Changing Landscapes - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Dec 28, 2016.

1. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    Maybe I misinterpreted this, but are you saying that if parents had more influence over the soccer landscape that we would have less problems?

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    No. What I am saying is if parents became more educated about youth sports and simply not accept the sort of environment where clubs/coaches make players/parents fearful of outside play (for an example), or not being able to communicate with coaches - another example...

I've never encountered a coach as poor as BC at Sockers when it comes to communication (my experience). However Rudy is an excellent communicator at Sockers. This causes confusion as to what parents can and cannot do in terms of reaching out.

If a club does not allow for this (within reason - as we know we have some crazy parents out there) then I think parents should ask why - and if they do not get an answer - maybe find another club.

Another example: A coach reemed out a u11 player for wearing the wrong practice kit during training. Had the coach simply asked why he would have understood that the players parents were recently divorced and that half her kit was at one home and the rest at another. That confrontation - for a 10 year old was one reason this player left the club - and she was the best prospect of any player within the 04/05/06 group - including one particular coaches kid.

In this case - no parent should take this without going back to the coach. This coach in particular caused another issue with a different player and I actually saw him roll his eyes when the parent caught him in a lie. So not sure where that ended up.

Point being - parents need to stop taking this sort of abuse and remind clubs/coaches that they are the customer - same said for Eclipse OB and one particulair coach (gotta be fair).

True development should entail getting to know a bit about your players to understand what best approach is suitable for developing players. Otherwise it's a one size fits all - which is the case in many finishing programs IMO.

I think here, parents need to be active as well. If a parent knows (because they are that's kids parent), that the player does not react to a particular style of direction - they should feel free to mention it - and not be worried that a coach is going to look down on them. Any decent coach should thankfully accept the information as a means to help first - not tell the coach how to do their job.

It has to be fun - as Rudy has eluded to in the past, it has to be fun. There has to be some degree of fun, team building and so on that keeps kids and parents involved.

Costs need to be in check. When we played at Sockers we had 3 training sessions a week. 10 games in the IWSL, evening games in the NPL and two tourneys. This was (with a kit) around $3000.00 annually.

This past year the 05 PDA team just had NPL games and I believe they only had 1 tourney in the Fall. The second 05 PDA team had no tourneys and ony played in the NPL - in some cases down players. How come players from both of these teams pay the same? And this is by far not a Sockers issue - I have seen this sort of crap everywhere.

My point is that clubs need to embrace parents to a certain extent and start looking at creative ways to train all players/customers.

TinyClub and illinisoccer repped this.
  3. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PN kids either loves him or hates him. My daughter tolerated him when he ran summer conditioning but hated being called Sunshine by him.

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Thats sort of creepy.

From what I heard he's like 99% of coaches out there... If your a top player you love him - if not they'll make it clear your just there so they can collect your money.

Most parents cannot see beyond this however - goes back to my earlier post.

5. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still fail to understand this as a biz model...
    If your not building from within it seems your just in a perpetual churn...
    You piss off parents and kids, they leave, necessitating this dirty recruitment...and it turns and churns.
    Better think of some new spicy topics for the board when we go to in place shelter!
    Lastly, I love all the correspondence clogging my inbox and mailbox after son did recent indoor showcase.
    Not one coach came to see sophomores. Wouldnt you at least give it a few minutes and see if there was an outlier to watch?
    Anyway, correspondence includes important i.d. camps my kid should attend because coaches can't watch every highlight video.
    And all I have to do is register and PAY now to reserve our spot!
    Total bollocks. I'm going to start writing back and tell them to piss off

upper left repped this.
  6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Whats this about?

7. smontrose

smontrose Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Aug 30, 2017
    Illinois, NW Suburb
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about me rambling!
    But basically how clubs and coaches "recruit" top players.
    I typically side with parents but they are somewhat responsible with this commoditizing kids talent...

8. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Youth soccer is a big business. This is how it works. Get the best talent, have better results, attract more customers. No different than corporate America.

9. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Speaking of big business...

let’s say season is called off entirely. Any clubs out there become insolvent as a result?
    At what point do clubs need to cut coaches from payroll? At what point do they give refunds?

Anyone have any knowledge of this or reasonable theories? This is a mess that I don’t think is ending anytime soon.

Thoughts?

10. Hitcat

Hitcat Member

Chicago Fire
    Germany
    Feb 7, 2020
    Your "Another example" is just disgusting. That needs rectified by the next practice on both sides. We're divorcing and fighting is no excuse, and not going to the coach and explaining is no excuse. I deal with the uniform issue and we're friends that talk regularly (15min ago to be exact).

