Charge-CyberRays PBP...

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Charge!, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Just 12 more minutes until this shooting gallery closes up shop...They g-damned well better have the 'A' team out there Saturday night against SD...

2. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was wondering when McDowell might come in.

Well, there is a lot of chaos out there on the Charge's part. It is a very wide-open game. Looks like Alfiler keeps getting caught out of position. Hall has been absent most of the game.

Clemens and Fair's passes are just atrocious tonight. Worse than usual.

Beene has made two outstanding saves. Very athletic.

3. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Look at it this way...

At least there won't be a last-minute meltdown by us tonight.

McDowell in for Conners. 79th minute.

4. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    Goal by Katia. Again, poor marking. Alfiler should have put more pressure on the service and Hall lost Katia. Well, at least the rookies got to play the whole game. Hopefully, our team will get healthy and we'll see our starting four on Saturday.

5. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Goal, SJ. Katia. 83rd minute.

Too bad the CN8 blackout didn't last a little bit longer. Dorn for Pretinha, 85th minute.

6. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    In the words of Jim Rome....

Rack it. I'm outta here.

Potential points in last three games: Nine.
    Points acquired in last three games: One.

It's time to panic, folks.

But was anybody expecting anything different? Someone else want to do the [R] deal, fine by me.

7. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the final score?

8. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    Okay, so it was a bad second half...very chaotic game for the charge. I worry about the scoring since Pichon has gone out. Clemens is just not dangerous enough. Hope they figure stuff out. Anyway...

Let's put things in perspective. Like the announcer just said, 5 starters were out and the Charge play 3 games in 8 days...one on the left coast. In hindsight, I think it was good to rest players and not make players fly across the country.

Rest people and play your "A" team on Saturday. The Charge record is very good at home. So, the focus should be on winning on home turf on Saturday and clinching a playoff berth.

9. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
  10. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    Paul, don't get panicky. There are three games left. Two at home.

To be honest, I didn't think we'd win this one. San Jose is fighting for their playoff lives at home. We have two rookies on defense...I just thought it might come back to haunt us.

When looking at the schedule, I think Krikorian had this match in mind, for resting players, for a long time. Much like Adam predicted. Much like last year at San Jose.

DennisM asked if it bothered anyone. No, it doesn't bother me tonight. I understand what he's doing and I think it's smart.

11. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Bleep it, can't sleep just yet...

You can actually say that with a straight face after what we saw tonight? Hopefully the first question Coach K is asked at the post-match press conference is this:

"If you had to do it over, would you have had Iverson and Lihong in the lineup tonight?"

Paul

12. judymd

judymd New Member

nope, i'm not angry. i'm the eternal optomist on tihs board! i knew as soon as i saw the schedule in january that we would probably not try to win this game, so i'm not surprised. i would have been surprised if we had won.

the rays are hanging on for their lives. i was very happy that we kept it scoreless for a half. we played very tough the first half i think.

i have disagreed with some things coach has done over the year. i know though that overall, i could not do better. i don't know if anyone could. he got us to the playoffs last year. he'll get us there again this year.

and if we don't make the playoffs, oh well. its been fun. but remember, we still only have three losses on the season. last year at this time we had seven or eight. we are still in first place. too bad we can't seem to enjoy it, huh?

13. judymd

judymd New Member

Re: Bleep it, can't sleep just yet...

and i bet he'll say that he would do things just as he did. he's not stupid. he'll say he's looking at the bigger picture. we have another game on saturday against a team that we have had trouble with. fresh legs will come in handy for that.

14. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    It almost makes me wish that we had stumbled out of the gate to begin the season, and then come on down the stretch like Washington and Atlanta are doing now. They are not going to lie down, people. The past two weeks should tell you that.

Paul

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Ok, I missed the 1st 20 minutes, and the last 70 were about what I would expect.

You have to look at reasons for events.

All along, I pointed at San Jose as rest the players match.

How many other teams could have sat their best 5 players and performed adequately.

If you want to adopt a mindset, where you get wildly ecstatic over wins and suicidal over losses, then you'll be blinded by your emotions.

Save your emotions for cheering on Saturday.

GOAL:

make the playoffs...

any Charge win does that..

a Charge draw with San Jose does it..

a San Jose loss at Carolina does it.

I've got a lot of work to do, so I'll post about the match when I get a free moment.

