Change needed to MLS Reg Season Schedule

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by JamieBmore, Nov 11, 2003.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not talking about the teams.

I'm talking about selling tickets.

In countries where soccer is actually popular, that's not a problem.

In America, it's a problem.

2. samiano

samiano New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Ozone Park, NY
    The current 10-team MLS will probably not be able to pull off an August-May schedule, but if the league is able to expand into other warm-weather cities such as San Diego or into cities with retractable domes like Houston, then it might be more realistic.

3. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also for MLS converting to the FIFA calendar as well, but as has been said before:

1. We cannot do this until EVERY team has an SSS.

2. If you have the season go from November till may (playoffs starting in May), then that wouldn't be so bad because you could evenly split up the number of away, home games for the season, but that would be weird as hell to not have ANY home games at all for 3 1/2 months. And don't even think about playing soccer in march here in Colorado, lol.

4. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or MIAMI

:D

Come on MLS...a new, committed I/O and better plans for an SSS and we're back in business. Miami wants MLS :)

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still cannot expect Chicago to go for months without a home game, or to try and sell tickets in January or February.

Dustin mentioned that Dallas isn't exactly tropical that time of year (Joe Montana still has chills from the Cotton Bowl). I doubt Foxboro or East Rutherford or Washington are, either.

Now, if every team has its own retractable-roof soccer-specific stadium, by all means. Knock yourself out. :)

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    This is the part of the thread where I usually point out that the "FIFA Calendar" has nothing to do with what part of the year national leagues play their matches, or when they begin and end their seasons, it has to do with what dates are to be left open for national team play.

But since you already knew that, I'll skip it this time.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    leave the calendar the way it is
    I like this year calendar from the end of March to the end of November, beside last year final over 60,000 fans, the crowds for this year playoffs got be a lot better.

8. CeeJaa

CeeJaa New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Haven't posted here for more than a year, but wanted to take a moment to say I concur with those who call for a shorter calander in which to play the same amount of games. This is America, and I think there is a certain tempament, a type of personality for our team sports and I think soccer should try and follow that IF what we want is to grow a fan base. MLS Attendance has gone down since year one, and don't let those bloated crowds that were the result of international matches, NOT MLS games, fool you. I'd like to stay with the 30 games, starting the season in March, with one game a week until Memorial Day, weekend perhaps playing two games--that Saturday and the holiday Monday. Using this past years calander, thats 11 dates. After Memorial Day, I'd go like to see MLS go to TWO games a week, leaving some midweeks or weekend dates open for international or US Open Cup play, but by the time September rolls around, I'd like to see the playoffs begin and have the MLS crown its champion BEFORE baseball finishes its World Series. I know I am beating a dead horse about NASL days, but they completed their seasons before October 1 and I think given the attention spans of American's six months beginning to end is about right for the soccer season here. One other thing. In England, even all the way down to Division Three, if there are teams which lose players for international duty, those teams are given the option to postpone those games and I think that is something MLS should not only consider, but do.

9. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Hey, I am not claiming to be the worlds biggest MLS fan. I am not. I am a bigger fan of football then I am of soccer. I am not denying that. However, fans like you who buy the Shootout package and go to many games dont make up a large percentage of the sports fanbase. Fans like me who prefer football over soccer DO make up a large percentage of the fanbase. For MLS to grow as a league, they need to reach beyond the group of fans who are devoted to MLS and try to get some new fans as well from other sports. There is a solution where both fanbases can be happy.

MLS isnt strong enough yet to go head to head against football. Maybe one day they will be, but not yet. MLS is growing in small steps.....but they need to find their niche and not try to go head to head against the "big boys" because they won't win.

By the way, I think MLS adopting the FIFA schedule would be insane. You want the league to go under? Try that. Going head to head vs. football on top of games in frigid temperatures on top of not being able to draw anything for weekday games because school is in session makes absolutely no business sense at all.

10. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    excellent thread

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I just wish they'd take a break during major summer tournaments so the impact of national team players leaving wouldn't be so drastic. World Cup, Olympics, Gold Cup, etc.

12. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Yesterday is a perfect example of what this thread is all about. It was the MLS FINAL. The Super Bowl of Soccer in this country and really it didnt get any hype or promotion. We had hockey, NBA, NCAA basketball, and not to mention NCAA and NFL Football. Could MLS Organizers have picked a weekend packed full of anymore sporting events??? It cant help but get lost with all of the other choices for sports out there.

It was a great game with lots of goals and the poster boy of MLS showing why he is a star. What a wasted opportunity. If the game was played at the end of summer, I guarentee it would have received more media coverage. Not to mention it be a much more appealing game to watch then trying to find the ball going in and out of shadows. I just dont think the people at MLS get it.

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Where the hell were you last week? I don't have a great memory but I seem to remember something signifigant happening last week which gave MLS a decent amount of publicity? Now what was it?

In terms of playing the game in the shadows. I agree that it's too bad this game wasn't at night. For all sporting events, especially when you're playing on the West coast. It just doesn't seem as big of a deal when it's being played in the daytime.

However, all you yahoos who think. 'Such and such was another 'missed opportunity' and that 'MLS BLEW it!' because they are 'idiots.' Please, just shut up. Last time I checked soccer and MLS in this country is not exactly a 300 lb gorrilla, we're beholden to a lot of different outside factors. Let alone the fact that virtually every sport in America has to cow tow to network demands in terms of the timing of games.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that there's any evidence out there to substantiate a claim that coverage of MLS Cup would be any better if it took place at the end of summer.

Instead of getting beaten out by NBA, NHL, NFL, and college football coverage, it would be getting beaten out by coverage of the beginning of the NFL and college football seasons and coverage of the baseball pennant races.

15. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    So you are saying the 4:00 ET ESPN2 game on Saturdays that runs April through August, but stops in September and October has no effect? I think ESPN started showing games on tape delay at 1am or sometimes on Sunday instead. I guess you are also saying that local cable companies like the ones here in Baltimore which stop showing DC United games in September and October has no effect as well. Hmmm...not so sure I agree with you there.

Maxim, relax. I think MLS has done very well b/c I think they have made good choices in evaluating what works and what doesnt in the past. They have tried getting soccer specific stadiums built. They have eliminated most weeknight games during the school year. They got rid of shootouts. I just think this is the next logical change for MLS.

By the way, Adu signing with DC United would have made news at anytime during the year.

16. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm just getting a little Bigsoccer overload stemming from the Bitch Brigade. I also agree with Monster's point about the level of American soccer coverage. I don't know how much more hype you want?

17. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    I went to the Cowboy game instead of watching the MLS Cup (taped it) and I would've watched the Cowboy game on TV over the Cup too if I hadn't gone to the game and it coincided. Unless the Burn are in the Cup, football would win everytime for me. Therefore, I personally think August would be a better end date or even September when NFL games perhaps seem less important than during the stretch run to the playoffs.

I think if weekday matches didn't drop in attendance so much it would be a no-brainer to compact the season from March to August. Right now I'm not certain we have much of a choice because the number of games played is pretty much on the low side compared to the rest of the world anyway.

18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the longer season. This season, I got to the Wizards home opener before the high school and DM Menace season started, got in a summer game after the Menace season, and before the fall youth season started, and got in a late season game and playoff game after the youth season was over.

In eight years, the only weekday game in KC I've been to was the WCQ vs. Costa Rica. The long season gives me a lot more opportunities to get to a game - I only wish it were longer.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether it's 100% true or not, I have heard from someone I trust that this was the only timeslot and weekend available for the ABC time-buy of the Cup, and MLS is determined to get the game on ABC. That meant working backwards and extending the season.

The stated reason for extending the season into the fall was to make group sales to youth teams a bit easier since those teams are actually together in the fall as opposed to the late summer.

Believe what you wish. And as Dustin touched on, if you can find a real good weekend when nothing else is going on, good luck. This is America. Most weekends are pretty jammed up.

Exactly what media coverage would you like? More highlights on Sportscenter? That's not going to happen even if you play the game the day after the MLB All-Star Game when there's nothing going on.

If you didn't think that game Sunday was an appealing game to watch, then I don't know what to tell you.