You're right in style of coaching. I can tell you without hesitation Sockers is the only club he's played for that understands his desire. He's a hyper aggressive sweeper keeper. Probably 80% of his heat map is out of the 18 box. I know, but you haven't tried this club or that club...honestly go watch 05,06,07 at olympic and tell me how many keepers you ever see touch the mid line. Go watch the NPL isnt 56ers in first? See if he ever leaves the 18.

Cost? I Agree if you aren't getting 4-5 days/week for $3k, maybe look at another finishing club. Because for $300/month 8 hours+/month I'm getting actual MLS/euro national team coaching.
    And its outside the club, approved by his coach.
    I'm behind you on parents being more involved. I think you give them way too much credit. My kids parents all tell me how good he is and how much he straight up scares the shit out of them.

11. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Have a feeling it will get ugly with the contract coaches. If the whole spring is canceled, the clubs will have to refund the parents and not pay the coaches. Could see a lot of movement amongst contract coaches.

12. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Are refunds guaranteed? Not sure i'd even ask for one if it meant the club folding and having to layoff coaches.

CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  13. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Hey coaches have to put food on the table and it's not their fault.

I think for those of us who can afford to spend $2k-$3k demanding for money back when a shit load of other people who could never afford this and are/will lose their jobs look pretty dumb.

Just my 2 cents...

CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  14. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    I'm hoping lots of people feel the way Volk and ppierce do re refunds.Otherwise, I'm not optimistic about smaller and mid-size clubs that I suspect don't have much cash socked away beyond what they would have to refund and lack assets to sell (don't own their fields, ...).

15. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Yeah, just curious. I think we’re heading in that direction sad to say. I can’t imagine we all resumes after April 12

16. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    This is totally out-of-line given the circumstances but maybe this will be a good thing for the landscape by weeding the garden. I honestly don't want this to happen for my friends in the business but trying to find a silver lining in all of this. Go ahead and roast me for this take. I'll see myself out...

17. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    What about tryouts? How do you handle that?

18. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Unprecedented times...

19. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Ewww... Didn't think of that.

I was out jogging yesterday and a few parents of my u10 team were asking me about the season starting and I said likely not. But I am running summer programming so I am going to speak with the league too see if we can just run this in the summer - providing we are back to "normal".

20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Clubs will not have to pay field costs while on hiatus. Will DA and ECNL and other leagues refund clubs for their fees? I am assuming that clubs pay the leagues some fees to be a part of it. This question is of course assuming the spring season never resumes.

21. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don’t know if this makes me a dick or what, but I want my money back…it’s not that I can’t “afford it” or that have any ill will toward my brand new, yet current club…but if I am paying for something and I don’t get it, for whatever reason, I expect my money back, even if prorated...most clubs are run as a business, many make decisions based on their bottom line, not what’s best for the kids…isn’t that, in large part, what “we” bitch about all the time…now, we are going to treat them like they’re a charity or something? Whatever happens, when this crisis is over, there will be soccer…

22. Regista

Regista Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    #3172 Regista, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    What clubs currently are singing their kids up for online training programs such as Techne, Beastmode etc? At their expense

What clubs are having coaches train online via facebook live?

Why are certain clubs asking kids to do instagram skill challenges with toilet paper? I get it it's fun and for morale. But can we detail a plan and be serious about what is next?

Which clubs have discussed refunds or preparation for programming in the summer etc?

Personally, receiving little contact and no insight other than generic training and we will monitor the situation is lazy

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    We are doing "other" things that we have not done in years because of soccer. I'm not freaking out. Next week if the weather gets better I will put up my big goals and maybe line my 11v11 field so we can go out and kick the ball.

24. GotSoccerIsDumb

Fire
    United States
    May 30, 2019
    Why do you need to pay for these programs and apps when all the exercises are on Youtube and you can watch them for free? What happens if the season gets extended until July and the club then doesn't have it in the budget because they paid for these apps to use during this time off? The most recent take I heard was a club was going to treat this like an extended spring break with the assumption that the season will continue later into the summer. If it doesn't they'll issue refunds or credits because at least then they know what expenses they'll have. Honestly not an irrational plan.

I'm an adult and I'm finding it hard to keep my mind occupied while we're all stuck at home. Why not have a little fun? These are kids, man. Mine were going nuts around the house yesterday when it was raining. I'd rather have them juggle TP than a ball that could break something or staring at screen for hours. Now that the rain stopped they can go play in the yard.

With the situation changing everyday it's hard to make plans. Considering most clubs operate on razor-thin margins I can understand why many aren't pursuing more costly training options in the short-term when the long-term is so hazy. This is an unprecedented situation. The government doesn't even have their eggs in order. Give the clubs some time.

25. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Agree. What are the clubs going to say at this point. Talk about a “developing situation”.

My mind is now turning to carnage relative to who comes back and who signs up. A lot of people getting hurt by this. A lot of business having to shit down, employees going on unemployment. It’s going to effect numbers for sure.