16. judymd

judymd New Member

i can't believe that you would really rather be in the position of having to win all your games to get a playoff spot, with very little wiggle room, than to be where we are, where one more win puts us in the playoffs.

17. sebe

sebe New Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    This is so true. How many other coaches have the LUXURY or would be brave enough to sit their 5 best players. As J.T. (commentator) said last night, that's pretty much half the team. I say luxury because you never know when injury will hit a team. Good to come out of the gate strong, so you have the opportunity to rest players down the stretch.

Take five of the best players off of any team...for some, it would be complete disaster for them.

Atlanta and DC are in their good streak. THey are now healthy and playing with pretty much all their starters. So, our goal should be to get healthy so we can play with all our starters. Well, everyone but Smith.

It will be okay. Even if it isn't, we had fun. Enjoy yourself...we've seen great soccer this season and only had to watch three losses. I guess we've been spoiled.

18. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    So you'd rather be where the Charge were last year, and NOT where they are this year.

The Charge are in 1st place, which means they've played better soccer than anyone else.

They've put themselves in a good position.

As has Carolina.

Now the teams, like San Jose and Atlanta and Washington have greater urgency.

Their seasons depend on them playing extremely well.

The big question is can Carolina and the Charge regain top form.

And ask yourself the next question, have San Jose and Atlanta and Washington exhausted their good form, just to make the play-offs.

NO ONE can really answer those questions.

ONLY the play-offs themselves can.

I'd still maintain, the Charge have 3 matches to show what they did.

Ultimately the presence of Pichon makes a huge difference, because without her, no pure finisher exists.

Right now, I view the Charge as taking a deep breathe and plunging into the August run.

And I believe they will play exceptional soccer.

Whether or not it produces wins is up in the air, but I think ALARM is wrong.

You can ONLY cry WOLF so many times.

19. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Following up on Sebe's point, the Charge played well because they have the talent to play well.

Go back to Carolina match...

The Charge played exceptional soccer.

NY match saw a bad 10 minute stretch, which I attribute largely to thinking the match was over, and Milbrett saying it wasn't

Not seeing the Boston match, it is largely argued Boston played well, and was unlucky NOT to win.

Last night, San Jose had better of the play, but the Charge were NOT overwhelmed, every player out there showed they can play the game.

Sure the last 3 matches tested the Charge.

But adversity was needed.

You're NOT cakewalking to a title.

You need to earn it.

And my view is s little struggle makes you stronger.

And a little rest makes you stronger to.

Saturday is the key.

I expect a dominating performance.

But if NOT, it means diddly because ample time exists to regain form.

And as Sebe pointed out...

How can you NOT be satisifed with these woman?

Support them as loudly as you can on Saturday.

It will make a big difference to them, knowing we are behind them.

20. judymd

judymd New Member

amen adam! couldn't have said it better myself. these women have provided us with a very entertaining season. i hope they go all the way. i believe they can go all the way. but if they don't, and if they don't even make the semis, i will still cheer for them on my way out of the stadium. what a great run they have had.

to be able to overcome losing your most dangerous player. (can you imagine if ny lost milbrett)

to be able to win despite having your most prolific goal-scorer in and out of matches. (what if katia had been called out for national team duty?)

to stay in first place for almost the entire season.

to have a goalkeeper who has led the league in many categories throughout the season.

to have a defense second to none.

these players deserve our appreciation and praise. and so does the coach. they (the players and the coaches) are a team. i applaud them no matter what these last couple of weeks bring.

21. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    The tone hear sounds like a pending sense of doom.

Just because you fall down, doesn't mean it's over.

1972 Munich - Mens 10K final

skinny blood doped runner from Finland named Lasse Viren gets bumped and drops to the track and is 50 meters behind every one.

Gets up determinedly and chases, catches the group, kicks in the end, wins a gold medal, with a World record time ( Olympic record at least, but the stories better the other way)

Motto.......

Play hard and talent seeks it's level.

Charge will do just that.

22. judymd

judymd New Member

adam - i agree - i believe they will do what they need to do. i fully expect to be in atlanta watching our team on august 24th. i have my tickets, i have my hotel room. but no matter what happens, the entire team deserves our respect.

23. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I agree 100% about deserving respect.

I think you can say that about all of WUSA.

It's the style of play which I admire.

