Charelston v. Puerto Rico pre/post match discussion (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, May 19, 2006.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I let dre do up his normally excellent prematch but should be another good match and hopefully the Batteyr can get a few wins under there belt early in the season and will use it as a cushion when the inevitable long road legs and injuries set in.

dont' forget you can watch it live on the net if your not there via the Charleston battery website.

mikey

2. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Why is it that Puerto Rico had so much roster turnover from last season? I realize that this is typical in USL-1 in general, but were all of the changes a reflection of greater ambition or just the result of the challenges of putting together a team with short-term contracts?

I am hoping that the Battery's combination of athleticism and skill will see them through this match. Hopefully Glinton and Hollingsworth can continue driving the team in the attacking third. It will be interesting to see how they respond to playing without Daley.

3. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    It's going to hurt without Daley, but we do have a deep midfield, and I'd be pretty comfortable with Luke Vercollone on the right and Stephen Armstrong on the left. We'll have to shift a bit more around to accomodate Shane Crawfords absence, but Fuller should be back now, and then Corcoran could move back to the left back spot. I've been wanting Armstrong to get a start, so this may be his shot!

4. dunga

dunga New Member

Feb 2, 2000
    Should be interesting to see Armstrong play more then 10-20 minutes at a time. Hope he does well if gets the minutes.

5. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Is this the same Stephen Armstrong (NZ International) who used to play for KC Wizards, DC United, Columbus Crew, etc?

How do ya'll think that Fuller and Glinton would work as a striking partnership?

6. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Yeah, same Armstrong. I much prefer Hollingsworth with him (although we're really playing a 4-5-1, everyone keeps saying he's our 2nd forward) b/c of his energy/mobility and he's been excellent in the air. Nothing against Fuller, but I'd hate to change what's been successful already!

7. dunga

dunga New Member

Feb 2, 2000
    Armstrong is actually born in England but raised in Cape Town, South Africa. I think he played Under-23 for South Africa.

8. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I think you are right. Don't know why I thought NZ.

9. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    yeah he is South African - I kinda skimmed over your post without really paying attention:eek: sorry!

10. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Any word on who's going to be missing besides Dusty, Omar, and Shane, and are Omar and Shane already gone? Seems a bit early to take off for a friendly....

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from the article I read, it sounded like Omar would be joining the team in England by the end of this week. Crawford by the 25th. the Jamaicans are playing Ghana as well before the England match.

Of course don't forget about Chris Gores last i spoke to him his recovery was doing well.

mikey

12. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Of course I wouldn't forget Chris - I'm just not asking about him b/c we know he won't be back for a while! Saw him at dinner in the pub last week - seemed to be getting on well

13. Cannon Ball

Cannon Ball New Member

May 15, 2006
    Realistically I don't see Chris Gore coming back before September. Just hoping that Brandon Curran is back this week and still have some energy after getting married last week, Lexus should be heathy enough to get some action tomorrow.
    I read in the newspaper that Fuller was going to weedding last week also, but I'm not sure that was his weeding or someone else.
    I agree that it's going to hurt when we don't have Omar Daley on the Right Wing ,but may be a chance for Steven Amstrong and Troy Lessene to prove themselves. I think it's going to be a good test to see how good and how deep we are this season.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a good match.

here is the preview form teh Battery

www.charlestonbattery.com

and the one from the Underground

should be more later

Ill got Battery-1, PR-0

15. carnellm

carnellm Soccer Dad

May 15, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Should be a beautiful night for a match. I just hope the work with the US MNT on Wednesday didn't have any adverse psychological effects! ;)

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good article in todays Post and courier about the teams speed

Speed Kills

17. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    It's gonna be a hot one tonight, boys! Supposed to be 91 and humid today - wish we were playing that it would effect more but I think Puerto Rico won't mind the heat. Hey Mikey, do you know how to make the roster thread a sticky?

18. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stephen Armstrong played for Columbus? LOL!

19. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I hope Omar and Crawford are not gone tonight when the Ghana game is not until the 29th. I got the impression they were reporting the 25th. Missing the two games vs. the apes is bad enough.

I thought Corcoran played brilliantly in defensive mid last week. Lexus should be about ready. Don't know if he can go the whole game. If Crawford is gone, Lazo, Brunt, Watson, Curran sound like a good back line with Lexus getting some break in time. Would like to see Corcoran Matteo and Ben in the middle and Gavin up top. Center seemed to work pretty well last week. Luke earned his stripes by getting 2 of the 3 goals started vs. Montreal and if Omar is not around, Armstrong deserves a start with his production in only 38 min of playing time.

Coach A has not called me yet today to go over his game plan, but I will tell him to work Armstrong in for more minutes if Omar is here, which I believe he is.

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

beats here in Germany, rainy, muddy, windy, cold. Not the best conditions for tents. And Im stuck in a military training area so I can't even get some good food. at least they have a German cantina on post that sells bitburger and Weissbeer.

as for the sticky, only Moderators can sticky them. Ill PM one to see if they can take care of it.

21. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only 81 right now, so it might not be so bad at game time.

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welcome aboard Mister Obvious.

wish I could be there.

give me a good run down of the match

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone have any matches updates? don't have the bandwith to watch and besides I think the firewall here is blocking streaming video

mikey

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Islanders are currently winning 1-0. Goal by Oehlman in the 22nd.

25. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    FT Charleston 0-1 Puerto Rico.

I heard we didn't play too well but a wins a win.