Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. blackandwhitesphere

United States
    Apr 28, 2019
    Heard that a few months ago
    I have a daughter that plays soccer and son's that play other sports. We have had really tough coaches and some not so tough coaches. There is yelling. There could be screaming and swearing. I've been on teams were parents wanted more yelling and accountability. But it's the manipulation and emotional damage that is the difference. My daughter thought about going to Eclipse when she was 12 or 13. I think NK was the coach back then for the first year ECNL girls. The rumor was the coaches were taunting and disrespectful to 12 year olds. This was fat shaming, name calling, and emotional manipulation. There was no way that was going to happen to my daughter. I never wanted a coach to extinguish her love of the game. I thought maybe as she got older we would reconsider, but so glad we didn't. I understand when you say that the sexual component was a small factor in bringing down RD, but it's the biggest and most detrimental component to these young girls, in my opinion. I can't believe these parents are still supporting a sexual groomer and predator. So when we compare coaches, yes some can be extremely hard, but because of the sexual manipulation, RD is in a class all by himself.

VolklP19 repped this.
  2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Donkey parents! We played Libertyville HS Pre-Season and there was a mom with an awful orange spray on tan and a giant Eclipse coaches jacket on... Get a life already!

CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  3. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    I'll go ahead and blame you for the fact that I'm going to have to stifle laughter as I hear someone yelling "donkey parents!" in my head every time my son lines up against certain clubs and schools that shall remain unnamed. ;-)

4. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GROOMING. Nailed it. Sad but not surprising. Why are any parents supporting this club currently???

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    DONKEY PARENTS!

Fuegofan repped this.
  6. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The only reason has to be the monopoly on the positions in the highest level of competition. ECNL is the best and people are willing to turn a blind eye because they believe it is the pathway to a scholarship for their kid. Similar stuff has happened in AAA hockey, AAU basketball and individual sports for years and those sports have other options. Years ago something happened with the academy coaching staff at the Fire. It was nothing similar to the behavior at the eclipse but changes were made to the staff. The entire team left the MLS club to go to one of the other academy options. The perception is that the GA is inferior so most of the girls are staying at the Eclipse despite the disgusting behavior.

7. RealChicago

RealChicago Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    The parents that support these clubs and these cowardly ass coaches are half the problem. No one gives a ******** if you play in the ECNL or whatever you wanna rep. Have some ********ing integrity. At least for your own children.

8. SoccerNet101

SoccerNet101 Member

Feb 9, 2022
    It’s unfortunate that those perceptions exists. GA teams have lots of college athletes sourcing from them…FCU has been having a great streak lately providing by National Team call ups and D1 college offers. Some of their older GA teams are stronger than the ECNL teams in the area. But ECNL has the national status that GA can’t compete with yet. Granted it’s only two years old and we see that everything in youth sports seems to change in any two year period.

9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Whatever happened to Chicago Empire... Heard some rumblings that they would get an ECNL or "R" badge at least... Too close to Eclipse?

10. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Raptors ECNL Update...

They are partnering with Inferno to get players http://chicagoinferno.net/

Also hearing that half an existing team (a very good team IMO) will be trying out for their 05 ECNL team.

I cannot say who because there is a sneaky little **** who lurks here and will run to the DOC and give the game away.

Also just saw that Magic is now an ECNL boys location.

11. Soccer1310

Soccer1310 New Member

May 11, 2020
    On the girls side (hs age)… Wondering if anyone knows about the fallout from RD and Eclipse. I’ve heard that they had tryouts and extended offers. Were those well attended? Anyone know if they’ve lost a lot of players? What about Raptors ECNL tryouts. Have those finished and have offers been extended for those teams? What about FCU and Sockers (academy)? Just curious if the new ECNL location and the issues with RD are having any impact on the area.

12. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I would imagine (because I don't know), that the average number of girls trying out for a 34 rostered team at the Eclipse has decreases a bit as a result of the abuse news. Most parents however are blind to the realities of youth sports or even worse, accept the abuse for what it is for greater glory. I think the ECNL and Eclipse burried the abuse perfectly - congrats to them because now all future claims can legally be placed at the ECNL door I imagine.

That said my guess is that FCU gets the largest bump in try outs. Had a conversation with another dad thinking of looking there and I stated that if the numbers are right - your kid may not even make the second team. They (FCU) for sure will get the bulk of talent - best talent, not likely but enough to really get the club invested and slowing moving to the top.

Sockers have the fewest teams on the girls side - something I predicted in 2015 and stated over and over again to one of our past members who has mysteriously dissapeared after changing jobs? They (Sockers) will have some of the top teams with DR and AG but also BH working that program. Rebuilding the bottom end lacks resources and I am not sure we'll ever see 3-4 teams or even 2 teams at most age groups there - frankly I think those days are long gone because there are other competitive clubs out there for younger play on the girls side who do a WAY better job and that's been the case since the club took the girls out of the NISL.

Raptors are recruiting heavily... They are making relationships with other clubs to offer their higher level of play and like I said - they are nabbing half of one of the best 05 teams in Illinois - at least one of the deepest in terms of talent. That group alone with the right coach is going to be good but as usual, current 05 Raptors will be relegated to the 2nd team and not be happy with that - but welcome to real competitive play - not the C IWSL division where most of their teams typically have played. I imagine they are trying to nab more talented players from other clubs in and outside the area.

13. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    What are peoples thoughts on the "R" at Inter and whether that is going to pull players from TC, Galaxy, Evo and more? I think with Raptors getting the "R" last year and then getting bumped to ECNL, that we should expect the same for Inter. So are girls from other clubs in the general area going to jump early to get a foot in the door?

It will be interesting too see how those numbers look down the road.

14. SoccerNet101

SoccerNet101 Member

Feb 9, 2022
    I think a lot of families in the West are waiting and seeing what happens but my guess is some early betters are going to look at Inter to get a jump into playing in a higher league in the future.

i think inter getting full ECNL has the most potential to hurt eclipse and their immunity from their past allocations of abuse and grooming of children. But as of right now ECNL has done an impressive job of protecting Eclipse at all costs. I’m not sure if Eclipse has even publicly acknowledged the story, or if their membership really cares. But knowing how ECNL didn’t really give any meaningful sanctions, wouldn’t surprise me if they make up some excuses of poor performance in the Regional league next year to keep delaying membership to Inter.

FCU has really been quietly putting together a great development program, several national team call ups, and a lot of D1 offers to their older girls.

15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Campton and FCX (Barrington) have entered into a partnership with Rockford Raptors to offer top players access to ECNL, E64... ect...

My thoughts... FCX is all but done so there is no there - there.

Campton... Few talented players who are capable of playing at an ECNL. Once they decide to eventually join Raptors then where does that leave Campton - another FCX?

Depending on the roll out - out of CSA to Raptors (which there is some), I think Campton would be better off picking up the remainder of CSA players and rebuilding teams. Nothing - and I mean nothing has ever come from these sorts of relationships and there have been MANY!

Soccerharold repped this.
  16. Soccerharold

Soccerharold New Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Nov 22, 2021
    Chicago, Il
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would this be similar to the Chicago Inter and LTSC deal? It Seems like LTSC loses their best players to Chicago Inter and I don't know how that helps LTSC in the future.

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I imagine so.

I don't think FCX or Campton are really pulling in any big new numbers so it will be more of losing top players then funneling in a bunch of new players. I cannot see CSA players moving (back) there and most of Strikers players are multi-sport athletes which is why they are at Strikers to begin with. Not jamming them but just sort of stating the obvious. IMO soccer is shrinking at the IWSL/MCW levels where these clubs compete - in part because less kids are playing and also because you have plenty of clubs out there who are now in E64, ECNL, ECNLR, MLS Next, GA and more.

There are simply less players (especially quality players) to backfill the IWSL, YSSL and MCW ranks IMO.

18. SoccerNet101

SoccerNet101 Member

Feb 9, 2022
    How are these partnerships suppose to work? If I have a daughter who is lights out great.. but I won’t drive to Rockford for a practice. Then would I just join one of these other clubs and train with them and play Ecnl games first and any other games the home club offers than don’t conflict with Ecnl schedule? Strange set up.

Would have made more sense for Ecnl to just give two local Chicagoland clubs a Ecnl invite and not protect abuse.

19. WI Soccer Dad

WI Soccer Dad Member

May 2, 2022
    Hello. Wisconsin soccer Dad of a daughter here. It's been a good read and a interesting browse to get a idea at what the Chicago land youth soccer picture looks like.

Particularly what happens down there in regards to ECNL because that is the league my daughter plays in.

Pete. repped this.
  20. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My understanding is that LTSC joined in with Inter before they were part of E64. At that time inter was in some other program that offered a few showcase events. Any number of LTSC players could guest play with Inter in those events. LTSC was able to place some teams in premier level MWC or National League which was on par with Inter but now that Inter is clearly in a higher level of national competition it makes sense for those players to move to Inter and will likely gut the top LTSC teams.

21. Effington

Effington Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Do Sockers FC cut at U6/U7?

My kid just had a try-out for Sockers FC. Kid has good ball control / touch for his age and is a stand-out in his rec league, although that is Pre-K and has some younger kids who have never kicked a ball.

However, he is small for his age and also was the youngest on the field at this try-out, so was extra small. It definitely appeared that he was one of the weaker ones. (Was a nice eye-opener for dad, who was used to seeing him stick out in a good way!)

At the end of practice, the coach said he was going to extend him an offer to join, although noted that with his size, he would "need some time to adjust".

That leads to my question, do they cut at that age group?

22. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I am sure even the very best of rec players - both players and parents, are pretty shocked when they attend a Sockers try out.

Sockers do not cut on the boys or girls side. They find a team or at least a pool for players to train in.

Good luck.

23. bluechicago

bluechicago Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little known to parents as they all have FOMO, but most clubs that have a decent size pool of players/age groups don't cut anyone. They will find a group for you. The worst player pays the bills just as much as the best, and often has way less headaches associated with them.

The only time you really see cuts is at small local clubs who may not have a team at every birth year.

24. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Leftydad repped this.
  25. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Lets talk player retention... frankly I think it's an excellent - if not the best opportunity to identify where there club is going wrong. For example... What if 7 players on a 15 roster team bolt? would it not be a great opportunity to find out why?