Charge/Freedom Founders Cup II semifinal pre-match!

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Charge!, Aug 11, 2002.

1. judymd

judymd New Member

i hope you're wrong about the timing only. i don't think my heart can take going into overtime. let's just get this thing over with in 90. if we can get frenchie to score a couple of goals early and then just go into defense mode, we'll be fine.

i like monroe going in at the same time as mia. monroe is such a pesky player and so tenacious. she's afraid of no one. i'd let her mark mia. if tullock is having a good day, she can control the midfield. spread it out wide to lihong and let her put lots of crosses into the box. try for corner kicks and let erica score another goal. i like connors on the other wing. i like her defensive tracking back. i think its very useful.

the freedom are used to giving up early goals and then waiting for mia to clean everything up for them. its how they have succeeded this season. so lets take the early goals, and then just shut mia down. we'll be fine. i predict our favorite score 3-1. in 90 minutes. please.

2. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
    From Washingtonfreedom.com:

"Gabarra confirmed that Mia Hamm will not start Saturday, but Freedom fans can rest assured that they will see Hamm in action. The Freedom's recent pattern has been to put Hamm on after halftime, but Gabarra did not dismiss the option of bringing her on earlier.

'Mia definitely won't start,' he said. "

Okay, well that can conclude that dilemna. I agree with you judymd. This is not a game where I want to go into overtime. In overtime, it is anyone's game. I expect Washington defenders to be glued to Marinette, so I am afraid of that. If they can get someone like Martin or Clemens to be a part of the attack, it could work in their favor. Dont forget, Martin scored 2 goals - her only goals of the season - against washington. If the charge can surprise Washington with something like that, it would be really cool. My biggest fear is that the Charge arent mentally ready to go against the hottest team in the wusa.

Go charge!!!! Please score first!!!

3. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
  4. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    most charge crowds are late arriving and id expect alot of walk ups...you dont really wanna take your family to the return of rolen and the fans who will be there i dont want at villanova. as for the X games...think they are a different demographic.

besides, ask any MLS fan...its harder to sell playoff tix than regular season tix.

And as ive said before id rather have 3000 charge fans than 6000 freedom fans

5. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Starting Hamm takes away her effectiveness coming in against more tired players.

And her chance to play an effective 120 minutes is highly doubted.

So she comes in at the half, having to play only 75.

If the Charge ever get up two goals in the 1st half, she would come on then.

My idea of Liu at forward and Pichon in midfield would pose some match-up difficulties for DC.

Pichon would be getting forward a lot, and DC would need to be alert for her support, versus the lone forward idea, where you pretty much already know where she is. And when she was in midfield against San Jose, she did drift to the RIGHT several times, with criminal effectiveness.

I can see playing the ball to Liu who with her holding skill can make the killer pass to Pichon.

Perhaps this gets used in the 2nd half.

As Chargefans have stated, Sundhage and Krikorian have been master strategists all year, and they know what they want to do.

We just speculate.

6. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree with Adam about Mia being more effective by playing exclusively in the 2nd half. They are fortunate they can pull that ace when the situation warrants it.

It amuses me to read all these articles about Mia & the Hammsters, how they'll march to the Finals. Undoubtedly Woosa wants Mia in Atlanta. But first, they have to prove they can win against the league's best defense.

With all this attention on Mia, I wouldn't be surprised to see the officials whistle anything remotely a foul on her as such. As long as it's not a phantom penalty like last season . . .

I like the idea of Liu at forward, while keeping Pichon deeper initially. This should disrupt the opponent's game plan. Liu's better suited at forward than distributing the ball. Last week against Atlanta, Liu twice did not pass at the right time, one of them on a break-away run by Mandy in the 75th minute.

If Pichon will be marked by a defender the whole time, this should open up seams not adequately defended zonally by the three other defenders. And it's a defense that underwhelms me. Three zonal defenders, and one of them's Skylar? I'm sure Mark is salivating at the thought of unleashing wingers down Skylar's way.

MF will be a force to reckon with. She's obviously not in awe of the big names. I think Mark has a game plan just for her.

If Pichon will be marked the whole time, I'm sure Mark has come up with a plan to take advantage of that. With the Charge in possession and controlling the run of play, they'll find the holes.

And Connors, if you have the ball within 20 yards of goal, just shoot.

Charge should win in regulation. OT is a crapshoot. Since the Charge already knew for weeks that they're in the playoffs, I hope they've been practicing PKs. The internationals should line up for these, as they're oblivious to the crowd noise. As for the rest, Pia, get them earplugs. Just in case.

7. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Cachundo details the reasoning why I like Liu at forward with Pichon playing deeper.

It's simply a question whether Liu starts or does NOT start.

Liu and Pichon can always switch too, adding more indecision to defensive roles.

And talking about winger play, Zhao is equally adept on right or left, and the Freedom need to account for her.

I still say Monroe is Mia's worst nightmare.

And I do agree just breathe on Mia will result in a foul, and that's what the DC fans are wishing for.

They realize they don't stand a chance with their 11, they need her reputation, and the gentle kindness of three alledgely impartial witnesses.

So if they want to arrange the match, it's nothing different from what I saw when Korea played.

You just gotta be 2 goals better than them.

The Charge have Pichon and Zhao, both are better than any single player DC has.

And defensively, Iverson has played exceptionally well against Wambach this year.

8. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    i would expect a korea attempt here...remember WUSA has done this before...remember the brandi and mia PK in the league opener, which led to the league's first goal...by pertiniah...then a very questionable FK call leading to the somewhat racist first AMERICAN goal by...mia.

just play smarter...dont give the ref any chance to screw around...at least kari stiez doesnt seem to be availible.

9. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Yes, but don't you think the league's credibility will take a hit, especially after something a lot closer to home, like the Sacramento/Lakers NBA Western finals and the stench that came from that?

Do they want Mia to get to the final at the expense of fairness and legitimacy? In fact, what do you all think will be the over-under on a Freedom dive in the 12 yard box tomorrow? I say 2 :rolleyes: :)

Paul

10. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    If morgan was dumb enough to gently persuade players to pose nude, shes dumb enough to f#$* with the refs i say!

11. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I have to say that Oliver Stone, Jerry Fletcher, and anyone associated with the Italian National Team would be very proud of you all. But boy do some of you need lives...

12. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    its all in good fun, when calls dont go your way make up theories...dcu i assure you that...and well mia has been able to wow the refs with some neat half gainers :)

as for the korea reference, it was more the 2nd red card against portugal that made me wonder...the out of bounds call was from a tough angle to call, just to clear the air about that one.

13. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    The Korea stuff, I saw first hand, so it's easy for a ref not to call stuff on a team, yet call the slightest of contact against anyone.

And Meier is no fool, he knew Korea needed at elast a point.

And this in NO way demeans the level of play of the Korean side, which was passionate.

The thing was, none of the Koreans were showing up for any NON-Korean match, and FIFA isn't stupid, keeping the Koreans in the torunament was a money wise need.

As to conspiracy, just look at the stock markets, and tell me conspiracies do not exist.

There's all sorts of corruption at all levels of power.

And finally, there appears to be an element of fear in the DC fans, the intelligent knowing they're not the best side overall.

Play the game and see who wins.

Some times the better team does, and some times not.

I'd say DC will get the marginal calls, calls most road sides never get.

Will it be enough??