Changes need to be made in MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by josomebody, Nov 7, 2004.

1. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    NBC wont show any games except maybe All-Star and Cup. The only reason we are on ABC is because we can have a package deal with ESPN to show weekend regular season games. We wont be able to do that on NBC.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, UCLAcrew, I am very aware of the French league's status. My point is that even lowly Istres has a lot of the features that anti-MLS posters desire:

- single table
    - promotion/relegation possibility
    - playing season aligned with FIFA schedule
    - located in country that has developed Henry, Pires, etc.
    - no (American) football lines on field
    - no cheerleaders
    - properly designed SSS with partial roof
    - no American style nickname
    - no American mascot
    - advertising on jersey fronts
    - located in a country where chanting is expected at games

yet these advantages did not lead to hordes of "passionate fans" and "attractive" style. The anti-MLS element needs to be honest with itself and recognize that all they want is for MLS to sign several highly paid, foreign players who have already been anointed "talented" by foreign newspapers on every team. No discovering new talent or "support the hometown team" for them.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You know, my colleague DoctorD would never have had to type that lengthy message if only more people would invest in Sarcasm Detactors. You can download my favorite right here

http://www.sarcasmetron3000.com

4. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    If NBC will broadcast arena football and the icecapades I think they may be interested in MLS, they have a package deal because they pay ESPN to show the games, and these networks are all owned by the same company. I was just saying perhaps NBC might actaully pay the league to show these games since their sports programming sucks so badly.

5. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO NO NO!

Like others have said here I absoleutly HATE NBC's sports coverage and don't want them anywhere near soccer whatsoever!

The network that would be the best for our league is CBS, period. No network takes the sports they cover as seriously as CBS does. Major games should be on CBS while still keeping our deal with Fox Sports World. Dump ABC/ESPN.

6. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The major problem that CBS, NBC, and ABC all share is that they air college football on Saturdays.

7. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True that.

But in that case I don't think that Friday or Saturday evening games would be out of the realm of possibility a few years down the road as MLS gets popular. CBS rarely shows Saturday evening college football games.

I'm sorry, I just love CBS's sports coverage, lol. :)

8. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well golf and racing don't seem to be hurting for exposure, fans or money....Golf even seems exciting on Sportscenter! Imagine if they really gave an effort on MLS!

WNBA is a different story because I'm sure Sportscenter is getting raked over the same coals ABC does by the NBA

9. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC is the best! They should show MLS games and have Bob Costas do the announcing. That would give the league some credibility. Just kidding, obviously. But I'd like to see NBC air MLS games cause they need to get back to league sports (other than Arena Football) and cause it's my favorite network. They only show Notre Dame home games, so it's not like they have a crowded sports days during the MLS season. Hey, if they worked out a deal with the NHL I'm sure they could do the same with MLS. Even if MLS payed them to air games. Maybe in return they could actually advertise for MLS. I'd be happy if Fox would air the MLS Cup too. Allen Hopkins would be my choice as the announcer.

10. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    MLS will go to whoever offers the best mix of cheap airtime and high availability. That probably means ESPN 2 for another 5 years after 2006. ESPN 2 can realistically charge SUM more than they have in the past because SUM probably can't take its product anywhere else with a better result. A combination of Telemundo, FSW and Gol TV just won't do.

11. josomebody

josomebody New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Cleveland
    Ok, today I found out that there is a monetary prize for the US Open Cup. woops! I know that somebody did mention this earlier in the thread, but I haven't been to this board for a while due to internet problems. I would say that the most glaring problem with MLS now is the conflict of international and MLS schedules. Somebody mentioned this earlier, kudos. Also, whoever scheduled these games with Madrid (esp. the one with Galaxy) must not have really thought through the fact that Gold Cup competition conflicts with it. How is MLS going to prove any credibility without their premier players in games like this?

12. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Sounded to me like the original poster had a good idea. Just because you haven't posted in a forum does not make you an idiot or less knowledgeable in the game. Rewarding teams, and players, for their successes in a professional league is how it works in most parts of the worlds. As of now a team gets 100k for winning the MLS Cup, and its pretty much always an MLS team. Does this money just go to the MLS single entity pot and get re-distribute?? If not, and a team actually gets the money then it would seem that they should be able to benefit from it by either

a) Giving pay increases oir bonuses to the squad

or b) having an extra 100k in CAP space fpor the following season.

13. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    :eek: i shoulda read the entire thread I guess, before i posted

14. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey!
    The game has people from across the political spectrum. On the conservative side, you have AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi. The current prime minister of Italy is its richest businessman and heads the right-wing party Forza Italia.
    Forza Italia Site, English

15. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This shows our bias as serious soccer fans. We want performance. We want gladiators with talent, speed, endurance, and killer instinct. That costs too much money for too few fans.

What really matters, like in this decision, is the overall spectacle.

The drive for the league to prove its athletic merit is usually second priority, or only respected to the extent that it helps profitability. Bring Real Madrid and you will fill 50,000 seats. The other team doesn't matter much. Bring Real Madrid with the promise of the galacticos and there isn't a stadium too large.

16. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I think its the other way around.

Inter is right wing and Milan is left wing.

BTW Berlusconi was a life-long Inter "fan".

17. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I did think that. Some of these posts remind me of the movie Groundhog day

18. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The flub of Sarachan by Brandi was the last straw for me. SACK CHASTAIN! For the sake of our ears!!

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I think your ideas suck.

20. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    why be a dick? the guy was just asking some questions very respectfully. who cares if you have read it a hundred thousand times before. you can ignore it instead of being an **************.

21. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I like the idea of $100 per point per game per player. So, if your team wins one of the many relatively meaningless games during the summer, each player gets a $300 bonus. If you tie, each player from each team gets a $100 bonus.

Limit it to the 11-14 players that make the field and you'll get a lot of the underpaid kids fighting for spots on the field.

It doesn't seem like much, but it adds up. A kid like Rolfe in Chicago that's making well under 20k would probably love a chance to earn a bonus.