Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryan,
    Spot on. Agree with comments re #9. Kid got pigeonholed for an entire fall to spring year...we almost left!
    Hes a 7 11 and now gets time at 2 3 which really helps to get him focused when he finally gets a ball at forward.
    Hitcct. Re read Evos statement...4 5 should qb... we have a few 4 5 that have started to work in unison with keeper...fun to see at the h.s. ages the entire formation working smoothly!

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    On a large fb group for soccer parents... Discussing how while USSF failed, that USYS has failed even worse by adding revenue generating programming disguised as opportunities for players to do more and parents to panic.

Reminded me of this article which I thought I would share.

https://changingthegameproject.com/the-race-to-nowhere-in-youth-sports/

I've said it before - lets re-start youth soccer with realistic information that parents can digest so they can make critical decisions. How many kids get full D1 rides? How many kids get anything at all? How many kids walk on? How many kids quit the sport altogether at u14 because they are burnt out, injury or exposed to new activities through high school? Lets inform parents about the odds and then see...

1) Do I want to invest all this time and money in soccer?
    2) Do I want my player(s) to specialize in this sport exclusively?

If we did this - if USYS would create a true pyramid and actually govern. I think you would not only see more kids doing more sports but I think in the ends you would have better players. The process would be more organic as we'd likely see less kids being jammed into the sport because of bad parents.

3. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    My '05 son occasionally gets dropped into this hole on the various teams he plays for and, by his own admission, is usually lost. Hard position to play and (for someone like me, anyway, who has no idea how to coach it) hard to teach. How do you know when to hold up and wait versus turning for a shot or a run at goal? How do you position yourself to be ready to make a run when you don't have the ball, to sit on a defender's shoulder (as TV commentators often put it), to know when to drop back into the midfield, to find those pockets to slide into in the box when your team is in possession and pushed forward, ...?

Conversations elsewhere in this thread about the quarterbacking from the back line mirror a lot of his experience over the past year. He's been an attack-minded left fullback a lot the past few years, then slotted into the attacking CM role on his high school team last fall, then plugged in as a CB on the last team he played for (a winter club team that draws players from a wide region). His ability to drive forward out of the back, direct from there, ..., was helped quite a bit, I think, by some success at CM, and helped him lock down that spot as a CB on that last team.

Good grief I miss soccer.

Evos, smontrose and Ryan7852 repped this.
  4. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    I don’t think this issue can ever be changed. Too much emotion involved. As parents we see endless possibilities with our kids which is great. So hard for some (myself included) to separate that emotion from cold hard facts. Usually takes til u12/u13 before reality starts to set in. Or at least a more sober perspective.

Some parents have it right away. Funny too how you can be so detached from some sports your kids play and so wrapped up in others. Amazes me anyway.

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I disagree - I think it can easily be changed if USYS decided to do a credible effort.

6. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    I hope you’re right...

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    We have Zoom meetings early next week - back out at it in small groups starting June 6th... My kid is pretty excited!

8. SoccerPop314

SoccerPop314 Member

Fire
    United States
    Apr 24, 2020
    I think all kids are excited for the small group practices, anything to be around their friends and teammates. Figures crossed they can play some games in July.

9. Myxlplk

Myxlplk Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Girls DA (or whatever it is now) 04/05 current as one example. This player has constantly trained with the boys DA for the the last several years but none of the other DA girls were afforded this opportunity. Why? Their entire family has played DA. It one case it was totally warranted but the other kids have just taken legitimate spots from other kids who more than deserved it. It’s sad to see and experience.

10. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What age group of boys does she train with?

11. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on that presentation it really makes me concerned about what will NOT be allowed in phase 4...
    Will scrimmaging and game play be allowed in phase 4? The plan states social distancing and face coverings is the NORM for phase 4... phase 5 does not happen until vaccine(never) or highly effective treatment is widely available...
    Are we talking no amateur sports until at least 2022?

12. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Almost ever sport is not requiring face coverings while people are actually playing. It is only required prior to taking the field/court/ice

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    IYSA - Worthless piece of garbage!

upload_2020-5-26_20-35-51.png

15. Gilbertgull

Gilbertgull New Member

Torquay
    England
    Jul 20, 2018
    Wasn’t this posted about earlier?

Any one remember which page number?

16. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gave her the ole "Bosnian Turtleneck"...

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    About 7 people responded in disgust before they took it down. No way this kid gets glory from the game while I'm around.

illinisoccer and Ryan7852 repped this.
  18. Myxlplk

Myxlplk Member

Apr 10, 2019
    There is no way this girl can represent IL ODP as a State Player or anything else! That is just disgraceful and disgusting!! Is IL Youth Soccer aware of this? There has to be some morals clause in the paperwork one signs off on. She should be stripped of that honor and privilege to represent IL. You should find out where she does her martial arts too. I’m sure that they wouldn’t be too thrilled with her actions either. She has to be held accountable for her actions!

illinisoccer repped this.
  19. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    All very good points but I would rather focus on moving forward with my kid. I was set for that until this BS came out. IYSA had all this information. Just goes to show that all these morons running these leagues need to be flushed. They could care less about governance. All they do is create new lines of revenue to get money from parents check books.

20. SoccerPop314

SoccerPop314 Member

Fire
    United States
    Apr 24, 2020
    what happened with her? Was situation of a kid making one stupid decision or a pattern of dirty behavior?