Charleston v Miami 5-21 (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, May 18, 2009.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a pretty dismal game by the Battery on Friday night, hopefully the boys will bounce back and give us a win at home.

Still havent heard anything official on Armstrong, I understand he went for a scan on his ankle but not sure.

Fuller also didnt play On Friday not sure why.

Wilson will have served his suspension so should be back in the starting line up.

Miami is going through a tough spot right now and will be looking to right the ship. I have lot of confidence in our defense and hopefully the boys can play like they did in Miami and Carolina. I feel our Offense will eventually click and hopefully go a bit of a run.

Deigo Serna got himself another red card so he will miss the match on Wednesday. it will be interesting to see if the Cubans make the trip up.

No real tailgate as it is mid week but a few of us are going to gather in the usual place around 6:30 to share a couple beers before heading in.

Post any prematch articles that you find.

mikey

2. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not at the point of the season where we talk about "must win" games but if this match were in September, it would be. At home against Miami after a bit of a long road trip and the draw in Montreal pretty unspectacular, this one is definitely teed up for our boys to take 3 points. Get back to attacking and cranking shots. Follow up on the butter fingered GK. Pressure, pressure, pressure. Impose our will.

I think that about covers it. Miami traditionally is long on offense but short on the D end, we should be able to knock at least 2 past. And of course Dusty and the backline are impenetrable.

2-0 Batts over Blues.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fun with numbers.

did a little research and number crunching and though I would share

the Battery have played 6 games, and scored 4 goal (0.66 goals per game) while taking 66 shots (average 11 per game). The opponents have 'saved' 23of those shots (average 3.83 per game) . We have only given up two goals while the opponents have taken 45 shots (average 7.5 per game) and forced Hudock to make 14 saves (average 2.33 per game).

Not sure what that means really other than what we already knew, our defense has been stingy and we are creating shots the team just needs to start converting them.

just a slow day at work.

Mikey

4. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The back line has been nothing short of impressive thus far. The offense is confusing. There are a ton of shots (some of quality, some iffy) but they are just not going in. The law of averages says they will start going in for us, sooner or later. Yoshi has been fantastic with his crosses, if not the best on the team in that category. Things just seem a bit disjointed up front.

I will call for a 2-0 Battery win with Patterson netting one and Antoniuk dunking in the other. Just a hunch. :rolleyes:

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Would this be the same Alcantara that we've had so much "fun" discussing here over the past couple of months?

Hint......(highlight to reveal): We're gonna need more duct tape!

:D

8. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

So i know its Latino night this wed for the game...but i think we should make it duct tape night as well...lol.

9. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh....LatinO Night. Whew, that's a relief. The ad I saw in the paper said Latin Night. I was having a hell of a time translating "Hey Dennis, run me a cold one over to E10" into Latin......

10. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

Latin - Latino, Tomato - Tomato same difference...lol

Since everyone has been doing predictions and im bored ill throw mine in there but based on the weather possiblities

No rain and no wind: CHS 3-0

Rain and no wind: CHS 2-1

Wind and no rain: CHS 2-0

11. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! You get an official "Duct Tape" night at the Baud, and I'll bring a case to E10!! :D No discrimination...duct tape has feelings too...

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery win 1-0 with a goal from Darren Spicer

Bad accident on I526 caused a traffic to grind to a halt and Miami's bus was in it. I know one person who was stuck in traffic for 90 mins. they delayed kick off by 30 min due to that.

first half was pretty boring. I think we had the better chances though. Second was a little nerve racking because i felt we were giving miami too much space in the final third. But credit to the defense they pretty much shut everything down and I dont think Hudock was really tested tonight.

Unfortuantly our injury list seems to be growing. along with Woodbine, Armstong and Fuller were both out with injuries. Antoniuk made the motion to the beanch to be subbed out and was holding his hamstring. just before Wilson was subbed, he pulled up off the ball and you could clearly see he was grimacing and favoring his foot.

Spicer came on and looked like he was trying to prove something and he did with the goal.

good win and hopefully they can build mommentum going into Saturdays game against Rochester

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    Not sure that I bring much to the table Mikey, but I just saw Armstrong and Johnny at Whole Foods, and J-dub wasn't favoring the foot today. I would have asked, but I'm not the type to bother someone while their eating.

As always... Love, Peace and Taco Grease!!!

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thats good news about Wilson hopefully.

and your last line makes me want to head up to one of my favorite places in the world, the Taco truck on Ashley Phosphate Rd. and Stall Rd. 99cent tacos... yum!

17. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Smudgers-----LOVE the avatar!! Sweet!!

18. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Was in town so I decided to go to this game since I've never been to a USL game before. Great game by Charleston, I thought they thoroughly dominated play (aside from the opening minutes in the 2nd half) and deserved the win. I thought Antoniuk was great and despite Spicer's yellow card just seconds after coming on he played good and deserved the goal. Defense wasn't tested very much but I thought Wilson was the best on the backline (they all did well though).

However, I was disappointed with the crowd and especially the unprofessionalism of the... 'atmosphere'. I realize it was a Wednesday night but there were like 8 people in the "supporters section". There were 2,500 or so in attendance I heard... they really can't think of any way to get more of them to sit together/in that section? We were planning on buying seats to be part of the section but luckily some guy gave us free tickets for W7, so we sat there instead. After seeing the 'turnout' I was very glad we didn't end up trying to sit in E10 like we originally planned.

