Charlie Davies - Sochaux v. Bordeaux [R], 8/15, 1pm EST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Pinowski AP, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're high! I'll take the no college crew of Mandon, Bradley, and Altidore.

2. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Landon's a YA? I mean, I agree that Los Angeles belongs more on Mars than Earth, but I'm not sure LD qualifies as a YA.

3. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone find a video of Chuck Deezy's golazo?

4. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man this kid is on fire...15 goal season perhaps??

5. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    I think that's an appropriate projection, barring injury. Looks like he's going to be a starter, and he's on a tear currently.

I'd be very surprised if he got less than 10, and equally surprised with 20+, so 15 sounds good.

6. LSDFireFan

LSDFireFan Member

Sep 4, 2002
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPgOFlHNBD0"]YouTube - " Sochaux 2-3 Bordeaux " ligue 1 de la 2e journée 2009 tous les buts.[/ame]

game highlights - 1st Davies goal around 2:30

2 people repped this.
  7. rwani13

rwani13 New Member

Aug 2, 2008
  8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't.

9. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
  10. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Davies almost had 2 assists..there was a play that wasn't on the highlights in which Davies did another nice layoff, and strong stop by the goalie.

As far as the shot being lucky- not at all...he took it early, and the great goalscorers do their shooting in the 'inbetween beat' which seems to often find the goalie not planted, not ready and sneak it through.

Go watch Giorgio Chinaglia in the old Cosmos days, (or Gert Mueller) and see a clinic on how to shoot a split second early and catch a goalie in motion and find holes...

also, when you are that deep, you hit it hard and early, because there is always good chance of any deflection going in..you never want to give a defender and goalie any more time to close an angle or get a block. It is riskier to take an extra 1/2 second to try to place it.

11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Davies first goal reminded a little of Brazil's first goal against the USA in the Confed Cup.

12. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was trying to tuck it in behind the keeper, who was guessing far-post. Could've been placed a little better, but I wouldn't call it lucky.

As for Bordeaux' first goal...WOW! What was the 'keeper thinking? I realize it took a deflection, but he was WAY off his line with an opposing player that close to his net. I'm not even sure why the guy was even passing with the 'keeper giving him the near post like that.

13. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I see you've been checking Freddy Adu's Twitter.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    you mean arguably went to college or arguably our best?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Davies, Dempsey, Gooch v Landy, Altidore, Bradley 3 v 3.

Nice week for Davies. If he'd gotten his head on the cross in Azteca he'd justabout pop a nut.

15. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Davies speak any French?

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dance is an international language.

17. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are goals.

18. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesnt he have 3 goals already?

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 goals, tied for 2nd in the league (ligue).

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    By now he should have a few phrases down. I'd guess he speaks basic Swedish.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Just the beginning. I'm expecting a start and a goal for his next match.

The chairman and coach must be really excited about Davies' potential for the season as of now.

22. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Of those 3, I'd only pick Landon over Dempsey, Onyewu, and Davies right now. European clubs seem to agree with me, since all of those 3 play for better clubs than the relegation strugglers Bradley & Altidore are play for.

23. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    The biggest advantage to college soccer is that it keeps players from MLS. That does more for their development than anything else.

BTW, I'd think you meant Onyewu & Davies, since they went straight to Europe from college.

24. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Davies, Bradley and Altidore play for relegation battlers in France, Germany and England, respectively. England > Germany > France

However, that really isn't a solid argument for where those guys are in their development.

25. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd much rather have MLS set up a good youth and reserve setup where players can play all year round, compared to the single semester system at the college level.

And I was referring to Davies and Dempsey because they were relatively unknown within the U.S. Soccer program. Gooch, meanwhile, had competed with the Youth Nats in his younger days, so he was already pretty well known before he hit college.