Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Half sarcasm:)

2. chicagosoccerparent

Leeds
    United States
    Dec 1, 2022
    Close to being silly season with spring starting, tryouts and all the fun that goes along with that.

Anyone hearing anything with regards to Chicago teams/clubs besides the normal noise? Doubtful that anyone is getting a full ECNL National spot as long as he who shall not be coaching anymore is still around... but who knows. All the Chicagoland clubs fighting for spots seem to be pretty close when it comes to wins/losses and divisions won or in contention for. GA going to expand in our area?

3. #15Parent

#15Parent New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Feb 13, 2023
    Hi all - sorry to tag on to this thread but I’m new here and I’ve been avid reader of this thread for a while as we used to live in the Chicago area and moved abroad for what was supposed to be a few years. Thinking my girls would be back and have to navigate this club scene I’ve tried to learn from the experiences of people here.

It turns out that we will be finally be moving back to the US, but not to Chicago, but Minneapolis. As you all in Chicagoland might have some insight into the higher level Minnesota clubs like MTA, Tonka Elite, and Salvo I thought I would ask about how these clubs are run, coaching styles, etc. I have a ’07 daughter who currently plays for an academy club here in the UK and has been pursuing US college recruitment already.

Any advice for someone coming in from the outside to navigate the dreaded tryouts over the summer? Thank you!

4. Souther40/55

Souther40/55 New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Oct 4, 2022

5. WI Soccer Dad

WI Soccer Dad Member

May 2, 2022
    From what I've heard up here especially in speaking to parents of the RL teams in Chicago. There is supposedly a very good chance that at least one more club between Libertyville, Evolution, and Chicago Inter will go ECNL next year. All of those parents have seemingly been told the same thing, win the Regional League and you have a shot.

Haven't heard anything about GA expanding in Chicago. And while I know it's not Chicago, up here at FC Wisconsin, the president is leaving his post and moving out west. For those who didn't know, the club president is the same person who created the ECNL. He's been so inactive for the past couple of years though (too busy with ECNL stuff), this will not make a different for my daughter at all.

6. WI Soccer Dad

WI Soccer Dad Member

May 2, 2022
    Just try them all. All practices will be free. With no affiliation, you can go to multiple clubs multiple days to get a feel. Minneapolis thunder is a proper powerhouse of a program. But again, just try them all. If I had to rank.... Thunder, Tonka are the only two I'd start with. I've heard pretty shitty things about salvo and Minnesota eclipse. Good luck.

7. RandomSoccerFan

United States
    Sep 11, 2022
    Looks like you have the right list together already to consider. Here are Minnesota's top clubs (G), and the top 07G teams. Thunder as a club looks to be a full 2 goals stronger than Tonka Fusion Elite in 2nd. (Compared to IL for example, where the top 3 clubs are within 0.1 goals of each other). In 07G specifically, Thunder shows 2 of the top 5 teams in the state. Good luck with tryouts!

Minnesota clubs.jpg Minnesota teams.jpg

8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Chicago Inter take over Eclipse North - You heard it here first :D

9. #15Parent

#15Parent New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Feb 13, 2023
    Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate your perspective and will certainly start with those two. Unfortunately we won't be able to attend practices as we will arrive just before tryouts, so it won't give us much time to get to know the program or coach, or conversely to be known and evaluated.

Many thanks for the information! It's really good to know how they compare. As for best positioning her for tryouts should we/she be sending an introduction and highlights to the club director and/or '07 coach like one would send to college coaches?

I appreciate all the input. It a bit daunting to come in cold to this environment her junior year but hopefully we can gather enough information to make it as smooth as possible.

10. soccergissmo

soccergissmo New Member

Jul 20, 2021
    Heard same info. Inter getting full ECNL badge. Eclipse losing North ( with many other number 2 teams around nation).
    Additionally Galaxy will play GA, what could be disaster for Evolution.

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Naw - USYS will set up a special Ultimate Club vs Ultimate Club for Evo.

12. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Have to think a lot of Eclipse’s bench and second team talent from the western and southern suburbs will be heading to Inter and Galaxy.

13. Concerned

Concerned Member

Fire
    France
    Jun 30, 2018
    Heard Eclipse also looking for a new home, no longer in NB after the coming Spring season. JS no longer going to be with them

14. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nothing new for them. They tend to stay in a location for 3-5 years and then move on.

15. SoccerNet101

SoccerNet101 Member

Feb 9, 2022
    I actually heard the opposite. They are looking at the north as their permanent home, in discussions for a more permanent indoor space near Techne at the new dome at Willow Hill.

16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Heard that Bears signed the deal for Arlington Race Park. One has to think that Soccer City will be in the cross hairs. If not - I see no chance on anything happening there on Bears game days or any other events that happen - even if they widen the road.

So it may not just be Eclipse looking for a new home either.

17. Concerned

Concerned Member

Fire
    France
    Jun 30, 2018
    They were offered space at the Willow Hill place but turned it down. Can’t see them getting access to Techney without JS and Spartans being on board with them.

18. DontMissTheDrama

DontMissTheDrama New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 18, 2019
    What's going on with Spartans? They partnered with Glenview, then FC United, then Eclipse for their older kids and now what? They intermittently have some really good players. Is JS still running things?

19. Concerned

Concerned Member

Fire
    France
    Jun 30, 2018
    According to their website JS is the DOC

20. blackandwhitesphere

United States
    Apr 28, 2019
    If Inter gets ECNL and Galaxy goes GA, Eclipses 2nd/north team will not make those teams.

21. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I did say bench players too but there are some good players on some of the eclipse second teams that are better than some of the current players on Inter. It will be interesting to see how Inter handles the influx of talent. Will the prefer longtime/loyal players or discard them for new talent? Also the GA typically plays through the spring so that could be a challenge for Galaxy as their players usually are loyal to high school soccer.

VolklP19 repped this.
  22. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Well if this happens, it's good news for the top but USYS need to clean house and dump 64 and Club v Club - go back to focus on MWC. There are not enough "top" teams after GA/ECNL to support all their bullshit exclusive club-based leagues.

23. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    There probably will still be a couple clubs that could compete at that level in Evolution, FC 1974 and FCU Pre-Academy.

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    *Some good teams but also many bad teams - which ist the problem with these "club" based leagues. They should just move them all back to Prem 1 and Prem 2.

smontrose repped this.
  25. bluechicago

bluechicago Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Should" be a straight up pyramid where everything is earned or lost, but we all know that will NEVER happen.