And I thought that pretzel promotion 'do the twist' thing was the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen from any sporting team, ever. Even the Lansing Lugnuts (a single-A baseball team who has some horrendously stupid gimmick promotions) aren't that tacky. I mean, really? The players are trying to play a highly competitive match and they're blasting some stupid song for a full minute straight right in the middle of it? What the hell? I thought I was going to a USL-1 match and instead felt like I was at a PDL scrimmage (aside from the play on the field - which I said, I thought was really good).

19. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

Really sorry you didnt have as good of a time as you expected. However it was a mid-week game and we never have great turnouts for mid-week games. People have work, some after working dont want to go out to the game, and others were out of town for the upcoming memorial day weekend. As far as the pretzel twister minute its never bothered really anyone and between that and our Coldstone Shutout promos those are the 2 mainstay promotions we have. It has been a mainstay for many years and no team has ever had a problem with it and im sorry you did. If you see them as tacky im sorry but there are plenty of sporting stadiums that blare music during the game and so forth. And they dont make you do the twist...they play the music so that you know when the minute starts and goes off when the minute is up.

As for not sitting in E-10 because of the small group well that was your loss. We would've welcomed you with open arms and talked up a storm but really you didnt get "lucky" with the tickets....once you get in the stadium you can move around to any seat as long as no one is there. My season tickets are in E-6 and I am always in E-10...luck had nothing to do with that my friend. The E-10 section is for the fans who yell, curse, scream, make as much noise as we can with 8 or 40 or a full section. We tend to get pretty rowdy and some enjoy that and some dont.

If you can find any statistics that teams who have midweek games have MORE attendance or close to the same as the would on a weekend end I would be more then happy to retract my statment. Charleston is a small market and always has been. Our capacity is 5,113...so we were at least 50% full. And with as much as our stadium offers such as the 3 Lions pub, the pinic areas, beer gardens, and party tents usually people will be all spread out to get their favorite spot and be there the whole game. Just because people are a part of the Regiment does not mean you HAVE to sit in E-10 all game long.

Once again truly sorry you didnt have a good time but if you are ever in Charleston again come to a weekEND game and come to the tailgate beforehand and sit in E-10 next time. I can promise you you will have a better time.

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just to echo revhammerbat above, shame you didnt enjoy the atmosphere.

I feel the Battery has found a decent balanced between paying the bills (ie the sponsors during the game etc) and not playing jock rock all during the match, like several other USL matches Ive been to. The Stadium is quality and the site lines are great. you're close to the action and you'd be hard pressed to find a better stadium in US expecially in regards to the price of concessions, our pro shop, and the pub.

Mid week games are notoriously bad draws for us. Take your pick of reasons and with that, the supporters sections was missing several regulars and the casuals that filter in and out throughout the game. We probably had closer to 40 or 50 in E10 on Saturday night and thought we did a decent job with the atmosphere.

We didnt really start teh supporter section until like 2004 and even then several of the most Die hard who had been sitting in there seats since 1999 when the stadium opened, dont want to move. Thats fine with me. Everone supports in there own way. In fact I would say there are Three different supporter sections.

One on the west side right at midfield. Mostly older English guys soem have called the "Boddington's Boys Choir" you can hear them at the 88min with their rendition of "you'll never walk alone" A second one that stands behind the visiting goalie or the "BGC" (behind the goal crew) they like to give the opposing keeper a hard time and following him from one side of the pitch to the other.

Then there is E10, I would say we have a core of about 20-30 some more vocal than others, but we always have others that join. I would love if we were more organized in our chants and songs. Would love if we had 200-300 every match but it is what it is. We started with four of us. three of them have since moved away but I feel we are slowly growing.

anyhow enough of my rambling. If you ge tback down this way, look me up and Ill make sure we find a way to get you up into the pub. It is the jewel in the crown of the stadium.

21. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot of kids had exams last week, so a mid week game wasn't in their cards. They just play the Twist music, because it 's the Pretzel Twister, they have never asled anyone to dance. Besides, every time they play it, we give the ball away anyway.

22. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow......all I can say is wow.....

You guys (Mikey, RHB, MrObv) were a LOT nicer than I would have been. Being born and raised in The South, my mama taught me that if I didn't have anything nice to say about someone, I should just keep my mouth shut.

I wouldn't visit somewhere, then come in and bash the poor time I had. You know what? The tix didn't cost anything....all you lost was 2 hours...end of story...

And the interstate runs North, too...plus, if it wasn't for folks like you, there'd be no such things as Alligator Farms....;)

23. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    get out the duct tape again...:D

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We have to maintain our Southern hospitality at all times shealygg, like true Southern gentlemen ;)

25. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yikes...I guess duct tape will be my moniker from here on out...deservedly so I reckon...:p Should probably change my avatar to reflect that...

So true...I guess I've been hanging around the Bayern forums too much! :eek: Not much Southern hospitality around those parts. I guess I should've just kept my mouth shut, too.....my bad.....:eek:

I'll behave...