Chants thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Supporters Clubs' started by wcgcapone, Nov 8, 2004.

1. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of clubs have a version of that including Manchester United. West Virginia University has been doing it at football games since 1972. Not trying to be a jerk but if you think you invented using the tune you are mistaken. By the way, I've got no problem with people using similar tunes if they make them unique to the club through cleverly changing lyrics etc to make it relevant to their specific club. There is a long history of that in football. Some songs are just work well as chants. The songs are just the vehicle in my opinion. The creativity comes in other ways. I agree that every one needs to be more creative and ideally come up with entirely new tunes but it is a little funny how many fans think they "invented" something when other people have been doing it for years.

2. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    No, I'm not taking credit for it all. The original poster I'm referring to indicated that you guys wanted something that nobody else in MLS was doing, and I'm just letting you know that somebody else is already doing it.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the original poster, that wasn't really what I was going for. The original thread was talking about how there weren't enough team-specific songs, every using generic chants with the team name changed and such, and I was pointing out that some Rapids fans were working on a more team-specific song.

4. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fair enough. I agree with you 100% on that. Good luck the rest of the year with both your team and your supporters group. I hope to make an away trip up there in the next year or two. I plan on bringing some totally original chants with me as well so be on the look out:) Cheers.

5. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    Jasonma : yes you're right I misread the intention of your first post.

There's no question that virtually all football songs are derivative from one source or another, almost all of ours included.

I guess where I'm going is that many fans in MLS have been lamenting the fact that the songs across the league become stale pretty quick when a song / tune / chant that becomes popular in one MLS city suddenly emerges in another.

It just struck me as ironic that in a thread titled "Honestly, what gives with hijacking other songs?" - i.e. MLS SGs in different cities regurgitating the same material - you seemed to be suggesting that some supporters in Colorado were trying to do something fresh by turning Country Roads into a "team specific / official song" ... but that has been the Southsiders official anthem since 1999. I didn't know if you were aware of this fact. And if you were, I don't understand why you would want to continue pursuing it as your "official anthem" when it's already someone else's and has been for quite some time.

No harm or trolling intended. We're better as a league when the supporters groups all have strong identities, and I wish you guys all the best success on and off the pitch. The Southsiders will be more than happy to welcome you into our pubs and our stadium whenever you come to town. Cheers.

6. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your not gonna riot are you?

7. Oister

Oister Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Mile High
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    You make me feel alive Vancouver. Your the armpit of cascadia. Get your own John Combiner.

8. Ocho-AH

Ocho-AH New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hahahaha... ok now the last two posts are funny. Oh Vancouver, so funny.... Good luck to you though. Really.

9. craighwk

craighwk Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard anyone try to pawn it off as our official anthem but okay. :) It's just another chant we do.

10. Colorado Supporters

Aug 10, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have completely redesigned & rewritten the songs & chants section on our website.

Go to www.bulldogsupporters.com/chants

It's a work in progress but all comments appreciated.

11. craighwk

craighwk Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suggestions:

Build a Bonfire - Salt Lake should be in the middle. At least that's how we've been doing it.

Dirty Northern Bastards? Meh

I don't feel any of the proposed songs are worth looking at.

"I Believe" is cool if you enjoy promoting Utah sports.

I propose that Glory Glory Colorado should be modified to "We support the Rapids cheer them on to victory" since we can't do it right the other way. Ever.

Cut out the talking in Vinderloo (sic)? :p

Big f'in sigh.

12. Oister

Oister Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Mile High
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    El,
    I notice ' forever blowing bubbles' got left out, is there a reason for this???

13. Rich the Eagle

May 13, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes - the song is so linked with West Ham United it's kind of 'sacred'. Any other set of fans would be laughed out of town if they tried to take it.

Some of the BSG members (mostly West Ham fans) still enjoy singing it, but only down the Bulldog on Saturday mornings, not at Rapids games.

14. craighwk

craighwk Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's this for a chant?

