Charleston, SC game, articles and discussion

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Feb 5, 2003.

1. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Agreed except for Fair...she ain't gonna be there.
    Finally.
    ------------------------
    And I think Wagner will play the full 90.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Yup. Fair suffered an ankle injury in China during the FNT.

3. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. I agree about april drawing from a hat. I observed some of the training camps and so i was eager to see how she would choose versus how the players performed in the camp.

In my opinion, performance in the camp bears no relation to picks for the roster. She simply must know far in advance who she wants play, and just has some extras at camp for development or injury etc.

Why oh why does she not want Abby W? It doesn't make much sense. She is strong...talented ....creative. Capable in the future of filling a Michelle Akers type role of dominating by size as well as skill.

I was shocked that she was not on the roster. and carrying only 3 forwards is pretty limiting strategy wise right from the get go. It doesn't make sense not to replicate world cup strategy this close to the cup. With only 3 forwards, no mac as a spare...potentially brandi could move up.... But why limit formations...esp in case of injury etc.

5. from your nice interview April said :

"Now, it has some of it's drawbacks for us and that is, this will be the first world event that we'll go to as a team without a residency program, without the national team being together exclusively for 6 months. "

Yikes...all of these great experiments....somebody hold me.

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    1) Any guesses on attendance for today? I am guessing it doesn't hit 5000 today. Way to show your support for the USWNT!!!!

2) RE: Abby. I think it has to do with the fact (actually my own speculation) is that her and Heinrichs just do not see eye to eye on things. Heinrichs and Abigial probably just have different expectations on a variety of matters.

7. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    A little off topic...but you carolina-ers... are you expecting 12-20 inches of snow like us jersey people are???? if so, i hope it doesnt affect the game

8. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked one of the Battery folks about ticket sales and mid-week, they were expecting around 3,000. Frankly, I think the promos for the game are slack. The local TV stations have done segments on the team and the game this week and those are fine, that helps (and they're also free of charge). But, I don't see/hear much in the way of radio, print or billboard advertising. I know the stadium's small, so there's a return on investment issue, but, USSF, don't bitch about a small crowd when you've apparently spent very little of your money to advertise the match.

Remember, last year in Charleston, we had a fricking monsoon in the 2nd half, so, people are probably a little gun shy and are waiting to see what the weather's like. And right now, it's not looking good. We're not going to get any snow or ice, but they're calling for a 90% chance of rain. And if you look at the national radar, there's very little chance we'll miss it, I just hope it's a light drizzle and not a deluge. However, temps will be about 50 and windy at kickoff, so, I predict the walk up crowd ain't going to walk up for this one.

9. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
  10. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Re: Re: Re: Charleston, SC training camp squad named

we saved Millie for important games only because we can combine her with any other forwards so no need for April to experiment on her.

11. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    ESPN2 Coverage

I fixed your post. ;)