Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. PosessionFootball

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 28, 2020
    Many tournaments use GotSoccer and it's trash. That's why I have been defending YSR. It's a much better system.

2. PosessionFootball

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 28, 2020
    I'm not looking to debate but tournaments such as SuperCopa, Jefferson Cup and Surf all use rankings as a part of the process to seed their tournaments. They typically use GotSoccer which is terrible but...

3. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If your club name and/or results in state cup/MRL is not good enough to get you in a top bracket than you probably shouldn’t be going to those events. Plenty of good local options.

4. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    If they did that Sockers would never receive invites to those big tournaments. Let alone do so well at many off them...(SuperCopa most especially for u12/under

5. PosessionFootball

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 28, 2020
    Well they do..I know this as a fact. At the younger ages, of course they go on club reputation as many teams are relatively new. And Sockers has a reputation based on past success and rankings....plus - what is Sockers U13 (2008) boys team currently ranked in YSR? 7th in IL and 253 in the nation...well within the criteria to be accepted to big tournaments.

And I'm not mostly talking invites - I'm talking seeding and which group you are placed in. These tournaments know little about the current level of teams in the MRL or IL state cup.

6. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Re: got soccer no way. No way a reputable tournament would use their rankings to make decisions on whether to invite/accept a team. That tournament would quickly be viewed as a farce because got soccer ratings are (by and large) a farce.

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I think a lot do unfortunately.

8. PosessionFootball

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 28, 2020
  9. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019

I don’t know how that works in practice/reality, but I concede how a tournament organizer would love that feature if they took GOTS rankings at face value

but still I contend the top tournaments could never afford to take those ratings at face value (but maybe in some small markets where they don’t have relationships they have no other choice) I’ve seen way too often teams listed in top five of their respective state that have no business being in top 10. And top five and top 10-15 in a state is usually a huge gulf between those two.

Evos repped this.
  10. PosessionFootball

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 28, 2020
    I don't disagree with you. Some do as they have nothing else to go on for teams outside their region.

Ryan7852 repped this.
  11. runnrkicks76

runnrkicks76 New Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Going back to an earlier post, YSR also doesn't take into account the importance of a game or what the coach is trying to do with the game. Top teams don't care about NISL or YSSL games. State Cup, MRC, IYSA Premship and National League take way more importance than local leagues. Many elite/top teams enter local/state leagues to get playing time for players who can't get playing time during elite competition.

illinisoccer repped this.
  12. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
  13. PosessionFootball

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 28, 2020
    True. No ranking system can handle when a team isn't playing to win.

14. PosessionFootball

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 28, 2020
    On a more relevant note, has anyone heard anything about the possibility of Pritzker reclassifying soccer from medium to low risk? A lot of people reached out to his office and seems like he's not even replying.

15. Jesminder

Jesminder New Member

Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    May 7, 2020
    Chicago, IL
    That will be great!! I was actually surprised it was not classified higher, when the list came out, given that Hockey and Lacrosse were deemed as high risk.

16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Why should it? I mean it would be impossible to really calculate that unless you went all the way to the player level. Coaches would have to submit starting line ups and that could (could) determine strategy (develop or win). But thats a bit much for youth sports IMO. You think daddy coaches are going to go through that effort at the B level?

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Never happen - infact we'll go back to Phase 3 in September is what I am hearing. Fall and likely Winter are done.

18. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yesterday someone asked him about changing hockey and he dismissed it. Can’t see him making soccer a low risk considering the amount of contact and inability to distance while competing. Return to Phase 3 is more likely

19. PosessionFootball

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 28, 2020
    It'll be interesting if we go back to Phase 3...all 11 regions are nowhere near the current thresholds for moving from Phase 4 to Phase 3...

http://www.dph.illinois.gov/regionmetrics?regionID=1

20. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to the illinois covid site and look for mitigation plan...
    The criteria Mark's for getting to phase 4 dont mean squat.
    Any sustained 7 day rise, apparently no matter how small, in positivity and or hospital admissions is grounds to go back.
    JB wants a state bailout...whattya think is going to happen???
    They just gonna keep splitting the hair.

21. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cook county is region 10

22. BiggJ

BiggJ New Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Illinois
  23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    "They said there would be no math..."

So does this mean we are back on?

How the hell do you play out of state if you are only allowed intra-team scrimmages???

What's the point?

illinisoccer repped this.
  24. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    I’ll take out of state, intra squad scrimmages!!!

SoccerPop314 repped this.
  25. SoccerPop314

SoccerPop314 Member

Fire
    United States
    Apr 24, 2020
    Being completely honest about this: can they make this any less logical or confusing? So can you play in a state that you have to quarantine from? Either there isn’t any real heath concern or they are totally ignoring it...

The kids (and I ) are happy about games but it’s all a head scratcher.