Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    2015 was the last year - it was a hybrid with girls playing in IWSL and select teams (that would change per game - not based on skill) would play in the NISL.

You are right - parents complained and since Sockers ran the league I am sure they did not want to lose boys clubs as a result of maintaining girls in that program.

But they (Sockers) also nixed training with the boys as well by 2016 and that I am not so clear on why? Could be the very same reason.

2. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Outside of someone’s ref favoring comment (which I agree with) why do parents care about this?

It just makes no sense.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Well from what I saw - with 2 daughters going through this, games sort of flowed in the same manner in that the first half the refs were protecting the girls and the boys would always be nervous about physical contact. Close of the 1st half girls are up by one or two goals and the by second half the boys say to hell with it and start their physical play - which is was stronger then most girls teams, and come back and win.

So there is really nothing to take away from the boys at all. Frustrating first half followed by dominating the second half. I can see why parents would get frustrated but it was not like other clubs were doing this so we are talking about one - maybe two games in a season where they have to deal with it?

Now - I have seen a few girls teams play in the NISL after 2015 - not clubs but just maybe an excelptional team that is looking to imrpove on speed and physical play.

smontrose repped this.
  4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Anyone think that we lost 2 seaons with COVID?

Seems like clubs/teams are all over the place. Rankings (already not reliable) are really bad becuase some of the efforts are not even recorded (State Cup) and so on. Seems like this is just a year we'll throw crap at the wall and see what sticks.

Maybe not back to a real normal until Fall 2022.

5. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    So after 2015 you saw all girls teams play in NISL boys leagues (national PL or just the PL?). If so that means NISL (Sockers) ok with it for the league they just don’t want to deal with it for their teams?

As I mentioned before I do get that referee situation - would be maddening like any unfair referee situation is…

I’m not sure about boys being more aggressive- the few time’s I do catch a glimpse of girls games the first thing that always comes to mind is how aggressive they can be! Always surprised me…

6. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    On the boys side I don’t think all that much has changed other than numbers are down on the whole across all clubs. Which sucks because youth sports/soccer has a kids quitting problem on the whole and this only made it worse.

I hope kids come back in force for youth sports this fall…it’s good for them. From rec leagues to travel.

7. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    This is a little worrying. Numbers for the summer at my son's HS team, a program with some decent history of success, are way off. Unless a lot more kids show up at tryouts in a couple of weeks, they'll need to use 10 (give or take) swing players to have a JV. Two season ago, my son's freshman year, 60-plus kids came to tryouts.

The best of the local clubs is in a similar situations -- very low numbers signed up for fall.

Others seeing this, too?

8. Kroad

Kroad Member

Apr 17, 2020
    Activity here in Illinois for the girls side seems back-to-normal for fall. The iwsl (girls) list is 28 pages long full of teams across all ages and I think was something only like 15 back in the spring if I recall. Everyone we knew that played elected to continue with the sport and is really excited about what is hopefully a normal season.

Even summer stuff like 3v3, super Y, etc. seems pretty well attended. So fingers crossed.

Not sure about the boys side, but hopefully the same.

9. Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock New Member

Apr 17, 2020
    This is not the case. My boys have played against Sockers girls teams this past spring and pre-covid.

10. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Not as a whole - they killed that in 2015 and have been in IWSL and the NPL with the top teams in GDA or GA exclusively.

11. Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock New Member

Apr 17, 2020
    That's brave of you. Navigating the waters of Chicago soccer is difficult enough for some....more so when one of the boats muddies the waters. Cheers, mate.

12. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    FC United boys won the u19/20USYS National Championship. Was surprised to read it was the clubs first USYS championship.

13. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Was FCU that good of a boys club prior to the take over of the Magic DA and bringing over of some Fire teams? I always thought they were more of a girls club.

14. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    That’s great. Thrill for those kids…

15. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The girls were always stronger than the boys. I assumed the girls had won a few with how strong they were. The boys have always been decent on the state level until they got the DA.

