News: Charlie Davies Updates - News & Well Wishes

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you won't risk that for CD9, well, you obviously hate America. ;)

2. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    CD looked pretty good on that interview. You can see he had a significant jaw fracture as his teeth are a little out of alignment. It has also affected his voice. Overall though, he looks good and think if he didn't damage his knees or ankles, will be back to the old CD9 in no time

3. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And freedom.

4. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I interviewed Charlie last January. Listening to that inteview I was shocked at how much his voice has changed. He sounds like a completely different person. And I'm not talking about speach imparement from a busted jaw. His tone, delivery...everything is different.

That car crash really shook him up and it will be interesting to see what sort of effect that has on him as a player moving forward.

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^Yea, i mean i dont want to over analyze, but stuff like this can mess up the strongest people, and for a soccer player to be messed up mentally is never good.

This happened with a guy at milan, he went into a coma after an accident, and was before then the next 'Big' thing for them, but after his accident he never was the same player, and soon started dropping in play.... anyone know who i am talking about?

I forget his name, but he was from like 92-93.

I hope this isnt the case with charlie.... but i mean that was pretty traumatic what happened to him...

6. Tkebh979

Tkebh979 New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Houston-ish
    No, but plenty of horse placenta.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Read post #84 from this thread.

And he still went on to play several seasons in Serie A. Nothing to sneeze at.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    What do we know about his left elbow, the one that (per early reports) required multiple surgeries?

9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I asked you in one of the other CD threads what you thought the timeline would be if your assumption that it was a clean break is true, but you never responded. I'm still curious. I'm not doubting you wrt bone healing, but just want to know how you see him getting to match fitness (or near match fitness, which I'd take) by WC time.

10. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccerkowboy = Barry Bonds. Who knew;)

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am guessing but what Charlie said sounds reasonable- jogging in Feb, maybe playing for real in April.

12. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A most impressive feat that will be!

13. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been identified as Marcelo Balboa and Barry Bonds in the last 24 hours on BS. I think the latter comparison is easily more flattering. :)

14. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    But was he ever the smae player as before??

Either way, i hope for charlie he stays strong and gets through this mentally, cause it is tough knowing a person lost their life in a car accident that you were involved in.

It can cause PTSD.

15. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your post makes a good point. This being a soccer forum everyone on here naturally wants to know how long tell his bones heal and his muscles rebuild, etc., but I hope through all this someone is making sure he receives psychiatric treatment as well. In the interview you hear him talking about how much more emotional he has been since this accident (completely understandable and, to a degree, healthy). Someone with expertise really needs to be monitoring his mental health through this process.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    ooops, meant Feb

17. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well he doesn't really need his elbow to be successfull

18. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    What are the odds that Davies loses a step or two as a result of these injuries? For a player like Davies, who relies primarily on speed, that could really be devastating (see Beasley).

19. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu

Thanks, Kemo. Here's a translation (of what is probably a French translation of an English interview -- it would be funny to see how close this translation is to the original English interview):

An experience, despite everything

This experience is extremely difficult to live, but will help me be a better person in the long run. I spoke with Bob Bradley on the telephone, and he visited me in the hospital. That made me happy. He reassured me in telling me that everything will be ok, that I'm going through a difficult period, but that it will teach me about values in life. It was a very positive exchange for me.

A World Cup in Africa

That means everything and even more to me. Lots of my family are in Gambia (his father is of Gambian origin). To play in a World Cup has always been a goal and a dream of mine. I've always worked to represent the United States in Africa. I will do everything I can to have the best chance of being there. It will be fantastic.

The medical opinions

The doctors were very positive about my return, but without announcing a return date. The leg that was operated on will be stronger than it was before, and they were surprised at my progress in my recovery. I could see in their eyes that they think I can come back to my level. The doctors told me that I had the luck to be young and in good shape before the accident. They told me they are impatient to watch the world cup this summer. I'm giving everything for that.

His return to the pitch

I'm of the opinion that I'll be a better player than before the accident. Even if I used to give 110% on the pitch, I appreciate the game more now. I hope that my whole heart will come back, and I will become the best player I can be. I hope soon to be able to run, but I'm not setting a date so that I'm not disappointed if I don't run by that date. I hope in a few months at least that I'll be able to play a bit of soccer.

Present at the 2010 World Cup?

I believe so. Those who know me know that I can build muscle and get into shape very quickly. When I can run, I won't be far from being able to play soccer. After two good months of soccer, I will certainly be ready. I will do everything to be ready this summer.

20. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Even if he doesn't make it, you have got to love his optimism. We're rooting for you, Charlie.

21. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I like that part about his building muscle and getting into shape quickly. That part comes from experience because he's had a serious knee injury in the past.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess he's saying that the latest he'll need to be able to play is April 12th if he's gonna have a shot at this?

Means that he'd have to be running by late March/early April?

23. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    the question is where is he gonna get 2 good months of soccer...

i thing it'll take 12 weeks to get back to his best running shape, so he'd be a tad short of that, although, it's a question of how he can deal with the contact in soccer...

that's the major problem, getting hurt again...