Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. WI Soccer Dad

WI Soccer Dad Member

May 2, 2022
    Certainly lots of good points here.

All I've heard is what is in that post. Also, the ECNL podcast, which I have not listened to did two full episodes in this topic basically and it ended with the president (Christian) saying cryptically to stay tuned for news.

I'm gathering putting two and two together, that this is a US Club Soccer move only, coming into effect in 2025. I'm hoping next fall (25) that our coach/director let's the girls ride out out with their current team since they will be juniors but they do have four 09 younger girls and they've been together for so long now.

2. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Clubs tried that before when the switch was made. It did not work out well for many. Strong 07/08 girls teams struggled when their 08 girls that were born in May-July were competing against girls that were born in January of 07. Especially when they were u9-u11. Probably less of an issue with high school girls.

3. Soccer_willow

Soccer_willow Member

Southampton
    United States
    Jun 7, 2023
    I listened to both of Podcasts on this topic and you are right he basically said the ECNL was working with US Club Soccer currently to make the change for Fall 2025.

SouthwestSoccer107 repped this.
  4. blackandwhitesphere

United States
    Apr 28, 2019
    I remember the chaos this caused years ago when they changed to birth years! I think my daughter might have been entering U12 at the time. Glad she will be on to college next year.

With that being said, I feel the birth year change was to her recruiting advantage (she’s a 2025/late 2006). Playing with 2006 2024’s, she was able to be seen a full year before her recruiting cycle.

WI Soccer Dad repped this.
  5. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Chicago Fire Juniors hasn't existed in at least two years. And the Chicago Fire Youth Soccer Club and the Chicago Fire Academy are two different entities.

Pete. repped this.
  6. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    #7531 RandomSoccerFan, Jul 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
    Sure - but the teams that are being rated, and show up to calculate an individual team rating/ranking and a club rating/ranking, had to have recent results within the last ~6 months or so or the team would drop off anyway. In this case, all that needs to happen is for the club (or clubs) to realize that they want to be shown more accurately, and to send a note to support for the club entity to be renamed, as well as putting any teams into the right club (if there are more than one), if they feel that they are miscategorized.

In this case, it looks like teams registered as CFYSC in the most recent events are being called Chicago Fire Juniors City - while the club entity in the DB should be renamed Chicago Fire Youth Soccer Club.

Chicago Fire (the MLS club) doesn't show up in the club rankings at all, as it doesn't have 5 or more teams from 2013-2007; it only has older MLS teams (and they are the #1 boys team rated in SR in IL for 06/05, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 - but they do not show a 2008 team). If they showed a 2008 team, or a 2012 or 2013 team, that club would show up as its own entity, likely rated highly.

This is the same issue for quite a few MLS clubs, which only have 3 or 4 very competitive older teams but have no youngers. From a team ranking standpoint, they often show as having one of if not the strongest teams in the state by age level, but they don't have enough teams to rank as a full-service club. Obviously there are a million different ways to rank club strength, all of them defensible, and if they ranked just by the 3 top teams instead of 7 top teams, club rankings would show differently.

Below is one of the CFYSC teams, you can see how they register themselves in league & tournament play within the data sources.

cf1.jpg cf2.jpg cf6.jpg cf3.jpg cf5.jpg

7. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    Looks like it has been updated:

il club pic.png

il clubs boys.jpg il clubs girls.jpg

8. Reluctant soccer parent

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 3, 2024
    Posting for the first time to say that on the boys side, Illinois Elite is the umbrella for JaHbat FC, a smaller club based in Evanston. Coaches are top notch, and players tend to be highly technical. The teams play possession, similar to Magic. However I don’t think they field teams at all age groups at the high school level. They routinely send players to academies. E.g., five of the members of their 2010 NPL boys team just left for Chicago Fire or Kansas City academy teams.

DontMissTheDrama and Leftydad repped this.
  9. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    Makes sense. It looks like their JaHbat teams are top in club for the 2014, 2010, and 06/05 ages; while their teams from Bloomington and Chicago show top in club for the other ages.

10. Neko975

Neko975 Member

Red Star
    Serbia
    Jul 4, 2018
    Jahbat 07 plays at the NPL finals in Denver.
    They will play in the quarterfinals after 3 wins in their group...
    Other team from Illinois was Sockers, they performed well, 2 wins and one loss, I believe they did not advance because of the goal differential..

11. Neko975

Neko975 Member

Red Star
    Serbia
    Jul 4, 2018
    I've had no idea how difficult is to attract attention to your player unless he plays fir MLS next or top ECNL teams..

Leftydad and Pete. repped this.
  12. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    Yep, JaHbat 07 looks to be doing quite well! They have upset the Dallas Texans FTW, Baton Rouge, and Richmond Kickers so far (ranked #707, #309, and #418 nationally via SR), while coming into these playoffs ranked #1226 in the country. They will face Palo Alto on July 12th, who are #329 in the country and would be expected to win by ~3 goals. With any luck, they can continue the win streak a few more games and really surprise some folks in Denver. For reference, Sockers are #117 in the country, and would be expected to beat JaHbat by 4 goals - yet they aren't moving on, while JaHbat's results allow them to continue.

