent 2014 with the Pittsburgh Riverhounds. Reportedly participating in the Rapids' training camp.

Ben Newnam -- a 23 year old defender and Wake Forest product who spent last year with the Charlotte Eagles. Also participating in the Rapids' training camp.

Paolo DelPiccolo -- a 23 year old midfielder and Wheat Ridge native, drafted in the SuperDraft by Montreal and later signed by New England after a stint with Eintracht Frankfurt. Made 27 appearances for Arizona United last season.

Patrick Slogic -- a big 23 year old defender who grew up in Colorado Springs and played for Liberty HS before moving onto Cornell. Made 16 appearances for Rochester in 2014.

Jorge Herrera -- a 34 year old Colombian forward and veteran of the Charlotte Eagles' organization since 2007. Netted 10 goals for Charlotte in 2014.

2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that the affiliate plays in a stadium with more seating capacity than the Rapids. Does anybody know the field dimensions at their stadium when it is set up for a soccer match? I could only find one chart with dimensions for the field.

3. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    DelPiccolo has helped coach my daughter's soccer team (Wheat Ridge Avalanche) as his dad helps run the league. I had no idea he was with Charlotte currently.

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can count on Caleb Calvert (Chivas dispersal draft) as being sent to Charlotte. Can't even guess yet on others.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its interesting, Calvert does not appear on the Rapids roster page. I'm wondering if something is going on with him.

Tom Collingsworth and COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see TH talking about advantage of guys getting playing time at Charlotte. Still can't figure out who all will go other than Calvert as mentioned above.

Maybe the Navy guy if he defers active duty till 2016.

8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Van de Casteele is in camp, I think. He's the type who could go.

Tom Collingsworth, Stuart95 and 22SteveD repped this.
  9. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still unsigned though, right?

10. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CLTFC repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.

13. CLTFC

CLTFC Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Charlotte has been advertising for a few weeks of the big reveal (Feb 11). In between those dates, the USL decided they would launch there new website and logo (Feb 10). Not sure why, but the USL decided to undercut Charlotte and reveal the logo a day early. The big reveal is still scheduled tonight and seems to be a nicely attended event (I'll be there). With that said, I'll write a little more on how the event went tomorrow. To the earlier question on the stadium. We are suppose to be given more information on that also. There was a huge hold up, with the city, on the renovation of Memorial Stadium and has caused a big problem for the front office of the Independence, but again, more should be clarified tonight.

14. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Made my way over from the USL board. Regarding the TBD stadium, Memorial Stadium is 79 years old and not the width needed for soccer. The team had hoped the financing from the city would be shored up to widen the field and improve amenities in time to renovate before the 2015 season. Unfortunately that did not happen and we're now at the TBD for a field. The team is thinking of constructing a 4,000 seat stadium at a soccer complex in town for the 2015 season. Several universities in the area were considered but the supporters group and others made clear the concern of alcohol sales on a college campus. At the temp stadium there would be ample spots to tailgate, have food trucks and serve beer for the 2015 season.

And yeah the Observer article was a little shoddy. The USL rebranding leaked our logo a day earlier from the reveal party which is in about 3 hours.

I am not affiliated but the best run site for team news is crowntownsoccer.com

Looking forward to our affiliation the next two seasons. Gotta run to finish up some work before leaving for the reveal. I'll try to snap some pictures and share on the boards.

CLTFC, GreatGonzo, Dom. FC and 10 others repped this.
  15. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Ha I'm a little long winded and took longer to write but I'm glad CLTFC and I have a consistent message. See ya there buddy!

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome and thanks for the updates! Please, please if you have some time during the season drop by and gives us an update on all things Independence related. Many of us would like to keep tabs on the club especially considering the relationship. Hopefully, we will be sending some players your way. I can already think of couple who would benefit --- John Berner, Grant Van de Castelle, Jared Watts, Caleb Calvert and Charles Eloundou to name a few. :D

Stuart95, COMtnGuy, JackSwaninCO and 3 others repped this.
  17. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did any of you that went to the supporters meeting tonight get an extra pint glass by any chance

18. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with all these ... I think Watts and Eloundou would benefit from consistent playing time in Charlotte

19. CLTJacks811

CLTJacks811 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Here's a look at our home kit. Well jersey at least, still not sure about what the rest will look like. The event was well attended but the announcement itself was a little hard to hear (shouldn't have given the beer tickets out before the logo/jersey unveil!). I think Jim (owner) and front office aren't that formal. Their comfort zone is being off the stage and mingling with the fans which they did just that for about 2-3 hours after the event. Jim, Wade, Tom (GM), Mike (coach) were excited to be there and very approachable to talk about the club or the sport in general.

After the announcement I found it a little odd that details such as venue for the first game and ticket prices were posted to social media and not mentioned at the reveal party. The venue for the remaining games sounds like it will be the temporary stadium as I had mentioned previously. There are a few i's to dot and t's to cross before the team will officially announce it, but that should be coming in the next week or so.

[​IMG]

20. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
  21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Marlon Hairston is converting to RB than he will be in Charlotte for sure, you need to learn that positon from actual game PT.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it. He'll be learning it while making mistakes and allowing goals to be scored against the Rapids.

23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    [​IMG]Wondering if Ortho Carolina is financially sound ...

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team: