Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-returns-Genk-Liverpool-Champions-League.html

'We have patience with the physically small players. Good feet and a good football mind are our priorities,' Koen Daerden, the academy's technical director previously told Canofootball.

'We have to develop players who can play in every system. The philosophies and principles stay the same. Whether we train 2 v 1s or in bigger games, players have to recognise when and where to move both with and without the ball.'

It was in one of these small sided games that de Bruyne made an instant impression in his first training session.

2. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Pretty impressive showing from the 08 Galaxy team.

3. ChicagoDad74

ChicagoDad74 New Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Not sure where to post this since I am new here and can't start a new thread until I have posted 10 times in existing threads. Anyway, my son was born in 2008 and has been playing rec soccer for years. He's a decent player and was actually invited to play on a local travel team here in the Chicago western suburbs recently. However, his main love is baseball. After finding out more about the travel soccer team it turns out that their spring season would severely interfere with his baseball season. The travel soccer team would expect him to attend soccer events over baseball events except in instances of soccer practices vs baseball games. Therefore we decided to decline the invitation. His travel baseball is pretty flexible and the only real conflict with other sports would be April through mid-July. The rest of the year they have practices but totally understand if the kids have other sports. So I am wondering if there are any soccer options for him that are more competitive than rec soccer but wouldn't severely interfere with his baseball season? Thanks in advance!

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    A lower level team on a travel club would hav no issue with this. Perhaps at this age you may get a decent team and coach.

Otherwise - use rec as an option and look around for opportunities to play futsal and other small sided options for spring - when you can fit them in between baseball activities.

He's young so no big deal but in the next 2 years if he aspires to play at a high level for either sport, he will likely have to pick one over the other.

5. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019

Look at a club like Bolingbrook, Windy City Rampage, Team Chicago 2nd team, and talk to the Director of Coaching to see what your options are. Games are all over the place as far as weekends and times. You have to discuss with the higher up to set expectations with the coach come tryout time.

6. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    They are #2 in YSR for their age group in Illinois and play an impressive skilled pressing style that works for their size and speed. It's a team that may be able to contend with their 07 team also.

7. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TC expects you to be at every game and practice even on the second team. Depending on your kids status with the coach will be the decision. Saw a girl miss weekly practice and another take winter off for another sport and suffer no consequences and another girl get benched for choosing a championship soccer game for her school over meaningless IWSL game.

8. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It is interesting how the same clubs seem to always rack up the titles each season in the presidents cup. I thought there was an incentive of state cup seeding the following year but that does not seem to be enough for them to make the jump to the big event. I was under the impression when Rush came into the market that they were going to be a threat to the bigger clubs but they seem happy competing at the presidents cup level. They have been very successful in that event nationally

9. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    TC with 5 teams at the State Cup Quarters 05 and older. Consistent performance between two coaches. Massive gap at younger ages.

10. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    TC and Chicago Inter are pretty strong clubs. I think Inter will be the king of the area eventually followed by TC/Galaxy. It may be interesting as well too see what happens with Sockers now that they have JJR down in Naperville coaching some of the girls teams which seem to be performing better then the Palatine PA teams. We'll have too see how their new GM works things out across all three locations.

11. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inters area doesn’t overlap much with TC and Galaxy.

12. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I would not agree. If I was local to Galaxy or TC then Inter is not a far drive. If the coaching is better and they are stacked at th elower ages, it's close enough to assume a top TC player could easily make the commute to a better Inter team.

13. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don’t see inter as a competitor to galaxy or tc. Galaxy is much better at the younger ages and tc seems to be the landing spot for a lot of high school players in a talent rich area. Coaching at all 3 is good so that is not going to have a huge impact. Inter and TC both have a strong track record of placing girls in D1 programs. I always assumed all those great galaxy girls at u8-u12 ended up at Sockers, Eclipse, tc or NSA.

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #2389 VolklP19, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    I was just speaking specifically in terms of location - not talent. On your points regarding talent, yes I agree. Part of that comes down to (a big part) the longevity and size of both Galaxy and TC when compared to Inter. I think Inter however is very female centric which is a nice option to have as they grow.

We had this discussion (touching on your high school comment) about clubs that are good for high school teams. TC is one of those, Campton has a decent track record and believe it or not Crystal Lake Force has had some decent success over the years with some of their high school teams.

15. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter practices at 355 and 163rd. Kids from Naperville and Aurora are not going to make that trek when clubs are closer and just as good. I live in the South Naperville and its at least a 40 min trip.

16. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    You are right. I'm not going there. I'm also not a fan of how they play, results not withstanding. Kudos to their success however at 05/06

lncolnpk repped this.
  17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I've driven much further for years. Then again I dont live in a hot bed of girls soccer.

18. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Can anyone fill me in on how Eclipse is doing in OB at the 06,07 ages this year. Any shakeups based on NB and coaches etc.

I see the 07 team is performing better than last year. Any insight would be appreciated as I need to look at things for the near future.

19. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    My opinion FWIW not sure you want to make any decisions based on performance at U13. Top performance factor at U13? Physical maturation/athletic profile. Impact players are generally the early developers in those respects. One player can be the difference in wins and losses. In 5 years when the player is at the end of their youth pathway things will be significantly different. Personally I'd consider this "formula": the qualities of the coaches now as well as the future coaches + training frequency + opportunities offered by the club + level of the other players in her team or pool + college placement history. In that order. All said its your decision this is just my two cents. Best of luck in your search.

Hearing that although TC is having a "successful" year they're also beginning to lose players. Have heard from more than one person that playing Sporting Iowa in the MRL and getting to State Cup quarters isn't enough to make up for the fact that the coaches are a-holes. Everyone celebrates PN but there's a reason he didn't make it in Cincinnati. The landscape is changing. Good coaches don't have to cuss at kids.

Interesting bit: A local girls DA using more players from another club as PT/fillers than players from their own club. 10 players. Thought they were called FCU not NCU? ;)
    http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/team.aspx?TeamID=802911 http://untd.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=12100620

20. Iniesta62106

Iniesta62106 Member

Sep 17, 2018
    What is most important to you?

21. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    If anyone has been through it, is it worth it to move at u14 or wait. Kid can take the verbal heat and competition. Let's say TC is not a desired option later and no idea if current club can elevate to TC level at later ages. PN or DL there are not a concern to me for certain reasons.

Current situation hits a lot of the formula Gotsoccerisdumb mentioned.

Can stay put at a top YSR team or move to Eclipse. Been evaluated prior. Not a cost concern also. Kid is fine with either direction which is her decision and most important. Development still is important which she is getting now. Do they develop soccer skills at Eclipse at u14? Or is it an all star team where you are on your own. Two practices a week? Has anyone at 07 improved from last year?

Is the higher platform at 07 still worth it now? No one seems to have the right answer probably because everyone's experience is different. I'm glad my kid doesn't stress about any of this,lol.

22. Toe Poke

Toe Poke Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Dec 11, 2018
    Eclipse doesn't develop soccer skills. They recruit, practice 2x per week, then see what happens on the field. You are on your own for development. If you are looking at DA / ECNL level and also want the training I would look at Sockers. They are committed to training 4x / week once you hit DA age and will train on the weekend if there is no game vs with eclipse you get the weekend off. But I'm sure others will have a view on this.

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I agree. at the DA level for sure.

24. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    = SOCKERS FC ! :D:D:D

I've been at Olympic 4 days a week for 3 months. Drinkin the kool Aid

25. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    We've all drank that Kool-Aid. You might have fruit punch and I had grape. Still Kool-Aid. lol