JaHbat.png

13. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    JaHbat 07 is also not the only team from IL to do quite well in these finals so far. Just on the boys side:

Illinois Elite BLFC Premiership 11B went 3-0, and will be in the quarterfinals.
    Illinois Magic FC 10B went 2-0-1, and will be in the quarterfinals.
    Illinois Elite Bloomingdale Lightning 09B went 2-0-1, and will be in the quarterfinals.
    Illinois Elite Chicago Lightning 08B went 3-0, and will be in the quarterfinals.
    Evolution SC 08 Boys Mercurial went 3-0, and will be in the quarterfinals.
    Gremio Futbol Club Chicago 2007 went 3-0, and will be in the quarterfinals.
    Sockers FC NPL 1 (U19) went 3-0, and will be in the quarterfinals.

The first girls games are tomorrow, and several IL teams are in contention.

14. Neko975

Neko975 Member

Red Star
    Serbia
    Jul 4, 2018
    Yes,
    I just wanted to say that Jahbat does well with older age groups, as well as the younger ones...
    It will be interesting to follow the rest of the tournament, I am quite familiar with all Elite teams as well as Magic..

15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So Magic is looking at higher positions than the FCU Boys?

Wonder how 3Step feels about that? Does it matter? Will FCU eventually get these players or will FCU top players start looking to head over to Magic?

upload_2024-7-11_10-21-19.png

16. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    Magic has ECNL on the boys side, FCU has MLS N. Head-to-head, Magic teams are predicted to be ever so slightly stronger, but it's a toss up. Many would choose to compete on a weaker MLS N team than a stronger ECNL one, if everything else was equal.

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Color me confused a bit. Just looked at the coaches and nothing really stands out as for as coaching experience. What's the secret sauce?

18. Leftydad

Leftydad Member

Manchester United
    France
    Mar 20, 2021
    Jahbat isn't really wrapped up in the licenses I believe. My kid played with them a couple of times and gone against them as well. If they weren't so far away... :)

19. Neko975

Neko975 Member

Red Star
    Serbia
    Jul 4, 2018
    I personally know only one of the Jamaican brothers that our running this club.
    We were coaches of opposing team both of us having kids in them.
    They both made Fire academy u13 when they were one year younger, so I got to know him as a parent, as well..
    Most of the US soccer is influenced by the British coaches and style of play, he is not that way..
    His teams are technical and smart, he incorporates a lot of Futsal, especially for the younger kids.
    Location is not great, a lot of big clubs around them (FCU, Fire Juniors etc) and he is still able to have strong teams at all age groups

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    No I was not looking at licenses - just past experience with other clubs. They all seem to come from community-based clubs that have never grown beyond IWLS or YSSL. So that's what I found odd.

Leftydad repped this.
  21. Reluctant soccer parent

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 3, 2024
    Yes. I’m not a coach so I can’t speak to their success in that regard, but I have seen several of their teams defeat kick-and-rush style teams that have larger and faster players through their emphasis on technique and possession. Fun to watch. I’m rooting for all the Illinois teams in Denver today!

Leftydad repped this.
  22. WI Soccer Dad

WI Soccer Dad Member

May 2, 2022
    National finals update for all the Chicago area squads.

In the Girls Academy the Galaxy girls lost in their respective age groups in the quarter finals to Nationals. Tough luck on the draw for the 08s and 09s.

FC United won their quarter final matchup for the 09s and will play in the semis today.

In the ECNL the youngers lost in the quarter finals. While the 09s won in the quarter finals on PKs but lost yesterday to a crazy good Kansas City team 3-2.

I've personally seen both of these teams up close and personal and watched them beat the hell out of kids team. For my money I thought Eclipse and KC were the two best teams in the Midwest with SLSG being a easy 3rd.

Forgive me if I missed anything, I didn't do a deep dive into every age group.

RandomSoccerFan and VolklP19 repped this.
  23. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    JaHbat 07 beat Palo Alto 3-0, and will move on.
    Gremio FC 07 beat Titans 2-1, and will move on.
    Evolution 08 Mercurial beat Nevada Rush 1-0, and will move on.
    Illinois Elite 08 lost to Charleston 1-2.
    Illinois Magic FC 10B beat Folsom Lake 4-0, and will move on.
    Illinois Elite BLFC Premiership 11B beat Mid Cities Tejanos 6-0, and will move on.

Some games look like they are still to be posted today.

(schedule link)

24. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    JaHbat 07 will face Minn United 07 Academy in the semifinals, who are currently showing #645. JaHbat 07's 3 upset wins in a row already have them up to #587 in the country, and they are favored to win over Minn United 2-1. (and it looks like the Palo Alto win hasn't been included yet, so they'd expect to show even stronger)

25. Neko975

Neko975 Member

Red Star
    Serbia
    Jul 4, 2018
    Illinois Elite 11 is a fantastic group of kids,
    Probably their flagship team at the moment.
    Don't forget Illinois Magic, I am really impressed with coach Tyler.
    My son is guest playing with Jahbat on this tournament under the Elite umbrella.
    Other then rankings, them winning is not surprising to me.
    Gremio is very strong in this tournament, it may be Illinois finals in Denver

Leftydad repped this.