I've got a tape of the 1991 match between USA and Norway, and if you watch the technical level, all of WUSA is better than the level of 10 years ago.

And I believe we'll see this maturation for quite a long while.

Back to the Charge, some times thinking about something is the worst you can do.

Paralysis by analysis.

I don't believe the team is doing it, just we neurotic Charge fans, sorry Dwight and Scott, using yoiur moniker.

24. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    See CyberRays, Bay Area, 2001 for why I said that. 1-4-1 to begin the season, which morphed into 11-6-4. When you realize you don't have any mulligans left at this stage of the game, you play your absolute best soccer.

And the key word was 'almost'. :)

It'll take a bit to type, but hopefully once you read my next message it might be worth it.

Paul

25. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Stoppin' the insani, er, immaturity...

My first light bulb message icon, and it's no accident I chose that.

When it's knocking on the door of 100 degrees again, and with what's been written here today, I took a look at myself and did a virtual heave. I've been egregiously negative on here, and every chance I've gotten, I've not only accentuated the bad stuff, but became BigSoccer's chicken little in the process. The points I was trying to make got lost in the bluster, and today, it dawned on me that I was not being a very good moderator with my attitude.

We have had an enormous amount of hits on the postings in our forum, so even though our regulars may not number those of the other teams, the thoughts we express attract a crowd. Only in my case, it's to see one more example of a guy who's a candidate for a therapist's office.

For the past decade or so, I've been a glass half-empty kind of guy. Always looking at what might happen vs. the good that I do have. I also had during that same span, one heck of a problem with my girth, for lack of a better word. So I went on a diet, have lost 80+ pounds and I and my back feel better for it. Folks have come up to me and given me encouragement to keep up the good work. I thanked them for the comments, but it dawned on me.

For the past 2 months straight, in particular, I've been especially harsh on the Charge, with must-win this, and must-tie, that, and must-not-lose the other thing. Being someone, like Tiffeny Milbrett, who is honest about the things that are dear to oneself, I have been over-the-top. It's a fair guess to say that some of the Charge, the team which I cheer for without reserve or second thought, read this board. And some of it may get back to the players. I'd like to think of the Charge as an extended family, as I took a chance to be at the airport when they came home from Atlanta last August on a day we'd rather have never seen come. Imagine how they might feel, especially now, when they're hitting their toughest and roughest seas yet. As in bailing out on them when they need every fan they've got the most. "Not very much of a fan, is he?"

Damn straight you'd be right in that thinking.

That ends now.

It took a tag team of Adam, Michelle and Judy's thoughts today for me to realize that, like my now-prior weight problem, to continue in this vein unchecked would be to ensure an unhappy ending. The curse of raised expectations after what we were treated to last year got to me, and I flipped out, especially since the New York debacle. That would have sent any fan to the local watering hole :eek:

Rest assured I will not be a Flyer or Sixer (in particular Allen Iverson) or Eagle 'Stepford' fan. The Charge have the same injury problems out the wazoo which may torpedo any hope of a first-in-19-years pro sports title for this city now as before I had this epiphany. The second half last night was just as painful to watch now as then. We've got the WOOSA commish trying to hammer out a deal with F.F.F. to move the France-Denmark tilt back a day, because they know now (better now than on 8/18) the league will take a p.r. hit as well as the Charge's lineup if they get to the FCII final and the potential MVP is reduced to a cameo role, if at all. They know Atlanta and Washington are thundering down the stretch, while half our roster sat down, willingly or not.

Now is the time the team needs us as fans the most.

As moderator of this forum, it's time to lead by example. And time to close ranks behind Philly's best team. Let's just say NC won't be the only one with a cowbell in its section Saturday :D.

And the word 'must' coupled with anything else from my keyboard is now a memory. One point from a playoff, 5 from a home semifinal. The finish line is almost there. It's up to us to make that Atlanta game next Saturday completely meaningless for the midgy Beat in terms of home field.

It's been a great season. No other team in Philadelphia can come close to this carpet ride the Charge have been on. The other four franchises can learn from what Tim Murphy, Mark Krikorian and the team have weaved for us.

Sometimes you need to distinguish the forest from the trees and to smell the roses. Sorry for the length of this; I wrote it down as I thought about it.

Let's cheer them on as Melissa makes her old team regret one more time waiving her...

Paul