Charity: "Bleeding Heart Tightwads"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by IntheNet, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been thinking about this a bit the last couple of days. For one, I was reminded of a quote by Barbara Bush, who said "Some people give time, some money, some their skills and connections, some literally give their life's blood. But everyone has something to give." For another, I wondered how you might classify someone like me, who belongs to a conservative church but leans left on most political issues. I guess that worrying about where to "credit" charity sort of misses the point of charity but not the survey.

2. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Yes, Jesus just LOVES it when we keep score on who is the most giviest. :D

That's a nice quote from Barbara.

3. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    I'm not insinuating that my small sample proves one thing or the other, but it does seem that my conservative friends & myself give more in one way or another than my liberal friends.

Afterall, as a Christian, we want to help those less fortunate. It kind of goes with the territory. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I read Arthur Brooks’ book a few years back. He slices and dices the demographics a number of different ways: Liberal/Conservative, Rich/Poor, Religious/Secular, etc., etc. Each category has about 4 or 5 different buckets. Some groups, like the “poor” are further subdivided in to groups like the working/welfare. Geographical regions are also compared. He also distinguishes between religious and secular giving. Then he analyzes the data a hundred different ways.

So no worries, you'd get dumped into liberal/religious a bucket.

IIRC religious conservatives and religious liberals give at roughly the same rate.

5. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Hmm, that's weird

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Especially since the data says neither group tithe. BTW, the most generous group in America is the working poor.

7. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I wonder what scientific method they use to determine whether a household is liberal or conservative.

And blue states pay a hell of a lot more in taxes towards poor people ...and red states.