Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I liked it somewhat. Thought it got repetitive and didn't like the fact that the sinister edge didn't lead anywhere in the end. Some of the Oompa-loompa routines were not so good, some were brilliant. The first 30-40 minutes in the house were very good, in my opinion. I think kids would like the movie quite a bit, and it seems geared toward them, which makes some of its problems more palatable.

The only thing is, why remake this movie? It seems like it was remade primarily to touch up the paint on the special effects. A real CGI-centric mindset. I would so much rather see money going to other places.

2. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    good movie yeah depp did reminisce like mj but all round pretty good movie enjoyeable tow atch but mostly for the kids.

3. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    i loved it, i've always liked depp's punk a$$.

it was everything i expected but the ending could have been better.

i dug the older version ending better with them flying out over the city and singing that tune...how did that go again?

plus, i was so lifted (translation: high as a kite).

great, great time and i don't know about this jacko thing...didn't pop into my mind whatsoever until i read the reviews and postings here thereafter.

next, burton should remake that old "time bandits" flick with the midgets and stuff...that was trippy.

4. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I really don't get why people are comparing Depp's Wonka to Michael Jackson. I'm just not seeing it. To me he comes off more as a mildly sadistic kiddie slasher villain. Wonka, that is.

I liked the back story mostly because it created an excuse to get Christopher Lee into the film. Lee should be in every film.

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didnt think of jacko once while watching the movie. i dont see the likeness in character.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite all the Depp/Jackson references I read in various previews, I hardly saw the likeness either.

-G

7. MagicShotGlass

May 4, 2004
    DFW
    If Depp was channeling anyone, I would say it was Mr Rogers on coke.

The original was charming, the new one was clever. I like both versions.

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree with the Michael Jackson line of thinking either. I enjoyed this movie pretty much. I was most entertained by Wonka's asides and the cantankerous grandfather (the one who didn't go into the factory). The weird eyeballs by the woman that played Tony Shaloub's alien lover in Galaxy Quest were good too. All in all it was much better than the Gene Wilder one, which I've always despised.

9. DeftlyApt

DeftlyApt New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    i watched it and i thought it could've been better, but some of the scenes were literally eye candy...