Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    High school sports require masks - I know that.

2. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Currently they are required for all sports no matter the risk level or indoor or outdoor.

3. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NISL accepting HSB applications for league play.
    I assume all clubs will be all in but seems to be tentative right now... wtf
    Masks outside really???
    Last grasp for control. F Pritzker.

4. SoccerPop314

SoccerPop314 Member

Fire
    United States
    Apr 24, 2020
    I don’t want to get too political here as I think their have been some successful covid migration strategies but as far as masks wearing for kids outside, I would like to know what metric(s) is being evaluated for the move back to no masks.

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I am up the middle with Illinois. Pritsker followed CDC guidlines but I think we could have played more with "soccer-specific" guidelines. I am gload we don't have that donkey in Texas as a Govenor though.

6. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    #4781 Fuegofan, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    COVID-19 gets transmitted with droplets from respiration. Soccer players breathe out a lot of droplets and breathe them in deeply, too. Masks help. Deal with it. My friends' son in Madrid, Spain, has been wearing a mask for practice and games since October.

All of Illinois is in Phase 4. Once enough vaccine has been distributed and hospitalizations are negligible we'll be in Phase 5, and life will return to mostly normal.

All of that said, US Soccer has never suggested that players play without masks. Its Phase II and Phase III say the following:
    For players and team/club staff that choose to wear PPE while physically exerting themselves, the following should be considered:
    a.Discuss with your primary care physician if any medical conditions pre-dispose you to avoid the use of a face cover while participating in physical activity.
    b.PPE should be breathable and not prevent or disrupt ventilation.
    c.PPE should not obscure the individual’s vision.
    d.PPE should not pose a risk to another participant.
    e.PPE should be in good maintenance, at the responsibility of the individual.

I get not wanting to wear masks out there, but since I live in a building with 80 and 90 year olds, yeah, I do when I play, and my son does, too, as do all of the other players. It was rather nice in the winter as the masks warmed up the air a little. Hopefully by summer we won't need to mask anymore, at least not for soccer. But it has been nice that no one in the house has gotten even the sniffles in over a year since masks help against all sorts of upper respiratory diseases. Not riding public transit or being in meetings with sick colleagues helps, too.

VolklP19 and illinisoccer repped this.
  7. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Now I'm reviewing what I read last night, and it looks like outdoors, soccer can basically do what it wants. What am I missing here? I'm going to attempt to post pictures.

upload_2021-3-5_8-41-30.png
    https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/s/restore-illinois-regional-dashboard

upload_2021-3-5_8-42-33.png
    upload_2021-3-5_8-43-8.png

upload_2021-3-5_8-43-43.png

upload_2021-3-5_8-44-24.png
    https://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/community-guidance/sports-safety-guidance

So if we're in Phase 4, and soccer is a medium risk sport, we must be at Level 4 four outdoors, which means that we can do tournaments and out-of-state play. I don't see a restriction. Again, what am I missing?

8. blackandwhitesphere

United States
    Apr 28, 2019
    I cannot deal with that lack of common sense these (politicians on both sides) people have. Yes, while you are indoors or cannot socially distance yourself, you need to wear a mask. The data and science show us that kids are not getting Covid from playing outside sports. We need to look at the data...

For example, in a study of 7,324 Chinese case reports, only two — part of the same transmission event — could be linked to outdoor settings. A database of more than 20,000 cases (including the 7,324 Chinese cases) found 461 that were associated with transmission in completely outdoor environments — predominantly crowded events like markets and rallies.

People are sitting unmasked in crowded bars and restaurants all over Illinois!!! Enough all ready. If you are at high risk, or your child is at high risk, they shouldn't be playing at all. We just got back from NC. No masks, no problem. We need to listen to the data and science!

smontrose repped this.
  9. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone confirm NISL h.s. boys 6 week schedule starting this Saturday?

10. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah Raptors girls???

Eclipse that afraid of not getting top players that they have to go that far out?