‎"Goals" to the tune of "Girls" by the Beastie Boys
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_PNKah1ow"]YouTube - ‪Girls - Beastie Boys‬‏[/ame]
    --------------------------

La la la, la la la la la la la, la la la la la la la la, la la la la la la la la LA LA

Goals!
    ...all we really want is Goals!
    ...And in the morning it's Goals!
    ...'cause in the evening it's Goals!

Your keeper won't prevent
    the ball from hitting the back net
    That will always make us smile
    A Rapids goal will make us wild

(Capo) GOALS!
    (Terrace) To throw confetti

(Capo) GOALS!
    (Terrace) and shoot our cannon

(Capo) GOALS!
    (Terrace) to make us mental

(Capo) GOALS!
    (Terrace) and bring the cup home

(Everyone)GOALS! that's all we really want is

goals...GOALS,GOALS,GOALSGOALSGOALSGOALS!!!!!!!!!

15. Rich the Eagle

May 13, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have consulted Brian & confirm that Salt Lake is in the middle of the bonfire. You suggestion for the Glory Glory Colorado song is on the website. We await peoples comments...

'Vindaloo' & 'Dirty Northern B*stards' have all been sung & are in.

'I Believe' is now inextricably linked to the play-off run & championship. We did it before every game including in toronto before the final. I think that makes it our & there it is in.

I assume you want people to back your 'Goals' proposed song. If this is the case, perhaps a little bit of positive attitude as regards the other songs wouldn't go amiss?

16. craighwk

craighwk Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just suggestions. Not a plea, desire for backing, or anything. Just suggestions.

17. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    come on rich... now we need to politic for songs to make the freaking song list? really dude... if people dont like songs they should be able to voice there disapproval... as you say at the end of every email.
    walk the walk please

18. Rich the Eagle

May 13, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes we are open to comments but I think a blanket '[none] of the proposed songs are worth looking at' is a little bit negative. However I note Craig's latest reply & his subsequent comments.

The 'girls' song is going on the website as a proposal later today. That's why we did the website - it takes away all the names (politics?) etc. & just puts the songs, presented in the best possible light.

Myself & the rest of the BSG leadership are acutely aware of the chant issue & this is one of the steps we doing to improve it. We have been taking advice from our counterparts in other supporters groups around the league.

The basic message is that every BSG member needs to step up their game & one of the ways they need to do this is to go through the website & learn ALL the songs. This is likely to become a requirement for anybody who wants to be a capo, a bus captain, a drummer etc. in future.

We have loads of passengers on our buses, but we have far too many in the terraces.

19. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    amen brother i'd love to take a shot at the stand if yall give me the chance

20. Rich the Eagle

May 13, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well you won't get anywhere near it unless you learn the songs.

I'll be testing you on them!

21. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know you will haha

22. craighwk

craighwk Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to whoever toes I stepped on, but I didn't think any of the proposed chants are good. That's why I posted what I did because I know our chants need a lot of work and overhauling, so I was giving my opinion.

Same can probably be said for Goals. I may think it's clever and awesome and the best ever, but someone else may point out to me how horrible it is. I am not too proud to accept that it might suck, and if it does, I hope someone calls me out on it because I don't want to shove horrible chants down people's throats.

My $0.02

23. Rich the Eagle

May 13, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Right I think we should all agree not to say we simply 'don't like' a song. It gets us nowhere & also fails to take into account that songs can 'grow' on people as they hear them more. A constructive comments only policy would be good.

A chant is officially sh*t if you try to get a group of BSG people to sing it a few times & nobody joins in. As we always say, the members will decide...

24. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why cant there be a dialog...

25. Rich the Eagle

May 13, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jon - reread the post. 'Constructive comments'.

I would also like to put this thread in context. No chant has ever been launched just because a bunch of people on this thread agreed. Our chants & songs, like every other club, have developed through people singing them at games, in bars, on transit etc. 1 fan at the game is worth 10 online.

It's use is best suited for people to ask questions, find links to songs & suggest minor alterations - basically helping people be educated so they can be passionate supporters of the game!