Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    My perception is that a good chunk of monied talent in Chicago is concentrated on the north side. That leads to many going to Fire (name brand), with facilities on Talman and Addison. But it also means that there are a number of clubs on the north side, but also those families are maybe within striking distance of being able to join some of the suburban teams. If one looks at the west side or the south side, the number of teams and their quality seems to drop off. As a south sider, I can't think of any big clubs outside of KICS and Chicago City that have outposts near here. Otherwise I have to commute to Indiana (Indiana Elite) or Orland Park (Southland United, and they're only big in that they combine with Plainfield United, as two former Chicago Fire Juniors teams), or far west to Naperville. Vernon Hills and Schaumburg and even Talman are more than 1.25 hours in rush hour traffic, which just isn't sustainable day after day. So yeah, I'm hoping that City gets some facilities somewhere accessible. And as for coach turnover, that seems to be a bit of a new thing. When I was looking at the club four years ago, many if not most of their coaches had been with them for a number of years. I don't know many of the coaches today, but I know that TM is ambitious and wants to be coaching at the professional levels. One cannot fault him for that.

2. TinyClub

TinyClub Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Evolution is suing Kieran Howarth, Galaxy Soccer Club and Brett Strang (DuPage County case 2024 CH 34).

3. bluechicago

bluechicago Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's 43, not 34.

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
  5. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    Certainly not a good sign, but I guess there are certainly possibilities where the wordpress site sh*t the bed but it isn't necessarily financially related. They had both boys and girls teams playing the ECNL events in Dallas and Florida this month.

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah for sure - WordPress is garbage - sort of surprised they use that. Even our Rec Council is on a more advanced platform.

7. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    Site is back up.

VolklP19 repped this.
  8. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Is there a link? Tried to search on the website but could not find the case.

9. soccerdad84

soccerdad84 New Member

Feb 18, 2024
    Chicago Suburbs
  10. DadYoureSuchADork

Manchester City
    United States
    May 1, 2020
    Apparently… Evo tried to get a restraining order against Galaxy to prevent them from hiring any coach or signing any player who has been with Evo within the last 6 months.

It was denied.

ThePeekly1 repped this.
  11. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Rumor has it they were trying to make staff sign non-compete contracts prior to the spring season that would prevent them from going elsewhere for 6 months or a year.

12. ChiSoccerMom

ChiSoccerMom New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Oct 31, 2023
    This is on ECNL. Fallout of letting Eclipse have a monopoly for years. Even now still having a badge without the ability to populate a regional roster that doesn’t mirror the ECNL roster.

TinyClub repped this.
  13. soccerdad84

soccerdad84 New Member

Feb 18, 2024
    Chicago Suburbs
    Evolution Soccer Club Accuses Former Director of Attempted Takeover, Cites Pattern of Targeting

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in DuPage County Circuit Court, Evolution Soccer Club, Evolution Soccer Academy, and their founder Michael Newell allege a coordinated effort by former director Kieran Howarth and others to seize control of the organization. The lawsuit names Howarth, Galaxy Soccer Club, Brett Strang, Bunnyray Larmond, Elizabeth Kelly, and Lesley Klaiber as defendants.

The central allegation revolves around Howarth's alleged attempt to orchestrate a merger between Evolution and Galaxy Soccer Club, a rival organization, without the knowledge or consent of Evolution's board or membership. However, the lawsuit goes beyond this singular attempt, revealing a wider pattern of behavior, according to the document.

Multiple Clubs Targeted:

The lawsuit details that Howarth allegedly explored similar mergers with Sockers FC and Eclipse, two other local clubs, in addition to Galaxy. This suggests a potential systematic effort to gain control of a larger soccer organization, raising concerns about Howarth's motives and methods.

Collaboration and Manipulation:

The document alleges Howarth collaborated with individuals within each targeted organization, including Strang at Galaxy, to push for unauthorized mergers. The lawsuit further details how Howarth allegedly recruited coaches at Evolution to pressure the board into approving the merger, potentially utilizing manipulative tactics to sway their opinions.

Disinformation and Discord:

The lawsuit accuses Howarth of spreading false information about Evolution's financial health and fostering dissent among coaches. This alleged tactic of sowing discord within the organization could have weakened Evolution from within, potentially making it more susceptible to outside influence.

Misrepresentation and Theft:

The document alleges that Howarth misrepresented himself as an owner of Evolution and made demonstrably false statements to third parties regarding the club's finances. Additionally, the lawsuit claims that Howarth took a club-issued phone he was using for work purposes.

Seeking Relief and Answers:

Evolution is seeking injunctive relief to prevent the defendants from further interfering with their operations and monetary damages to compensate for the alleged harm caused. The legal battle is likely to have a significant impact on the organization and its members, raising questions about the ethics of Howarth's alleged actions and the potential impact on the local youth soccer landscape if the claims are proven true.

SouthwestSoccer107 repped this.
  14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
  15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I'm not sure if that lawsuit is really a good look for Evo. Frankly I would not be surprised if the un-rest sends top players elsewhere. I think the best effort would be termination altogether and then ley KH just fester in his own shit. Well... both parties may be festering in it at this point.

Mention of Sockers... Unless Sockers were desperate, I highly doubt they would jump back into multiple locations again. Few clubs have been able to do that well and they certainly tanked it with Crystal Lake and Naperville.

16. Soccer_willow

Soccer_willow Member

Southampton
    United States
    Jun 7, 2023
  17. The Big Lewandowski

The Big Lewandowski New Member

Arsenal
    Croatia
    Sep 19, 2022
    I received a text about a statement sent out by Galaxy that the court threw out the case basically after a hearing.

18. soccerdad84

soccerdad84 New Member

Feb 18, 2024
    Chicago Suburbs
    Case still shows as active in the Circuit court system. Has a trial date of June 25th.

Attached Files:

19. SouthwestSoccer107

Fire
    United States
    Oct 15, 2023
    I think the court only refused to implement the restraining order, that tried to limit player and coach movement . The actual lawsuit will probably drag on for a long time.

20. WI Soccer Dad

WI Soccer Dad Member

May 2, 2022
    Heard this was in the works while we were down in Dallas. Apparently he's heading back to Ireland (I think it was Ireland).

He wasn't pleased with Eclipse for multiple reasons, but primarily it was because Eclipse didn't do a good enough job supporting him and his reputation when all the Rory stuff came out. This is all passed down so it's 3rd, 4th, and 5th hand knowledge.

And man, that Evo and Galaxy story is a wild ride. Fun to watch from a distance.... Probably not as much fun for the Naperville folks. This stuff is crazy. Just hope the girls make it out unscathed by all of this.

21. Soccer_willow

Soccer_willow Member

Southampton
    United States
    Jun 7, 2023
    The Eclipse website is down again

Attached Files:

22. soccerdad84

soccerdad84 New Member

Feb 18, 2024
    Chicago Suburbs
    They moved their DNS to Squarespace, but the new site isn't published yet. No more Wordpress.

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Top shelf intel right there :thumbsup:

24. The Big Lewandowski

The Big Lewandowski New Member

Arsenal
    Croatia
    Sep 19, 2022
    Big Announcement yesterday on Windy City Rampage and Eclipse merging.

25. TinyClub

TinyClub Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Eclipse website is now up showing merger announcement.