Worth mentioning that Raptors would be no where near eligible for ECNL back in the day. People would have laughed at it and frankly should do the same today.

While I'm jamming Eclipse - I'll mention that I have heard RD is mandating A teams in OB and B teams in NB for next season.

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #4787 VolklP19, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Got the Ed Norton email for the Memorial Day Tourney at Olympic. Looks like it's being managed on a new rankings site - https://usa.sincsports.com/rank/view

I know how we all feeel about ranking sites but there it is anyhow.

This one is WAY FAR off compared to YSR and GS. Light years off in fact!

12. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That is their MO. Start off friendly then secure all the top players then find a new “partner” to poach.

13. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah - I recall that pattern as well. There are going to be many upset parents across the board - or at least in NB.

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I'm guessing that this club is now the Central Eclipse club they are speaking about?

upload_2021-3-19_9-14-14.png

I have a mate from high school I played soccer with who has a daughter on this team - they are decent - far better then a Raptors - that's for certain.

15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    The worst part of the ECNL announcement is now we have yet another "Exclusive" league for teams to play in.

Club v Club
    Select Club
    and now... Regional ECNL

Since I have been involved in girls soccer (2004), this is by far the worst period of time - hands down - no competition.

smfw repped this.
  16. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah I was not sure because I thought CIU and Fire had some sort of work together agreement.

18. Malarkey

Malarkey Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 4, 2020
    The ECNL is going to destroy their league while destroying the GA. Not because of the RL but because they continue to pick up any GA club with a pulse. Wonder if they could get Salvo? Will be interesting, in a few years, to see if they have the balls to do some sort of cleaning house or promotion and relegation.

19. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Ugh. Trying to keep up with the acronyms. "RD is mandating A teams in OB and B teams in NB for next season." I'm guessing RD is a coach known to many of you. No problem. But OB and NB? I'm guessing certain leagues?

"The ECNL is going to destroy their league while destroying the GA. Not because of the RL but because they continue to pick up any GA club with a pulse." I know the ECNL. The GA? At first I thought you meant the DA, which would be the Development Academy that has become MLS Next. So now I'm stumped again. The RL? No idea.

And I've seen another term, I think it was ML or MR or maybe it was MRL, but I'm thinking it meant the Midwest Regional League, of which I think Super Y is related to somehow. Is there a primer out there on all of this? o_O

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    They should have linked the MRL as a feeder series and bumped up the top Prem I teams to ECNL. I know that's not how it works but it would have been nice.

That said - Eclipse, I mean ECNL is only in it for the $$$. So why create a solid path with existing components when you can screw up more of the landscape by creating your own feeder league?

If there was no collusion from clubs before - you can sure as bet there will be now.

GA's bet bet would be to convince USYS to drop Club v Club and annex Prem I down to the First Divisions as their own feeder series. Where is coach Rudy? Get it done man!

21. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    RD - Specific Coach for Eclipse.
    OB - Oak Brook Eclipse
    NB - North Brook Eclipse
    And new...
    CI - Central Illinois Eclipse.

:confused:

22. smfw

smfw Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Apr 10, 2019
    US soccer mucked this all up for the girls 6 years ago by starting the DA-
    Couldn't leave well enough alone.
    ECNL back then was THE platform and women only
    Best clubs focused on women only in the ECNL

Now most clubs with ECNL also have boys -
    chasing the revenue stream - in time the girls will again get less attention in those clubs that previously had catered to girls

1 step forward - 2 steps backwards

US soccer manages to F over the women yet again

And we the parents equally culpable for paying and buying into all this - tennis anyone?

23. Leftydad

Leftydad Member

Manchester United
    France
    Mar 20, 2021
    Looking for a Good Club in the south/southwest suburbs. Maybe even as far as Indiana. Any really great experiences, not wanting to go the Oak Brook route yet, for a 9 year old.

24. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Chicago Inter in Homer Glen and Galaxy in Naperville are the two best south/sw clubs. South suburbs are recalling hurting for a great club since the Fire South in Orland seem to have really dropped off.