Charge-Spirit [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Charge!, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    For the second year running, Philadelphia's best professional sports team is in the post-season.

Despite a 40-minute lightning and rain delay, the Charge not only scored on the Spirit for the first time in 236 minutes of meetings this season, but blew them out, 3-1 to clinch a semifinal berth August 17. Crowd was 6,889, most decent for the wild weather the region had, and most of whom hung tough through the delay. Charge ended a 3-game winless streak with the victory.

Stats:
    Shots: 15-14, SD
    SOG: 8-6, SD
    Fouls: 12-10, SD
    Corners: 8-2, Philly
    Offsides: 4-2, Philly
    Saves: 7-3, Philly

Stacey Tullock scored her first-ever career goal off a Zhao Lihong corner kick in the 56th minute. Erica Iverson doubled her career goal output 9 minutes later, and Marinette Pichon closed it out in minute 71 with a screaming volley off another Lihong corner punched out by goalie Carly Smolak. Lihong set a team record and tied a WUSA record for most assists in a single game, assisting on all three goals. Melissa Moore was Melissa Moore, that is, the best goalie in this league, stoning chances by Julie Fleeting and a couple of fearsome MacMillan free kicks. SD's lone tally was a Jen Mascaro redirect of an Amy Sauer cross in the 58th minute.

Officiating quality plunged faster than the Dow Jones industrial average in the second half with Pichon playing Kelly Smith to San Diego's consistent hacking of her. Two Charge goals were called back for reasons unknown to mankind. Despite it all, the Charge did themselves a tremendous favor by sealing the deal with a 2-goal lead.

Charge remain in first place, up by 2 points over Carolina, with each having two games left.A Washington win or draw at RFK vs. Atlanta, and the Charge will host the semifinal. Charge host San Jose Wednesday at Fan Appreciation/Lorrie Fair Bobblehead Doll II Night.

Paul

2. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Coach K post-game quotes (Re: Charge-Spirit [R])

On the team's now-in-the-past slide: "We needed to have a good game today. We said to the team before the game, 'Lets get ourselves regrouped.'

"We did know when we went to San Jose we would back off and give some of the fresh legs more of a chance to play and rest some of the tired. We knew tonight was going to be very important to us. We needed not only to play well but to get the result.

"We want to go into the playoffs, into the semi-finals playing well. There's a fine line in finding health in the team and making sure all these players are healthy and available to help the team win. But also playing at a good level when we are playing for the playoffs."

On Pichon's successful return from a busted-up toe: "Pichon is a valuable weapon; we need to be careful for her. But it was also important for her to knock the ball at the goal and knock the ball in the goal, and she did."

The full article can be found at http://www.philadelphiacharge.com/press_room/321182.html

Paul

3. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Does anybody know if the Charge game will be on again?

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Ok,, my take on the match:

1) Basically the Charge put their best offense out there, and for 15 minutes everything was directed towards San Diego. The possession was good and some decent chances well taken.

2) Zaho and Benson were on the left with Liu shading that direction, Then the enxt 30 minutes found San Diego dominating, and everything was coming of the Charge left. MacMillian and Fleeting were taking advantage of both Zhao and particularly Benson getting caught forward, and Macmillian is a step faster than BEnson. Compounding it was Liu is not the best in covering for wide players gone forward, leaving Tietjen and Iverson extended and giving up too mcuh space.

3) Solution, switch Zhao and Conners, and all the problems went away. Conners hesitancy to go forward solidified that side defensively. And wit Fair reluctant to push up on the left, Zhao had total freedom.

4) the 3 goals, 3 corners by Zhao, but poro Smolak probably is having dreams. The 1st Tullock was totally unmarked, and Stacey was right there with Smolak, almost on the goalline. Keeper needs to challenge there. 2nd goal by Iverson, Smolak challenges, but never gets to the ball, in no mans land. 3rd goal, Smolak punches clear, but right to Pichon who reacts with her lethal left. Not the best series for any keeper.

5) Melissa Moore was brilliant the first half, robbing Fleeting whose shot was heading upper right. San Diego goal, Fair got beat wide, ball into space, and a great finish. Fair seemed to get beat a little bit too often, but what can you say when you play out of position. I though Alfiler had done a better job at right back than Fair.

6) Conners disallowed goal was a bad call. Right in front of me, but poor linesman was too close to the play, ever to get the right angle to see the serve and catch Conners breaking behind the defenders who were pushing off. He needed to be up in the stands where I was.

7) Cherished moment, SIMULATION, the ref actuallu waving the FOUNDING player to get up, after diving. Only thing missing was a yellow for simulation.

8) if Atlanta does NOT win, I say play the bench and make sure all the starters miss either San Jose or Atlanta. Remember CArolina plays on Sunday, and they can select which team they want to play, that is, rest everyone at San Diego.

5. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Connors disallowed goal was a bad call. I sit directly across from you Adam, so I also saw she was clearly on-side. Defense didn't even see Connors, that's why she was so open. Mascaro, I believe, was marking another Charge player. The ref took some heat from the fans last night.

I think the Founding player was MacMillan. I also remember that moment and had a chuckle.

What a side volley Pichon rocketed into the net. That was a thing of beauty. She had amazing timing and control of her body.

Unfortunately, because of the storm, my tape cut of around the 60th minute. I checked the tv listings and didn't see the game listed to be rebroadcast. Comcast Sportsnet doesn't usually rebroadcast the games.

6. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    On the disallowed goal, there was no way the linesman could get it right, he was too close to everything to get perspective.

I think Benson and Tietjen should get a day off Wednesday, and sit Pichon to keep her hidden from San Jose, just in case we match up with them on August 17.

Atlanta owns tie breaker with San Jose, so Atlanta can clinch a playoff slot on Wednesday, whcih would mean next Saturday is again, the battle of benches.

7. tritonspirit

tritonspirit New Member

Pichon's Goal

I have a tape of the entire match and can make arrangements to get you a copy if you can't get it from any other source. I used a 160 tape and so I was even able to record the August edition of "In the Spirit" with Julie Foudy, but I'll understand if you are only interested in a copy of the match. ;)

8. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Well, it would appear that the Charge-CyberRays game will be the repeat broadcast at 1 on Saturday but since they already shown that match twice, I am hoping. They have changed which game at that time before. I forget when but they have.

9. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks very much tritonspirit. I may get in contact with you if they don't rebroacast the game this week.

10. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Rebroadcasts tend to be CN8 origins.

The only time I recollect COMCAST doing a rebriadcast was a DC match last year at RFK.

Go to usatoday.com and in the sports section, do a search for soccer telecasts for the NEXT 7 days.

That's how I find what's on, and when.