Changes to the Rep System

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

That's happening to myself right now at the moment

I had one neg rep in total until I started really posting in the politics forum

Now folks that disagree with my viewpoints are neg repping me not just for what I said, but for what I believe

I also feel that you should be forced to enter a comment

Blank negs should not be allowed

2. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

No, not for what you believe, but because you make false and/or misleading statements and insult other users.

3. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Prove my statements false then

Do it in posts

Refute what I have to say

And if you want to start neg repping people for unsults - holy crap all your little friends in that forum would be gone in a heartbeat

Don't be a hypocrite

4. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    The idea behind a neg rep is that it is used when someone tries to insult another user as opposed to arguing with them. However, I have not seen your posts, but if you are insulting people (and not their viewpoint), then your neg rep is justified.

5. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    I'll tell ya what's wrong with the rep system:

1) A paying customer should never receive neg rep. Neg rep should be reserved for the moochers, so let them be the recipients of neg rep. If a paying member makes inflammatory comments or TOS violations, give a card, but if you don't like my post because you merely disagree with it, too bad. I paid for the privilege to post what I think.
    2) EIGHT green tiles plus ONE red tile should equal more than 13 points.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like that first idea. And also from the business side of things. "Pay, and we'll also throw in the ability to never receive neg rep."

2nd idea.. Yeah. Guys with 2 green tiles neg rep me and I go down. I thought that wasn't the case? If someone with that little rep negged me, wouldn't I stay neutral?

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    even stupid people can get their hands on money

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but then BS gets money from those stupid people.

(jokes aside, please.)

And in an ideal world, then this is more money to BS to get better servers, a load balancer that actually works, etc...

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't give folks carte blanc. Mods, in their forums, should be able to neg members who get out of line. :)

And the rep math has never added up. ;)

10. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm amazed that you have this system, most of the other boards (Certainly I main ones I used) have did away with this. It seems to be used wrongly (IMO) here, human nature I suppose, I have been posting on/off since 2003, I had a good rep......until yesterday when one poster gave me a bad one then got one of his friends who never posts on the board I use, to come over and clobber my rep. It seems a good way to lose contributors and create a clique ridden board, surely that's not what is wanted.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190390

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I gave you neg rep for your idiotic comments. I've no idea why the other member came in, it had nothing to do with me.

12. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    i think a better solution to rep is that "rating" thingy. You can rate a poster from 0-5 stars. It's not a add on, but an average. If they can weight the star rating according to the posts that people have, it will be even better (so people cant just create socks to demote their enemy).

13. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland

It would be better to stop the negative awards and just have positive ones, that would stop the feeling of unfairness that could and has happened and make the whole process a positive experience. Still have cliques that do not like newcomers, not much you can do about that.

14. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    If we took away the neg rep, it would lose the only remaining advantage I feel the system has. People with red nipples are usually trolls and/or stupid posters anyways (this has been my experience), and if I see someone with a red nipple, it throws up a red flag about the poster's history.

15. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland

So I've been a member since 03 and had no bad rep until last night when within 10 minutes I had two members bad repping me and one does not post on the board he bad rep'ed me in.......sounds like there should be a fairer way.

You do not know me, but the red nipple as you call it has given you an opinion about me and we have never talked?

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The rep system has always been complained about. I made a good suggestion ages ago, but there hasn't been any response in this thread from an admin/mod. They obviously don't care, so it looks like we are stuck with the same flawed and abused system.

17. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Usually, if it's only one, I take into account that there could be a situation like yours. But if it's two or more, than I have a pretty clear judgement about that person. In reality, a poster's true reputation has nothing to do with their nipple reputation. I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from most of the posters on here.

18. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland

Leaving me aside, the system is open to abuse (Not saying it's regular), and I honestly believe could drive new contributors away, is the system monitored? It could maybe work if you could take any perceived wrongdoings higher, personally I'd just scub the system and let us get on with each other while allowing mods to work the rules within clearly given limits.
    We are all adults and if others have differing opinions then discuss them or leave well alone.

19. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Great point there TimBhoy.

Just on that I don't know if any of you guys have had nothing but neg rep from ML2 due to the servers being down and him being in such a rage. Well he came up with this thread https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4726798#post4726798
    Which was pretty rude. To me this guy has got some serious issues with anger management.

20. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, we are not all adults and even the adults do not always behave like adults should. ;)

Long ago I neg rep'd One user for being a blithering idiot in a forum that I mod. This One person retaliated with neg rep and a note laughing about how powerful his rep was and that I could do nothing to him. In fact, he did have mega-rep and I had a small amount. His retaliation flipped me to red. :( Some fellow mods bumped me back to green.

The same scenario played out a second time. Tired of having sand kicked in my face by a bully, I joined the Charles Atlas Rep Building System. Now when I neg rep that One, he squeals like a stuck pig. :)

The rep system should be abolished due to the abuse by the childish Ones out there. All it takes is One to f'k things up for all.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Which is where my idea comes in. Of course, I have yet to get a reply to find out if it is technically possible or not...

22. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Jesus some mods feel like this as well, it's easy to slip into, I ignored the system until I was "attacked" :) then you want to get back at them, it's crazy. To be honest this is the first site I've been on that uses it, and it certainly seems more destructive than constructive.

Let the mods mod, with a complaints system if yer mod is mad :)

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [insane laughter]
    I am under the impression that being mad is a prerequisite for being a moderator here.
    [/insane laughter]

;)

24. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    If they pay to support BigSoccer, are they still stupid?

25. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'm saying nothing, my nipple has just gone back to green.

Just feel sorry for those carrying round red squares beside their name for no reason.