VolklP19 repped this.
  16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    That's what I thought... OMG Bottas is out!

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So I'll leave this here because it's funny. That comment was meant for an F1 board. I am sorry.

18. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    ?

19. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Bottas is a Formula 1 racer.

Ryan7852 repped this.
  20. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    FCU has been strong on the boys side for a while. The 1998 boys won state cups in 2015, 2016, and 2017, along with a regional title in 2017. The 2001 boys qualified for regionals in 2018 through regional league and won State Cup in 2019 but did not get out of their group at regionals. This team was composed of some 01's, mostly 02's and a couple of 03's. It is mostly kids committed to or playing at division 3 colleges. The roster included 3 players attending Middlebury (VT), 2 Carthage (WI), 2 Kenyon (OH), 2 Hope (MI), 1 each from Trinity (CT), Illinois Wesleyan, Milwaukee School of Engineering, Wisconsin-Whitewater, Carnegie Mellon (PA) and Denison (OH). 1 kids is playing for Duquesne (D1) and 1 for Western Michigan (D1).

This squad finished 3rd in regional league behind Scott Gallagher and Galaxy. The defeated Galaxy 01 3-1, Galaxy 02 3-2, and FC74 1-0 to win state cup. At regionals, they won their group, won the semi 5-0 over CUP from Ohio, and beat Scott Gallagher 3-2 in OT in the final in St. Louis. They won that game with a standout performance from Middlebury College soph Ryan Grady (2019 D3 All-American as a frosh) in goal. At nationals, they beat Lehigh Valley United (PA) 2-0, Miami Strikers (2-0), tied Team Boca (FL) 2-2 in a game with heavy squad rotation, defeated Tuzos (AZ) 2-1 in the semis, and beat Miami Strikers 2-1 in the final. This particular group has been defensively solid for years, but finally found some offense. The players are almost exclusively from north suburban high school programs, including New Trier, Loyola, Evanston, Glenbrook South, Glenbrook North, Barrington, Stevenson, Warren, Lake Zurich, and Deerfield.

FC United has won 10 state cups on the boys side. Their non-academy girls programs have not been as successful as they were prior to the academy coming along. They used to be the high school friendly girls club, and all their top players played high school, but that is no longer the case.

Any way, the McGuire Cup title is the 4th time a team from IL has won it--2005 Sockers, 1955 Schwaben, and 1954 Hansa FC are the other winners.

illinisoccer repped this.
  21. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Just so ya all know... At 48 I could nail 100% of pks in the lower left or right within likely an inch. Perhaps the Ducth lionesses should learn to do the same :mad:

What a waste of a game:thumbsdown:

22. Myxlplk

Myxlplk Member

Apr 10, 2019
    They blew it! That was their game to lose. How many PKs can you miss in a game???

VolklP19 repped this.
  23. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    With no pressure. A little different in this scenario. The Dutch talked a lot before the game but didn’t really back it up.

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #5424 VolklP19, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Well I loved taking PKs and corners so no pressure - never throughout the time I played.

What's wrong with talking. Dutch outplayed the US easily with exception of the first 10 minutes and the last 15 of extended play - just failed to take 4 easy shots and missed 3 pks. Considering the US bench I would say that any talk is fairly credible.

Dutch are a better team - just blew it today.

Myxlplk repped this.
  25. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    What level were you taking those penalties at? Probably not the Olympics. Anyone can miss. The Dutch girl is one of the best strikers of all time and she hit a horrendous penalty. It happens.

I have no problem with talking if you back it up. This is one of the worse versions of the US team in recent history and they advanced. Not sure either team outplayed anyone. 50-50 on possession. Naeher gifted them a goal. A terrible penalty attempt by the Dutch.4 goals called back for offside. This was the Dutch’s chance and they didn’t take it. You look worse when you open your mouth prior to the game.